Handling two jobs-advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Eco

Bronze

Handling two jobs-advice

Post by Eco » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:05 pm

So, I have a really, really great legal internship for the summer here in D.C.. However, before knowing whether I would get that internship or not, I accepted 10-15 hours worth of work per week with a professor at my school just to be safe. Basically I couldn't turn him down that week because he wanted an answer, and the legal internship interview wasn't till the week after. I sort of felt confident I would get it but in today's world you can never be too careful.

Anyways, I'm not yet sure how many hours I'll do at the internship. I hinted at being interested in doing at most 30, but there's always a possibility I will have to do 40, which would mean 55 hours a week of work. Working for the professor=at home work, I just take boxes of stuff home and edit and read and write. No researching, just reading what he has and editing it and stuff.

So I think its doable even if I have a 40 hour work-load at my legal internship, plus I get a great recommendation letter and beef up my resume even more.

The question I have is, anybody been in this situation before (taking 2 jobs at once)? I've only done it once but each job was split at 20 hours each. So in the situation I outlined above, what's your advice on how to handle it, assuming my legal internship doesn't let me do a 30-hour work week and instead wants me to do 40?

glitter178

Silver

Re: Handling two jobs-advice

Post by glitter178 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Eco wrote:So, I have a really, really great legal internship for the summer here in D.C.. However, before knowing whether I would get that internship or not, I accepted 10-15 hours worth of work per week with a professor at my school just to be safe. Basically I couldn't turn him down that week because he wanted an answer, and the legal internship interview wasn't till the week after. I sort of felt confident I would get it but in today's world you can never be too careful.

Anyways, I'm not yet sure how many hours I'll do at the internship. I hinted at being interested in doing at most 30, but there's always a possibility I will have to do 40, which would mean 55 hours a week of work. Working for the professor=at home work, I just take boxes of stuff home and edit and read and write. No researching, just reading what he has and editing it and stuff.

So I think its doable even if I have a 40 hour work-load at my legal internship, plus I get a great recommendation letter and beef up my resume even more.

The question I have is, anybody been in this situation before (taking 2 jobs at once)? I've only done it once but each job was split at 20 hours each. So in the situation I outlined above, what's your advice on how to handle it, assuming my legal internship doesn't let me do a 30-hour work week and instead wants me to do 40?
You're asking how to handle a 55-hour work week?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:13 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Eco wrote:So, I have a really, really great legal internship for the summer here in D.C.. However, before knowing whether I would get that internship or not, I accepted 10-15 hours worth of work per week with a professor at my school just to be safe. Basically I couldn't turn him down that week because he wanted an answer, and the legal internship interview wasn't till the week after. I sort of felt confident I would get it but in today's world you can never be too careful.

You're asking how to handle a 55-hour work week?
^this.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Yeah, I guess I'm more looking for advice from people who have worked two-jobs totaling more than 40+ hours, each in different locations with long commutes etc...

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Eco wrote:Yeah, I guess I'm more looking for advice from people who have worked two-jobs totaling more than 40+ hours, each in different locations with long commutes etc...
My senior year in undergrad I had a very stressful job that averaged 40-50 hours a week and was also a full-time student. It's really not that hard to juggle responsibilities especially since you said you can do the RA work from home. Just work full-time during the day and do 2-3 hours of RA work at night with weekends free.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Eco wrote:Yeah, I guess I'm more looking for advice from people who have worked two-jobs totaling more than 40+ hours, each in different locations with long commutes etc...
Do work for the prof at night and on weekends. It's just about managing your time. 55 hours is really not that much time out of your week (9a-5p internship; 8p-10p prof; and a saturday morning for the prof).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”