JD Match Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawloser22

Bronze

Re: JD Match

Post by lawloser22 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Last edited by lawloser22 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Yep, all my info got fucked up. I'm done with this site. I'm so glad TLS convinced this company to go for free. JD match is dead. It is extremely unprofessional.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote: JD match is dead. It is extremely unprofessional.
+1. Can't believe they expected people to pay $100 for this joke.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:21 pm

I can't even complete my profile as my undergrad isn't listed and multiple requests to add it have gone unanswered. So much for that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:19 pm

So much for matching every weekend, huh?

What a joke this ended up being. Glad I didn't sign up until it was free. Next time, hire a web designer and a PR person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:21 pm

The "My Matches" page has never even loaded for me - get an error every time.

Not that running the algorithm even matters. Somehow I doubt the T14/top 10% students that firms like WilmerHale and Skadden typically interview are the ones using JD Match.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The "My Matches" page has never even loaded for me - get an error every time.

Not that running the algorithm even matters. Somehow I doubt the T14/top 10% students that firms like WilmerHale and Skadden typically interview are the ones using JD Match.
Eh, I fit those criteria and signed up. Thought it might be an augmentation to OCI. Clearly not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The "My Matches" page has never even loaded for me - get an error every time.

Eh, I fit those criteria and signed up. Thought it might be an augmentation to OCI. Clearly not.
Oh, you guys didn't hear? It turns out that JDMatch was just Bruce's elaborate scheme to trick firms into interviewing him!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 pm

So I just got matched......with a firm I already have a callback with. Hah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So much for matching every weekend, huh?

What a joke this ended up being. Glad I didn't sign up until it was free. Next time, hire a web designer and a PR person.
3 months ago my company offered to help JD Match contact firms, was essentially told "we've got it covered."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just got matched......with a firm I already have a callback with. Hah.
Come on now, lets hear those stats since you're probably the only one out of hundreds/thousands that signed up. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I just got matched......with a firm I already have a callback with. Hah.
Come on now, lets hear those stats since you're probably the only one out of hundreds/thousands that signed up. :)
Ill be honest, my stats are extremely unimpressive compared to the average TLSer. Plus, I already nailed the interview and have a CB with firm next week, so really it didnt help me out at all.

T30-40, top 25%, LR

However, since the recruiting coordinator also got an email about the match, maybe I will get an email tomorrow from the firm telling me "there is no need for the CB, because JD Match says we are good for each other; here is an offer."

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:So, what was the end result on this JD Match thing? I assume it bombed big time, but is there anything out there that would enable us to close the loop on it?
They sent out a report on a survey they did with a n of 122. Among the surprises to me:

*About 1/5 of student responders came from Tier 1 schools (really? I would have expected this to be even more dominated by TTT and TTTT)
*Students were generally positive about JD Match, by an 80/20 margin (again, really? This seems shockingly high given the rags on OCI/OCS for being ineffective)
*Happy to report that firms find JD Match a promising additional option for recruiting (I imagine it went "we need a URM in healthcare law willing to work in Topkea and no one submitted in any resume drop, check JD Match")

While I don't think they have published a list of law firms using them, from the interface I could divine that at least WilmerHale, Skadden, Proskauer, MoFo, McKenna Long, Wilson Sonsini, K&L Gates, Roetzel & Andress used the service to look at people.

It also appears that as far as JD Match was concerned, the recruiting season ended by September 18, which while late by T14 OCI standards, would seem to have missed a lot of the midlaw and niche biglaw recruiting that occurred well into October. Maybe the aviation law practice groups that needed someone willing to live in Dayton or the bigfirms needing a former chemist in DC just weren't members...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:39 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:So, what was the end result on this JD Match thing? I assume it bombed big time, but is there anything out there that would enable us to close the loop on it?
It was a terrible mess IMO. It kept dumping my info, made it impossible for me to list my grades yet kept sending me emails that I should list it.

And when you finally do get matched, there isn't any set method for getting in contact. You just gotta wait for them to call, or you try to get in contact with them. I don't see how this is ANY better than just mass mailing and they are limiting you to one match.

I wouldn't waste my time.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Being a transfer made using the service essentially impossible and I could never figure out how to present my information correctly and the site never seemed to work properly. I was also surprised that the survey results were that positive.

However, I'm not shocked that the majority of users were from T1's and T14's since I didn't see any other "publicity" for the service then on this site, and most TTT/TTTT types probably aren't even looking at these firms.

