Just laid off...taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Julio_El_Chavo

Re: Just laid off...taking questions

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 pm

kwais wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I love all the nervous 0Ls in here begging for information to factor into whether this could happen to them. Not that it would affect their decision to go to law school, though.

not really what this thread is like at all. did you read it?

These questions are likely from 0Ls:

Approximate size of the firm?

Which school (or range of school) did you go to? What was your approx. class rank? How long had you held the job? What did the job pay?

Everyone knows this board is 99% 0Ls anyway.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
kwais wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:I love all the nervous 0Ls in here begging for information to factor into whether this could happen to them. Not that it would affect their decision to go to law school, though.

not really what this thread is like at all. did you read it?

These questions are likely from 0Ls:

Approximate size of the firm?

Which school (or range of school) did you go to? What was your approx. class rank? How long had you held the job? What did the job pay?

Everyone knows this board is 99% 0Ls anyway.

hey buddy, how about you GTFO and maybe, maybe you can come back when you learn what you are talking about. most of the informative posts on TLS are by power posters with 1,000+ post counts and a large percentage of them are not 0Ls.

God I hate people who babble whatever comes to their mind without knowing if it is true or false.

happy187

Postby happy187 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

I know you said small college town I would assume 57k goes pretty far. But would you say this is average for your market?

Lt. Aldo Raine

Postby Lt. Aldo Raine » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:uga. dont know my class rank but I was right in the middle. 2 years, 57k +health.

but UGA statistics report $108k average!
http://www.law.uga.edu/class-2009

(57,000 + 160,000)/2= $108.5K

Sounds right. UGA seems to be rounding down.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 pm

happy187 wrote:I know you said small college town I would assume 57k goes pretty far. But would you say this is average for your market?

57k does not go far with 108k in student loan debt. I would say, based on the interviews I've had since getting sliced, that this is above average for the market.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Lt. Aldo Raine wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:uga. dont know my class rank but I was right in the middle. 2 years, 57k +health.

but UGA statistics report $108k average!
http://www.law.uga.edu/class-2009

(57,000 + 160,000)/2= $108.5K

Sounds right. UGA seems to be rounding down.

My starting was 50

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 pm

gwuorbust wrote:hey buddy, how about you GTFO and maybe, maybe you can come back when you learn what you are talking about. most of the informative posts on TLS are by power posters with 1,000+ post counts and a large percentage of them are not 0Ls.

But I want to be a power poster :cry: and I only have 300 tiny pink posts compared to your rock hard, throbbing 1000+ posts. I guess I can always dream...

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:hey buddy, how about you GTFO and maybe, maybe you can come back when you learn what you are talking about. most of the informative posts on TLS are by power posters with 1,000+ post counts and a large percentage of them are not 0Ls.

But I want to be a power poster :cry: and I only have 300 tiny pink posts compared to your rock hard, throbbing 1000+ posts. I guess I can always dream...

Perhaps. But you're gonna need about 700 more posts before I start taking you seriously.

Edit: Holy shit, I almost have 2000. I need to go outside more.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:57 pm

beachbum wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:

Perhaps. But you're gonna need about 700 more posts before I start taking you seriously.

Edit: Holy shit, I almost have 2000. I need to go outside more.

---Immediately megapoasts in the lounge to get to 2000

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 pm

for the OP:

what kind of jobs were people in the upper half/top of your class getting? do they still have their jobs?

what about people below the middle of the class?

do you mind sharing your thoughts on how or whether initial "place" in the class based on LSAT/GPA reflects performance in general? i'm not sure if i've worded that correctly...(ie were you about median LSAT/GPA range for UGA coming in? above? below? etc.)

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 am

onmytoes812 wrote:for the OP:

what kind of jobs were people in the upper half/top of your class getting? do they still have their jobs?

what about people below the middle of the class?

do you mind sharing your thoughts on how or whether initial "place" in the class based on LSAT/GPA reflects performance in general? i'm not sure if i've worded that correctly...(ie were you about median LSAT/GPA range for UGA coming in? above? below? etc.)

It's hard for me to speak to the status of my whole class, as I keep in touch with exactly 0 of my classmates. My best guess is maybe the top 10-15% of the class got larege firm jobs. I know of at least a few who were offered the old $XXk stipend to sit around for a year (deferments). I know one guy who is clerking for Clarence Thomas. Clarence Thomas clerkships are one weird thing that uga has on lock.

There is no initial place in the class based on anything. You are in there in the arena for the first time with the rest of the gladiators. Your performance will be measured by nothing except your ability to write a law school exam. Your relative LSAT and gpa do not factor into your ability to do this, at least in my experience and estimation.

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:20 am

Wow! You talk to 0 of your classmates? Were you a 2009 grad? Would you elaborate on your general UGA experience?

Good to know about entering percentiles versus performance. The reason I ask is that I'm afraid to go somewhere like Texas where I will be in the 25th percentile of scores, only to get eaten alive. My thought process was "if I was competitive for admissions/on scholarship somewhere, I probably have at least a marginal chance of doing better, all things considered." Maybe not?

Of course I plan to work as hard as I can no matter where I go, but the average Texas student vs. average Alabama students vs. average Georgia students is something I'm trying to figure out.

Feel free to PM me instead if you want.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:30 am

I liked uga. Generally great professors, awesome town. Didn't really connect with many other law students, but I wasn't interested in the social aspects of law school so much.

Return to “Legal Employment”