Help Unemployed 2l

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help Unemployed 2l

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:18 pm

unemployed 2l from t-20 here.

I had a cb interview with an IP litigation boutique last monday and the partner said that he would get back to me by the end of the week/early next week and not to worry because no news was good news.. still haven't heard anything. Earlier today I received an offer (with no explicit deadline to accept) to work at a govt agency (unpaid and not in the same city as my LS).

Do you recommend emailing the firm and asking about where they are in the hiring process. I feel like I do have something to tell them (the offer) but I don't want to bother them and it hasn't been that long since the interview.

Thanks

Big Shrimpin

Re: Help Unemployed 2l

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:unemployed 2l from t-20 here.

I had a cb interview with an IP litigation boutique last monday and the partner said that he would get back to me by the end of the week/early next week and not to worry because no news was good news.. still haven't heard anything. Earlier today I received an offer (with no explicit deadline to accept) to work at a govt agency (unpaid and not in the same city as my LS).

Do you recommend emailing the firm and asking about where they are in the hiring process. I feel like I do have something to tell them (the offer) but I don't want to bother them and it hasn't been that long since the interview.

Thanks

If there's no deadline for the gubmint offer, then hang tight for a few days. If you haven't heard back from the firm by later this week/early next week, then go ahead and let them know about your situation. If you really want the firm job, then stress your intentions to the firm when you "let them know" that you need to get back to the gubmint jerb soonish. Firms are often notorious for saying "we'll get back to you by X" then failing to do so. Thus, if you want to get the ball rolling, then do so by the end of the week/early next week.

Last fall, I was in a similar situation (offer outstanding, waiting to hear back from a few firms). I let the firms know, and within days the firms got back to me. Which boutique? I'm an IP-dooder myself, so I'm curious. PM me if you want.

HTH, congrats on the late-game interview, and GL!

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Would really appreciate some advice here. Another unemployed 2L.

I had an interview with a litigation firm last week (which is literally the perfect fit for me, pays well, full time, does the kind of work I want and gives full-time offers), and they said they'd get back to me by early this week. I kept going on interviews and finally received an internship, 30 hrs a week at a small firm for about $15/hr. They need my decision tomorrow. Should I contact the first firm and ask for an update?

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

yes. a paid internship is better than both options passing

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:06 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Would really appreciate some advice here. Another unemployed 2L.

I had an interview with a litigation firm last week (which is literally the perfect fit for me, pays well, full time, does the kind of work I want and gives full-time offers), and they said they'd get back to me by early this week. I kept going on interviews and finally received an internship, 30 hrs a week at a small firm for about $15/hr. They need my decision tomorrow. Should I contact the first firm and ask for an update?

Yes, tell them you have an offer with a short deadline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm

OP here,

Still no word. WTF!

I guess this means I'm not getting it?

jhett

Postby jhett » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Just contact them and explain you have another offer and ask what your status is. You have a legitimate reason for contacting them and so it's fine to put the pressure on them to respond to you. If they really do want you, then they will say that the offer is forthcoming. If not, then they'll just tell you no. Either way you'll have certainty.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Take a deep breath. Today is Thursday, and tomorrow is Friday. Call tomorrow afternoon if you've not heard back by then. Living and dying by the billable hour oft leaves little time for other things!

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:If there's no deadline for the gubmint offer, then hang tight for a few days.

I think this is wrong. OP has never been in a stronger position. Telling them he has an offer will speed things up a bit and definitely won't negatively affect his chances.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:If there's no deadline for the gubmint offer, then hang tight for a few days.

I think this is wrong. OP has never been in a stronger position. Telling them he has an offer will speed things up a bit and definitely won't negatively affect his chances.

That was my Tuesday poast, and directly above your poast is my Thursday poast. I agree he was in a strong position then, but now, it would be silly not to call tomorrow.

A Purple Cow

Postby A Purple Cow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:18 pm

OP should call today. Leveraging an offer is par for the course, and it can make all the difference. Be pro-active. This is how I got my position during 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 pm

OP here, I jumped the gun on shrimpin's advice and sent an email this afternoon. No response either way, but no letter in my mailbox either. Maybe they are just busy... either way this stress+finals sucks

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I jumped the gun on shrimpin's advice and sent an email this afternoon. No response either way, but no letter in my mailbox either. Maybe they are just busy... either way this stress+finals sucks

Give them a phone call tomorrow morning.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:04 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I jumped the gun on shrimpin's advice and sent an email this afternoon. No response either way, but no letter in my mailbox either. Maybe they are just busy... either way this stress+finals sucks

Give them a phone call tomorrow morning.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for you, OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 pm

OP here,

Called the firm this afternoon and found out the the partner in charge of hiring had been out of town all week. Hopefully I can find something out monday.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 pm

I wouldn't mention it's an unpaid gov't offer unless asked. Let them assume it's another firm offer. Firms tend to like it when people are in demand.

I would just say "I just received another offer that I need to respond to, but you're my first choice and I was wondering if there are any updates on my application."

Return to “Legal Employment”