Take offer or hope for something better?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Take offer or hope for something better?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm a 1L with median grades at a T20. I have an offer from Public Citizen that's due in a week. I got two more interviews after getting the offer, one from the department of veterans affairs and one from the AO international division. The VA interview is 3 days before my PC offer acceptance is due (I already had an extension), and the AO interview hasn't even been scheduled yet.

Assuming the positions all carry similar experiences and all are unpaid (though the AO gives commuting $$), should I be taking the PC job and running with it.... or should I risk it, miss my PC deadline, and hope one of the government jobs comes through?

Also, if I want credit for my summer my application is due the same day my PC deadline, so if I give up PC and don't have anything else by that date I won't be getting school credit.

Anonymous User

Re: Take offer or hope for something better?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I also have a small firm (one office each in DC and AK) sitting on whether or not they're taking a summer associate this year

Sup Kid

Re: Take offer or hope for something better?

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L with median grades at a T20. I have an offer from Public Citizen that's due in a week. I got two more interviews after getting the offer, one from the department of veterans affairs and one from the AO international division. The VA interview is 3 days before my PC offer acceptance is due (I already had an extension), and the AO interview hasn't even been scheduled yet.

Assuming the positions all carry similar experiences and all are unpaid (though the AO gives commuting $$), should I be taking the PC job and running with it.... or should I risk it, miss my PC deadline, and hope one of the government jobs comes through?

Also, if I want credit for my summer my application is due the same day my PC deadline, so if I give up PC and don't have anything else by that date I won't be getting school credit.

1L year, unpaid, credit is only possible for 1, (assuming PC is a legal job) = seems like a no-brainer...

Return to “Legal Employment”