DE/WV/MD market - my school not in proper region

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DE/WV/MD market - my school not in proper region

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey,

Current 1L at BU/ND/IL, top 15%. My longterm SO got a job in one of the aforementioned regions. The job is an incredible and unique opportunity, and it would be a poor choice to pass it up. Problem is that it has a 5 year contractual commitment.

Besides my SO, I have no links to the region (My 2L courseload includes classes on one of region's biggest practices, not sure if that counts for anything) and of course, my school is not in the proper region.

Possible to break into this market? (Looking toward late-summer/fall hiring) They just got the job recently and we were pretty much affirmatively planning against it happening, so while we're of course pleased about it, it's creating a lot of stress. We'd like to get hitched in the next year or two, but if the market leaves me hundreds of miles away well, then there's not much point. :(

Anyone have any help/insight here? Feedback appreciated.

baboon309

Re: DE/WV/MD market - my school not in proper region

Postby baboon309 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey,

Current 1L at BU/ND/IL, top 15%. My longterm SO got a job in one of the aforementioned regions. The job is an incredible and unique opportunity, and it would be a poor choice to pass it up. Problem is that it has a 5 year contractual commitment.

Besides my SO, I have no links to the region (My 2L courseload includes classes on one of region's biggest practices, not sure if that counts for anything) and of course, my school is not in the proper region.

Possible to break into this market? (Looking toward late-summer/fall hiring) They just got the job recently and we were pretty much affirmatively planning against it happening, so while we're of course pleased about it, it's creating a lot of stress. We'd like to get hitched in the next year or two, but if the market leaves me hundreds of miles away well, then there's not much point. :(

Anyone have any help/insight here? Feedback appreciated.

Delaware

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 pm

These are three pretty disparate markets. I'd say DE is the most open to students with no ties due to the corporate nature and the presence of larger firms. MD firms I looked at were looking for MD ties. WV? Not much there other than Orrick's doc review farm. Maybe you could do Pittsburgh for energy stuff and commute?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 pm

OP here;

need to be close to DC. My SO is from DE/MD so that might help. How hard is it to break into DE? I know there's a T4 there, but because there's so many corporations and restructurings I was kind of hoping that they might be more amenable to someone who had a legitimate reason to be there.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:00 pm

I love DE...it's the best state EVAR!

DE firms are big on connections first, intent to stick-around second. Many of my DE interviewers during OCI mentioned that students interviewing from outside the region don't realize how small/quiet DE can be...sort of implicating that they prefer people to know what they're getting themselves into and to be really into it.

My advice...DE is definitely a market outsiders can break into (especially with your great grades, should you keep them there). I'd assume you'll be doing a mail-campaign this summer, so make SURE to stress your situation in your cover letters. An intent to stick around for a while is REALLY important for those firms. DE is a "small community," so keep it personalized and make it genuine. A student from a good school with great grades and a REALLY compelling reason to be there should really help. Go on NALP, get a list of all the DE firms, and get ready to start your campaign as SOON as you're finished with 1L exams.

GL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm a 1L at a school in that range and have much worse grades than you (just below median). I had no trouble finding a job in MD. I sent 6 applications got 5 interviews and 3 offers. Some of the interviews I had in other states really focused on how committed and connected to the area I was, but none of the MD employers seemed to care (although I do have significant ties to the state). It only came up when they asked where I was going to live for the summer. That attitude may change when it comes to paying jobs, I guess.

Oh and if your SO is a husband/wife or fiancee, you should have no trouble convincing them that you are committed to working in the area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Appreciate the replies. There's some alumni representation at the firms in the region, so we'll see how it works out. I'm going to mass mail them with really targeted cover letters, notify alums in the respective firms when I do so that I've applied, and hope for the best.

I think I might simply get my SO to expedite the whole 'marriage' thing so that there's no question if it comes up with employers.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a school in that range and have much worse grades than you (just below median). I had no trouble finding a job in MD. I sent 6 applications got 5 interviews and 3 offers. Some of the interviews I had in other states really focused on how committed and connected to the area I was, but none of the MD employers seemed to care (although I do have significant ties to the state). It only came up when they asked where I was going to live for the summer. That attitude may change when it comes to paying jobs, I guess.

Oh and if your SO is a husband/wife or fiancee, you should have no trouble convincing them that you are committed to working in the area.

1L hiring =/= 2L firm hiring.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:43 pm

OP - I also think you will have an easier time if you are at ND. I think that's the lowest ranked school that you could make an argument for being a "national" school. While placement doesn't match the T14, geographical distribution is similar.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Significant other connection + grades should be all you need if you can interview worth a damn. Don't mind any of this national vs. non-national school bs.

My experience is that t50 + grades + connection + some semblance of interviewing skills = a job in markets you have even a tenuous connection to.

Start researching firms now in the little free time you have, reach out to the alums that your school has in the region now, and have your personalized cover letters and resume ready to go by July.

phillaw

Postby phillaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Are you thinking of transferring? With top grades you might be able to get GU or Penn (very close to DE by the way). I think Penn lets transfers do 2L OCI. Plus, this would make the whole regional ties thing negligible. But then, would you have to forfeit a huge scholarship to leave your current school?

Return to “Legal Employment”