(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:13 am

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Re: FBI?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:31 am

Use the search functions as there are tons of threads on this.

But it is not necessarily rare for Jd's to be hired as agents but it is definitely uncommon. It's certainly easier to get on as an Agent after having spent time in the military or the NYPD. That also doesn't put you 200k in debt. And even with a JD you will need work experience before being considered. Meaning as a newly minted JD from whatever school you go to you are aren't getting hired. But if you get your JD, become a DA for 3-4 years, and then decide to switch that might be doable. And no, once you are an agent you will not be practicing which means that you won't be able to transition into a legal DOJ job. As far as how hard it is, it is certainly not easy, and you will need to have a pretty clean background. Anything specific you want to know will be in other threads or on their website.

ETA after thinking about it, i'm sure it is conceivable to go from practicing, to an agent, to AUSA but I haven't seen it and I imagine in most USAO offices would rather hire a biglaw associate/DA/DOJ honors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:06 pm

If you're serious about this, go JAG. Marine JAG preferably, since you'll go to OCS and also TBS and be a fully-qualified line officer in addition to JAG.

Once in, seek out any overseas positions you can get, preferably with an infantry unit or MEU. Pick up a TS clearance on the way. Keep your nose clean and get promoted to Captain before resigning your commission.

That would be your best bet. The FBI doesn't like to hire non-military / non-law enforcement. Lawyers straight out of law school are a dime a dozen. Marine officers with experience in a combat zone? Not so much. Which do you think would make a better FBI agent?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Father was an FBI agent who did a fair amount of work with hiring. I asked him about this the other day, and he mentioned it wasn't exactly an ideal candidate. Law school isn't going to prepare you much with skills for the FBI. Sure, law is a big part of it, but any guy who's worked in the Bureau for a couple years is going to know more about practical applications of federal law than a law student who spent three years learning it in school.

His view of it was anecdotal, but I wouldn't be surprised if most FBI agents share a similar view that a kid straight out of law school isn't going to get moved to the top of any hiring lists.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I have an internship with them this summer.

First, to pique their interest you are going to need to have proper work experience. Also, keep in mind the suitability portion weeds out a lot of candidates. Done marijuana in the last three years, out. Used any other drug ever, out. High levels of debt, out. Fail the polygraph (as ~50% of applicants do), out. The whole application process takes about a year.

Also, probably important to note that I dropped out of law school for an MBA. The FBI loves finance types to chase the Madoff's of the world.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote: High levels of debt, out.

In other words, went to law school, out. :lol: :?

Return to “Legal Employment”