Salaries in NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sheendream

Salaries in NYC

Postby Sheendream » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I see all these stats stating that the average starting salary for public law in NYC is around $53 000...what are the chances of improving your salary as you advance in your career? Are they high, given that NYC is arguably the greatest legal market in the world?

MrAnon

Re: Salaries in NYC

Postby MrAnon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Is this a trick question? The lucky managers might hit 6 figures. The DA and his couple chiefs will go beyond that. That's about it. NYC is largely built around Wall Street and the folks who serve it, not public interest lawyers.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

No.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 pm

If you want to live the "Sheen Dream" public interest probably isn't the area of law for you...

Sheendream

Postby Sheendream » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Okay, thanks. I'm a junior in undergrad trying to figure my life out, I'm not sure how all the legal markets work.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Sheendream wrote:Okay, thanks. I'm a junior in undergrad trying to figure my life out, I'm not sure how all the legal markets work.

If you want to do PI, look at the LRAP programs offered by your prospective schools. these are programs that assist with loan repayment (and forgiveness after a number of years) depending on what area of law you work in. Better programs generally have more generous max salaries ($80k at some schools versus $50k at other) and more generous terms overall.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I'd also guess that the "PI" numbers are affected heavily by govt salaries, which tend to be higher than legal aid/non-profit salaries. The city starts at $60K, e.g., whereas I've heard of non-profits offering $30K.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 am

There is a bit of misinformation in this thread, I feel.

Yes, city jobs in NYC are all fairly low paying. But, the state pays a bit more, and the federal government pays a pretty decent salary. It's not that uncommon for someone to go from the NYC law dept or one of the DAs offices to the US Attorney's office, and that's public law in NYC with a good salary.

Return to “Legal Employment”