1L Summer Drug Testing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Drug Testing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 am

I've got a job interning with a state judge this summer. I've been told that they perform a criminal background check, and I signed a form consenting to fingerprinting. What are the odds I walk in on Day 1 and they ask me to take a drug test?

Grizz

Re: 1L Summer Drug Testing

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:42 am

Hey I have an idea. Don't do drugs and you don't have to worry about it. Herp derp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 am

You'll probably get a bunch of Captain Americas coming in to tell you that drugs are bad, but the answer is that it's pretty likely since it's a public entity. Better start drinking some cranberry juice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:45 am

rad law wrote:Hey I have an idea. Don't do drugs and you don't have to worry about it. Herp derp.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I'd find someone with a creative solution on a law school forum.

Anyone want to answer the question? Obviously, I'm probably gonna end up holding off for a while. I'm just asking the question out of curiosity/a little bit of stubbornness.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 am

Cranberry juice is a myth hth, best bet is to just stop doing whatever youll test positive for

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:You'll probably get a bunch of Captain Americas Mr. Mackeys coming in to tell you that drugs are bad, but the answer is that it's pretty likely since it's a public entity. Better start drinking some cranberry juice.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am

Exceedingly unlikely that a judge will drug test you. My guess is about 3–4%

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 am

The Detox kits you can get at your average organic grocery store, herb shop, or whatever should work. Chug water.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 am

Cupidity wrote:The Detox kits you can get at your average organic grocery store, herb shop, or whatever should work. Chug water.

They work sort of, I know people who have failed with those. However if you run/work out a lot while detoxing it will make youre system clear out faster

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Cupidity wrote:The Detox kits you can get at your average organic grocery store, herb shop, or whatever should work. Chug water.

They work sort of, I know people who have failed with those. However if you run/work out a lot while detoxing it will make youre system clear out faster

First, I'm assuming were talking about marijuana.... If it's anything else, you really should stop, but you DO NOT want to work out within 72 hours of testing. Chug water, tons of water, we're talking gallons per day for 48 hours before. However, marijuana stores in fat cells, exercise metabolizes fat and increases the level present for testing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 am

Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First, I'm assuming were talking about marijuana.... If it's anything else, you really should stop, but you DO NOT want to work out within 72 hours of testing. Chug water, tons of water, we're talking gallons per day for 48 hours before. However, marijuana stores in fat cells, exercise metabolizes fat and increases the level present for testing.

Yeah, I'm talking MJ, for the record.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 am

Cupidity wrote: If it's anything else, you really should stop, but you DO NOT want to work out within 72 hours of testing.

I'm glad someone knows what the hell they are talking about ITT.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 am

sundance95 wrote:
Cupidity wrote: If it's anything else, you really should stop, but you DO NOT want to work out within 72 hours of testing.

I'm glad someone knows what the hell they are talking about ITT.

We all had to go through college to get to LS.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 am

I'm kind of wondering what the background check will be for one of my summer positions as well... Not that I'm concerned about testing positive though. I'm more wondering the extent of the background check I'll have to do for a Federal Dist. Judge. I'm thinking it will just be NCIC and maybe fingerprint, but a little concerned there could be polygraph. Sorry to highjack the thread a bit, but does anyone know if polygraph is ever required for Fed Judge externship/internship, or if at most it would be fingerprint?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 am

1) Start exercising. Eat a lean diet. Burn fat. There is no sense in drinking tons of water yet.
2) An army recruiter told someone I know to take niacin pills. Maybe?
3) Stop exercising before the test (I don't know if 72 hours is necessary, but that poster seemed confident about it, so ok).
4) Start chugging water the day before to clear out your bladder.
5) Day of: Don't burn fat!
Eat fried eggs etc. and some dense carbs. You want plenty of fat so your body gets more than it needs, but it can't all be fat or else you'll burn it anyway.
Drink toooons of water. You'll be pissing all the time. Keep doing it until you get there. You will piss water.

Give yourself as much time is possible. Light smokers should be ok with two weeks, but heavy daily users should give themselves 3 months to be sure. Can't hurt to be on the safe side.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 am

BTW, strongly doubt you will get a drug test for the position. But I guess better safe than sorry.

klounsbe

Postby klounsbe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Last time my internship required me to undergo an extensive background check and get a security clearance - one summer they called me in to drug test months before the position started. Another summer they called me a week before without letting me know. It's possible they will test you but Idk if I'd consider it likely. Though to be certain I'd give it as much time as possible just in case - i think they usually say 3 months for everything to get out of your system

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm

It all depends on your body type. If you have more fat on your body then more THC will store in your fat cells...it also depends on how much you smoke. Multiple times a day? Once a day? Once a week? all of this will affect how long thc stays in your body. Ive heard at most 3 months for detox...If you work out a lot and drink a lot of water you should be fine in 3 months...My advice is to pick up some at home tests to give you a little peace of mind. Also, just get a biglaw job and they dont test :) Im sure youll be fine, but let us know if they test.

oh and
Rock Chalk wrote:Don't most drug tests disqualify you/make you retake if it's too diluted?
...yeah they will make you take it again. Also, some of the detox kits can be detected and will automatically disqualify you. HAPPY SMOKING :)

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It all depends on your body type. If you have more fat on your body then more THC will store in your fat cells...it also depends on how much you smoke. Multiple times a day? Once a day? Once a week? all of this will affect how long thc stays in your body. Ive heard at most 3 months for detox...If you work out a lot and drink a lot of water you should be fine in 3 months...My advice is to pick up some at home tests to give you a little peace of mind. Also, just get a biglaw job and they dont test :) Im sure youll be fine, but let us know if they test.

oh and
Rock Chalk wrote:Don't most drug tests disqualify you/make you retake if it's too diluted?
...yeah they will make you take it again. Also, some of the detox kits can be detected and will automatically disqualify you. HAPPY SMOKING :)

I don't know how true this is. When I had to take a drug test, I didn't have to go, and they allowed me to have all the water I wanted in order to expedite the process. My sample was almost totally clear and they didn't care.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

cubswin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It all depends on your body type. If you have more fat on your body then more THC will store in your fat cells...it also depends on how much you smoke. Multiple times a day? Once a day? Once a week? all of this will affect how long thc stays in your body. Ive heard at most 3 months for detox...If you work out a lot and drink a lot of water you should be fine in 3 months...My advice is to pick up some at home tests to give you a little peace of mind. Also, just get a biglaw job and they dont test :) Im sure youll be fine, but let us know if they test.

oh and

I don't know how true this is. When I had to take a drug test, I didn't have to go, and they allowed me to have all the water I wanted in order to expedite the process. My sample was almost totally clear and they didn't care.

There is a substantial difference in drinking a few cups of water to go and having drank so many cups in the last few days that your kidneys are just pushing out close to pure water. Color has some, but little, to do with the molecular purity from my somewhat limited understanding - meaning that yes dark is not pure, but light usually still has lots of minerals, chemicals, blood, and so forth. I dunno if that is routinely tested for.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”