What to wear

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
random5483

Re: What to wear

Postby random5483 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:11 pm

nosaj123 wrote:
313D313 wrote:
drylo wrote:Overall, the conversation was extremely useful to me. I learned a lot about hiring from the perspective of a partner, and he gave me a number of tips on what skills I should develop to make me a better lawyer and how I could display them to be a more desirable candidate in the future.

Mind sharing some of that wisdom?

A lot of what he said was very specific to me and my background. For example, my resume was very business oriented, listing off my accomplishments (I have a few years of corporate experience). Instead, he said I should focus on skills I've gained that would benefit me in a legal experience...

Some of the things that he said he looked for in a candidate were:
-good writing, including non-legal writing experience
-selling experience (the higher up the food-chain you move in a firm, the more it becomes a sales job)
-communication skills, including speaking/presenting to a variety of audiences, and just interacting with a variety of people in general
-keeping busy. For example, on my resume I listed the three jobs I have had since college. He was also interested in the jobs I have had since high school and wanted to see that I did something with my summers in college (and was happy I worked a bit in high school too).
-diverse interests. He said I should put a variety of things on my resume because I never know what is going to click with the person reading it

Some of his questions are non-traditional. I have 3 years of full-time work experience before law school. Due to my working, most prospective employers focused on what I did those three years, and not my experiences during undergrad or the summers in between (I am glad they did not because I was a slacker in undergrad!)

Return to “Legal Employment”