Clerkship: Grades versus Recommendations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship: Grades versus Recommendations

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:44 pm

I have strong recommendations - well known professors who are willing to make calls and put in the effort to help me out, but only mediocre grades (HLS). Does anyone have a sense of how judges (or their clerks...) weigh the two? Can strong recommendations overcome my relatively non-spectacular grades?
I really wish this process was more transparent...

OldManHunger

Re: Clerkship: Grades versus Recommendations

Postby OldManHunger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:57 pm

From what I can tell, recommendations can make up for grades that are close to, but not quite at, the level normally required for the clerkship. E.g., normally want top 10% but will look at top 20% if they get a meaningful call from a professor, etc.

At least that's what I've gathered from the clerkship interviews I've already lined up. But I defer to someone who is actually in chambers already. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of friends and my own, very limited, experience as an applicant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, recommendations can make up for grades that are close to, but not quite at, the level normally required for the clerkship. E.g., normally want top 10% but will look at top 20% if they get a meaningful call from a professor, etc.

At least that's what I've gathered from the clerkship interviews I've already lined up. But I defer to someone who is actually in chambers already. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of friends and my own, very limited, experience as an applicant.

you've already lined up clerkship interviews? are you an alumni?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 am

Depends on what you mean by mediocre and where you are applying.

I think I agree with the person who said it can help a little, but if you are really over-reaching, it's not going to make a difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can tell, recommendations can make up for grades that are close to, but not quite at, the level normally required for the clerkship. E.g., normally want top 10% but will look at top 20% if they get a meaningful call from a professor, etc.

you've already lined up clerkship interviews? are you an alumni?

Some 2Ls have already had, or have already been asked to come in for, interviews. Usually these are the more competitive clerkships where word of mouth via professors is a key factor.

Return to “Legal Employment”