Take 1L RA position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Take 1L RA position?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi, 0L here offered an RA position with at a t14 school for when I show up. I met a professor during a school visit, and he said he was interested in hiring me as an RA during my first year because I have solid backgrounds in math (statistics) and programming (useful for collecting and compiling statistics). He said that a lot of his research arguments backed up by statistics, and since math/science/engineering majors are hard to come by in law school, he would offer me an RA position for about 2x minimum wage (set by the school, not by him).

So I'm weighing this - surely it would be impressive to have an RA position immediately going into law school, but the time it took would surely detract from making social connections/studying, and everyone knows that first year grades are important as hell. The small amount of money isn't worth that much to me.

Any thoughts?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, 0L here offered an RA position with at a t14 school for when I show up. I met a professor during a school visit, and he said he was interested in hiring me as an RA during my first year because I have solid backgrounds in math (statistics) and programming (useful for collecting and compiling statistics). He said that a lot of his research arguments backed up by statistics, and since math/science/engineering majors are hard to come by in law school, he would offer me an RA position for about 2x minimum wage (set by the school, not by him).

So I'm weighing this - surely it would be impressive to have an RA position immediately going into law school, but the time it took would surely detract from making social connections/studying, and everyone knows that first year grades are important as hell. The small amount of money isn't worth that much to me.

Any thoughts?


Don't do it. Maybe consider doing some work over winter break or maybe, maybe, if you feel comfortable once you have fall grades back, do a little bit of work in the spring.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:25 pm

I would advise against it. The money is trivial compared what you have the potential to make if you get decent 1L grades, and you may find yourself in need of the time.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm

How many hours a week? 20 - no way. 5 - yea why not. 10- maybe.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How many hours a week? 20 - no way. 5 - yea why not. 10- maybe.

+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273193
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 pm

If the professor is willing to be flexible about assignment deadlines to work around your other obligations, you should definitely do it. I RA'd for a chill professor like that my 1L second semester and still had lots of time to waste on other things. If the opportunity had existed first semester, I would tell the old me to do it without hesitation.

Based on my own experience, I'd worry less about the number of hours (assuming it's under 15 or so) and more about the rigidity of the professor's intended work schedule for you. If he's going to need things on tight deadlines and be completely dependent on you to complete them, then it's probably not a good idea even if the total amount of work isn't very much.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Take 1L RA position?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the professor is willing to be flexible about assignment deadlines to work around your other obligations, you should definitely do it. I RA'd for a chill professor like that my 1L second semester and still had lots of time to waste on other things. If the opportunity had existed first semester, I would tell the old me to do it without hesitation.

Based on my own experience, I'd worry less about the number of hours (assuming it's under 15 or so) and more about the rigidity of the professor's intended work schedule for you. If he's going to need things on tight deadlines and be completely dependent on you to complete them, then it's probably not a good idea even if the total amount of work isn't very much.


This is a really salient point.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.