1L needing some help with summer job strategy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L needing some help with summer job strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:28 pm

I'm a 1L with very few prospects so far... I'm at a low T20 with median grades, 1 year work experience before law school.

I received an offer from a pretty well known consumer rights advocacy group... the same day I got the offer I got a call from someone asking me if I was interested in having my resume forwarded to the Administrative Office of the US Cts international-something (I was outside, rushing to a meeting, and a little distracted when they called). They said that this particular group is fairly quick about turning around applications.

Has anyone had any experience with what-might-be the office in question? Or otherwise generally speaking do you think there's a chance they'll get back to me early next week about this? It was through USAJobs. The group that I have the offer through gave me a week to accept... can I ask them for an additional week or is that too much?

Is govt work always better? Neither position is paid, but the AO will pay for my commute and apparently there is a fitness center I can use. I think the experiences would be of similar calibre.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L needing some help with summer job strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 pm

If neither one is paid, it DOESNT MATTER. No one cares what you did for your 1L summer, plus the AO thing sounds it will give you lots of stuffs to talk about during your 2L OCI.

I would take the AO one and run.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L needing some help with summer job strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm

You say "it DOESNT MATTER" and then you go on to say that a good 1L experience will give him lots of stuffs to talk about during 2L OCI? Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Your 1L experience can matter, depending on what you do with it. As long as it's not legal, people won't hold it against you, but if you do something that particularly appeals to you or your employer, it can be a bonus, just like any other internship.

If I were you (I'm not the OP), I would ask for an additional week's extension. It can't hurt. They already gave you an offer. They won't (and probably can't) take it away because you asked for an extension.

Return to “Legal Employment”