1L SA at top firm: do we get offers at the end of the summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA at top firm: do we get offers at the end of the summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 pm

so I love the firm that I'll be at this summer but would like to interview during OCI with other firms who I think might be better

does anyone know whether firms give 1L's who summer with them offers to come back for the 2L summer? and if so would I have to accept on the spot or lose the offer?

I'd really love to get an open offer from my 1L summer firm while having a chance to interview with the two or three other firms I might wanna go to.

thanks

sebastian0622

Re: 1L SA at top firm: do we get offers at the end of the summer

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm

How do you know you love the firm when you haven't worked a day there yet? Not to be rude, that just doesn't make any sense.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:46 pm

All I can tell you is that it's possible. I know a 2l who's going back to the same firm he worked at during 1l for his 2l summer. From what I'm told, hes also guaranteed a job after he passes the bar. The firm I'm clerking at this summer is also bringing back a 2l that clerked for them his 1l year. He didn't even apply for the job, they just called him up and asked if he wanted it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:04 am

sebastian0622 wrote:How do you know you love the firm when you haven't worked a day there yet? Not to be rude, that just doesn't make any sense.

first impression from the interview, general reputation, talking to other people who have summered there

the firm is known as one of the best to work at

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 am

I'm in the same position and from what I hear, if they like you they usually won't give you an offer right away, and will instead invite you back for the 2L summer. What usually happens is you take them up on that but spend only 2-3 weeks there, splitting with another firm for the rest of 2L summer. I assume if you really like the place you can come back another full summer (in fact, I'm sure your 1L firm would prefer that since that effectively locks you in with them). In any event, such an arrangement essentially translates into both firms offering you a job at the end of 2L summer.

jkay

Postby jkay » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:... such an arrangement essentially translates into both firms offering you a job at the end of 2L summer.

I bet this happens all the time.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the same position and from what I hear, if they like you they usually won't give you an offer right away, and will instead invite you back for the 2L summer. What usually happens is you take them up on that but spend only 2-3 weeks there, splitting with another firm for the rest of 2L summer. I assume if you really like the place you can come back another full summer (in fact, I'm sure your 1L firm would prefer that since that effectively locks you in with them). In any event, such an arrangement essentially translates into both firms offering you a job at the end of 2L summer.

This is generally what happens. There are some exceptions, however.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am

Offers given to 1L SAs are usually for the second half of the summer. They're required to keep the offer open for 28 days.

Edit: Makes me wonder, though. The firm I'll be working with has already told me they're inviting me back for my 2L summer. Does that mean they'll give me a formal offer at the end of the summer to to ensure that my 28 day deadline doesn't end before I've had time to interview with other firms?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 am

jkay wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:... such an arrangement essentially translates into both firms offering you a job at the end of 2L summer.

I bet this happens all the time.

For people with the option, sure. Firms that extend a 1L summer the 2L summer option will, barring some unimaginable faux pas, extend an offer at the end of the 2L summer. If you have also done a full 2L summer at another firm, you have a regular chance (which can be in the region of 100%) of an offer there with a thumb on the scales due to demonstration of value.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:59 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Offers given to 1L SAs are usually for the second half of the summer. They're required to keep the offer open for 28 days.

Edit: Makes me wonder, though. The firm I'll be working with has already told me they're inviting me back for my 2L summer. Does that mean they'll give me a formal offer at the end of the summer to to ensure that my 28 day deadline doesn't end before I've had time to interview with other firms?

There is no categorical answer to this, but:
1. even if a firm offered you formally on your last week, at most schools, you would be able to get OCI done before your offer expired.
2. the 28 day rule is a suggested floor not a ceiling. If you feel so strongly about interviewing with other firms, ask for an extension on your response.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Offers given to 1L SAs are usually for the second half of the summer. They're required to keep the offer open for 28 days.

Virtually the same boat -- I think a formal one will come as it is a presumed 2L SA, but they retain the right to not offer it if something egregious happens lol.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 pm

1, You should check their attorney bios and see if they've had people clerk with them for two summers.

2. You should ask them if they make offers to come back.

I worked at an NLJ250 firm 1L summer and was invited to come back for 2L summer. They'll generally give you ample time to go through OCI and make a decision. I had till mid November (because I asked for it), and received the offer in early September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:1, You should check their attorney bios and see if they've had people clerk with them for two summers.

2. You should ask them if they make offers to come back.

I worked at an NLJ250 firm 1L summer and was invited to come back for 2L summer. They'll generally give you ample time to go through OCI and make a decision. I had till mid November (because I asked for it), and received the offer in early September.

if thats true for most firms then that would be awesome

it would make OCI a breeze knowing you have an offer in hand while still getting to interview with the two or three firms you might want over your current firm

appreciate the responses guys

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:2. You should ask them if they make offers to come back.

Seems really counter-intuitive that any firm wouldn't do this as a rule.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

There is no categorical answer to this, but:
1. even if a firm offered you formally on your last week, at most schools, you would be able to get OCI done before your offer expired.
2. the 28 day rule is a suggested floor not a ceiling. If you feel so strongly about interviewing with other firms, ask for an extension on your response.

Appreciate it. From the interaction I've had with them, it seems like my firm will be pretty accommodating as far as the offer goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:00 pm

I looked this up recently. I'm pretty sure that for 1L SAs, you have 28 days from the beginning of your on-campus interview program, assuming the offer is extended before that date. So figure mid-Sep expiry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Question,

How much does work product vs. spring 1L grades factor into being invited back for your 2L summer? I'm at HYS and while we don't have traditional "grades" I definitely did better in fall than spring, so I'm wondering how that could affect me getting an offer to return next summer. I've really enjoyed my time at the firm so far, and would like to return if offered. Do most top firms ask 1L SAs for grades before making an offer for 2L summer?

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 am

Generally, you could work 2L summer at a different firm, get an offer at that firm, and then decide between your 1L and 2L firm. The firm you don't choose generally will not be offended, nor will your current one if you decide to spend your second summer at a different firm.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question,

How much does work product vs. spring 1L grades factor into being invited back for your 2L summer? I'm at HYS and while we don't have traditional "grades" I definitely did better in fall than spring, so I'm wondering how that could affect me getting an offer to return next summer. I've really enjoyed my time at the firm so far, and would like to return if offered. Do most top firms ask 1L SAs for grades before making an offer for 2L summer?

Yes, and it is usually a decently big factor. That being said, I don't think it is as big of an issue if you're at HYS. I've heard of 1Ls being no offered because their spring grades "tanked" -- unless you snagged a few LPs, iunno how you'd tank at HYS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 am

OP here

just found out that my firm doesn't even require that I come back 2L year

I should be able to go to another firm 2L year and then after graduation just choose between the two firms. Seems like a sweet deal. Hope I don't F up the chance to get an offer from this place.

Return to “Legal Employment”