I don't know if it's necessarily a "waste of time" so much that it needs a significant amount of work before it can become a viable replacement for mass mailing (which is super easy) or being ultra aggressive with your career services office (which is not used enough). And I doubt they can achieve this by next year's OCI, so the earliest it would probably be worth trying again is in 2014 (if the service even survives that long).

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:10 pm

keg411 wrote:being ultra aggressive with your career services office (which is not used enough)
Could you explain what you mean by this? What should students do w/regard to career services that they generally don't?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:12 pm

sundance95 wrote:
keg411 wrote:being ultra aggressive with your career services office (which is not used enough)
Could you explain what you mean by this? What should students do w/regard to career services that they generally don't?
Short answer: beg for halp. And cry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay, so you recommend we beg career services for help? With what, just finding a jerb in general? I'm not relying on career services but if you had any specific recommendations as to how they should be utilized, which it sounded like you did, I'm sure we'd love to hear them.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm

sundance95 wrote:Okay, so you recommend we beg career services for help? With what, just finding a jerb in general? I'm not relying on career services but if you had any specific recommendations as to how they should be utilized, which it sounded like you did, I'm sure we'd love to hear them.
If you're a 1L, right now just worry about your grades. You don't need this for finding a 1L jerb.

BruceMacEwen

New

Post by BruceMacEwen » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for the discussion. Couple quick things:

Yes, our member firms were largely done recruiting by mid-September, except, as you note, for niche needs, so we didn't think it served any purpose to keep running the matching algorithm after that; it would imply there was still broad demand from our member firms when in fact they were much less active. But JDMatch offers firms highly targetable search features for finding students of interest far beyond the algorithm, and these are available 24/7/365.

We're "no better than a mass mailing." Our member firms would disagree. In this economy, they're inundated with resumes; but introductions resulting from a match with a student are far more powerful, as they indicate a high degree of mutual interest, and firms do follow up on these.

Firms also used JDMatch to help inform their decisions on interviews, callbacks, and offers, and to find students at schools they don't visit.

Meanwhile, we're working aggressively and continuously on enhancing both the site interface and features we can offer you, and firms. (We've made well over 100 changes since we launched last spring, some minor but some major.) Some of the most valuable suggestions have come from people like you so if you have ideas let us know: bmacewen at jdmatch.com And the problem for transfers is noted; thanks.

Finally, we're in this for the long run.

BTW, two last findings of interest from the survey: First, two-thirds of students interviewed extensively outside OCI, and students at Top Tier schools did even more of it. This would support our belief that JDMatch is a valuable complement to OCI. Second, students at top schools not only did more interviewing outside OCI, they did more of everything: Networking, researching firms, etc. File this under life is unfair if you like, but it was a strong finding. We're just the messenger here.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:30 pm

BruceMacEwen wrote: BTW, two last findings of interest from the survey: First, two-thirds of students interviewed extensively outside OCI, and students at Top Tier schools did even more of it. This would support our belief that JDMatch is a valuable complement to OCI. Second, students at top schools not only did more interviewing outside OCI, they did more of everything: Networking, researching firms, etc. File this under life is unfair if you like, but it was a strong finding. We're just the messenger here.
Who were your survey respondents? I skimmed the last two pages but didn't see anything other than the sample size so I apologize if this has been said. If the survey respondents were just random JD match members, then that's a rather self-selected population.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceMacEwen

New

Post by BruceMacEwen » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks for the question. Consumer research is virtually always on a self-select basis, for the simple reason you can't force people to participate. Same goes for focus groups, mall-intercept interviews, etc., etc. That said, 122 responses is a very good response rate. You'd have to run over a dozen focus groups to get that many respondents!

johnacastro.jd.llm

New

Post by johnacastro.jd.llm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 pm

JDMatch.com only works in August and September. I sent multiple emails to customer support; no response. I expected an algorithm to create matches in the Summer after graduation, it didn't happen. I finally got a call from the President of the company who seemed like a nice gentleman. I think the failure to disclose that the algorithm only runs in August and September may amount to False and Deceptive Trade Practices since I'm paying a fee for services when the company knows there is no service to presently offer, but I digress.

However, in all fairness, I'm sure this is an excellent service for new 3Ls entering the Fall Semester. Other than for those, it's not that much of a help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”