Calling Small Law Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Calling Small Law Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 am

Hey all,

URM (AA) 1L here at a t20-t30 looking to work in the NJ/PA market where the alumni base is pretty marginal. Anyhow, I am very below median and have completely struck out for my job search thus far. Do you think cold calling small law firms is warranted? Its really late in the game as of now and I would really like some legal experience this summer. I do have plenty of ties to market if that would be helpful. Thanks for the help.

XxSpyKEx

Re: Calling Small Law Firms?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:40 am

Send a resume and cover letter to them first. Indicate on your cover letter that you will contact them to set up an interview in X time. Then "cold call" them on X date, as indicated in your cover letter. This is a lot more ambitious than a lot of law students are willing to be, and it might just work because of that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:38 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Send a resume and cover letter to them first. Indicate on your cover letter that you will contact them to set up an interview in X time. Then "cold call" them on X date, as indicated in your cover letter. This is a lot more ambitious than a lot of law students are willing to be, and it might just work because of that.

I was thinking about sending in a resume and cover letter. But a lot of small firm websites do not have a direct recruiter than I can get into contact with to do such a thing.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Send a resume and cover letter to them first. Indicate on your cover letter that you will contact them to set up an interview in X time. Then "cold call" them on X date, as indicated in your cover letter. This is a lot more ambitious than a lot of law students are willing to be, and it might just work because of that.

I was thinking about sending in a resume and cover letter. But a lot of small firm websites do not have a direct recruiter than I can get into contact with to do such a thing.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

Come on, don't let that stop you. Just check out the website if they have one, most have attorney profiles, or "about us" sections which will tell you who started the firm or whatever. Or just send it to one of the named partners. Most of these <10 person firms are not going to have a formal hiring partner. Or you can just call and talk to the receptionist and say you are a law student and you'd like to know which attorney usually handles law student clerks.

dark

Postby dark » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Don't be shy.

Outright cold calling small firms actually works and is a normal thing to do. Just say you are a law student looking for a summer job and ask if they would be interested in taking you on. No need to send a cover letter, resume, or transcript unless they ask you to email one or bring it with you (for an interview). When possible, try to speak to an actual lawyer at the firm, rather than whatever secretary or assistant answers the phone. You might get a bunch of no's, but you find out about them instantly, rather than sending out emails or mailing your information and waiting a week to follow up.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I did an email version of this. It worked for one firm in particular. I emailed a partner because he went to my law school and at the same time I emailed the hiring manager. The partner they didn't have any job openings, sorry. The hiring manager said they hadn't had summer associates in a few years but they were considering it again this summer and she really wanted the partners to hear about me. She also said that the reason my email stood out was because I mentioned I was interested in an area of law that not many 1Ls are interested in.

Still waiting to hear from them, and was offered another position in the meantime, but it's definitely worth doing. Read up a little bit on the firms' more obscure practice areas and if they're interesting to you then tell 'em that.

Return to “Legal Employment”