Partners and associates at small firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partners and associates at small firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 am

I'm doing summer work for a small law firm that has 10 attorneys. More than half of the ten are partners. It seems odd to have that many partners (my wife told me the same thing when she asked me...nevermind). I know they stay busy (they have more support staff than attorneys), they pay summer associates surprisingly well, and they have a lot of established business. But I also wonder what the ceiling could be for the partners there, and I also wonder what the associates may make.

I do know that it is very highly-regarded for a small firm. Anyone have experience/input here?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Re: Partners and associates at small firms

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing summer work for a small law firm that has 10 attorneys. More than half of the ten are partners. It seems odd to have that many partners (my wife told me the same thing when she asked me...nevermind). I know they stay busy (they have more support staff than attorneys), they pay summer associates surprisingly well, and they have a lot of established business. But I also wonder what the ceiling could be for the partners there, and I also wonder what the associates may make.

I do know that it is very highly-regarded for a small firm. Anyone have experience/input here?
All depends on the firm.. Every firm is different, and small firms can do whatever they want. I've seen small firms with one partner and many associates, and other small firms with mostly partners and a few associates. Compensation also widely varies based on the firm. The firm size itself is not necessarily reflective of how much you'll make -- there are firms under 10 attorneys that pay entry-level attorneys the same as biglaw, and then there are firms that under 10 attorneys that don't pay entry-level attorneys anything (see craigslist for the latter, lol). There are average numbers for what the average entry-level attorney makes at a certain firm size range, but that's not necessarily reflective of what you'll make (there is a ton of variance between small firms -- they really can do whatever they want).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing summer work for a small law firm that has 10 attorneys. More than half of the ten are partners. It seems odd to have that many partners (my wife told me the same thing when she asked me...nevermind). I know they stay busy (they have more support staff than attorneys), they pay summer associates surprisingly well, and they have a lot of established business. But I also wonder what the ceiling could be for the partners there, and I also wonder what the associates may make.

All depends on the firm.. Every firm is different, and small firms can do whatever they want. I've seen small firms with one partner and many associates, and other small firms with mostly partners and a few associates. Compensation also widely varies based on the firm. The firm size itself is not necessarily reflective of how much you'll make -- there are firms under 10 attorneys that pay entry-level attorneys the same as biglaw, and then there are firms that under 10 attorneys that don't pay entry-level attorneys anything (see craigslist for the latter, lol). There are average numbers for what the average entry-level attorney makes at a certain firm size range, but that's not necessarily reflective of what you'll make (there is a ton of variance between small firms -- they really can do whatever they want).
Thanks for the response. Anyone else have insight, or does this pretty much cover it?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Thanks for the response. Anyone else have insight, or does this pretty much cover it?
That pretty much covers it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”