Entertainment and Sports Law Employment Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Entertainment and Sports Law Employment Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am also interested in sports/entertainment stuff. I don't have any connections, but I am making it work.

First, if you're interested in working with a team, you may need to have connections because teams have maybe one general counsel on staff. There's not a ton of turnover, so you will have to do a lot of work for them (clinics, internships, etc). Basically as much free work as you are able. If you'd like to work with a league, the options are a bit more open, though not from Loyola or Pepperdine. MLB hires 1Ls each summer, but they go to Top 5 law schools. Most of the people who join the MLB offices have worked at Proskauer. If you want to work for the NFL, you'd be well off if you worked at Covington since they do a bunch of the NFL's work. It's unlikely you'd make it to these firms from Loyola or Pepperdine.

If you want to be an agent, then you can go through law school, but if you hope to work for a large agency (e.g., WME, CAA, etc), then just know that you have to go through the agent training program, which means you have to start in the mailroom and be someone's bitch. It's sort of demoralizing after spending 3 years and thousands of dollars on law school.

I'm interested in sports, but think I may want to do entertainment. I asked someone in the legal department of a major studio in LA which firms they generally use for outside counsel. They said Skadden LA and O'Melveny. You can get a job at OMM from Loyola, but I they don't interview at Pepperdine. I'm sure you have to be a top student at Loyola to get the OMM spot.

I know you have to be a top student to get a job at a place such as OMM, but how many people do they even hire from Loyola when UCLA and USC are the same city?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm looking to get some insight here.

Trying to choose between a top 20 school and a 40's school in a major market that is offering me an internship in a pro front office 1L summer. Should I go for the paid internship that can allow me to start networking and enhance my resume for when I hope to make the transition from biglaw to sports down the road - or - should I head to the T-20 (which is a cheaper option) and better my biglaw chances?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm

lawfreak wrote:By the way for the duche bag who said I'm giving bad advice, the president of the Florida Marlins, David Samson, is an alumni of Cardozo. Eat that!!

Eat that.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lawfreak wrote:By the way for the duche bag who said I'm giving bad advice, the president of the Florida Marlins, David Samson, is an alumni of Cardozo. Eat that!!

Eat that.

This makes for a thoroughly disappointing day on TLS. He was such a delightful troll. :|

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Eat that.

+1 :lol:

This thread on entertainment law has been entertaining.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:05 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:This makes for a thoroughly disappointing day on TLS. He was such a delightful troll. :|

It's a one-game ejection. He'll be back (but not for long if he does that again).

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know you have to be a top student to get a job at a place such as OMM, but how many people do they even hire from Loyola when UCLA and USC are the same city?

They hire a couple.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm

you misspelled "dutch bag" bro and I don't appreciate you insulting my dutch heritage

Return to “Legal Employment”