Anyone else stutter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone else stutter?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm

I have a slight stutter that usually occurs when I'm nervous. Because I am very aware of it I try to tame it down as best I can.

I'm afraid that this may hurt me when doing interviews. Anyone else have this problem?

gabbagabba

Re: Anyone else stutter?

Postby gabbagabba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm

T-t-t-TODAY JUNIOR!!

Stutters can be overcome with practice and experience; just keep practicing, talking out loud to yourself, etc, and it'll work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I work with a partner who had a stutter, and he has an excellent, booming practice. I work with another partner with a physical abnormality and his practice is huge. These things can be overcome. Have confidence in yourself and people will too.

Additionally, you can work with a speech therapist to try to tame it. Gabbagabba is an insensitive twit, ignore him.

gabbagabba

Postby gabbagabba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm

The first sentence was a joke - learn to laugh

The second sentence was serious - it can be overcome

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Joe Biden used to have a severe stutter. Recited poetry in the mirror and forced himself to speak in public. Can be overcome with effort and confidence, I'd think (hope).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Joe Biden used to have a severe stutter. Recited poetry in the mirror and forced himself to speak in public. Can be overcome with effort and confidence, I'd think (hope).

I really don't think the best solution to stuttering is to make tons of gaffs.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 pm

PitchO20 wrote:Joe Biden used to have a severe stutter. Recited poetry in the mirror and forced himself to speak in public. Can be overcome with effort and confidence, I'd think (hope).

I think biden got over it by sticking his foot in his mouth.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm

...ba-zing...

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a slight stutter as well; I did speech therapy when I was younger when it was worse and have improved substantially since then. Normally my stuttering is unnoticeable to others unless I happen to be very tired or nervous. Aside from the usual ways to get around it that I'm sure you've learned (saying a different word w similar meaning that doesn't make you stutter, speaking slowly), I think the best bet for dealing with interviews is to just practice it in front of a mirror. You generally know the type of initial questions you're going to get asked, so if you can have some "canned" responses, that will give you time to get comfortable in the interview so that when questions become more random and specific to your credentials, your stutter won't be as bad because you won't be as nervous. From my experience, if you come off stuttering initially it some how forms a different impression than if you happen to stutter during the middle of your interview, so I would focus on having a fluid opening dialogue.

Like people have been saying, it can be overcome by your normal responses as well as strategic planning. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Winston Churchill stuttered as a youth - saw how he turned out.

Or as Charlie Sheen would say, you can cure any disability with your brain.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Winston Churchill stuttered as a youth - saw how he turned out.

Or as Charlie Sheen would say, you can cure any disability with your brain.

We don't all have tiger blood.

Return to “Legal Employment”