How good are connections in regards to finding a biglaw job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sullidop

Re: How good are connections in regards to finding a biglaw job?

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:16 pm

tome wrote:
Lawquacious wrote: . . . I go to a lower T1 and just found out a classmate got a biglaw SA in CA (the school I'm at isn't even in CA); his uncle is in-house counsel for the firm. I'm sure that had a ton to do with it . . .

What? Don't they at least teach you enough at a lower T1 to construct a coherent bullshit law hiring story?

He probably meant of counsel.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Knowing an associate at a firm is to firm hiring

As being a representative in your college's student government is to law school admissions.

If you know the named partner, managing attorney, or hiring partner, thats one thing. But your run-of-the-mill associate or partner doesn't have any sway.

One benefit though, is they can tell you how to game the system. For example, A friend told me that Ropes is proud of its SA Partner Mentoring program and so I added it into my cover letter.

Aspirator

Postby Aspirator » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Cupidity wrote:One benefit though, is they can tell you how to game the system. For example, A friend told me that Ropes is proud of its SA Partner Mentoring program and so I added it into my cover letter.

Still didn't get you a summer job at Ropes, so I guess that means you know so much about what they look for! Shedaisy!
Last edited by Aspirator on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Aspirator wrote:
Cupidity wrote:One benefit though, is they can tell you how to game the system. For example, A friend told me that Ropes is proud of its SA Partner Mentoring program and so I added it into my cover letter.

Still didn't get you a summer job at Ropes, so I guess that means you know d***-all about what they look for! Shedaisy!

Well this is suspicious

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:Taxguy really may be the most diligent flame I've ever seen on this site.

This is so goddamn true.

I kind of want to meet him in person. Though, I don't think that'd work out well for me.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm

This is super important and I think a lot of people overlook it. Just meet with an associate at the firm who graduated from your school--they'll tell you lots of helpful things. Even if they don't, you can say in your CL for 2L OCI that you are excited about this firm, spoke to xxx. Every firm I interviewed with during 1L OCI seemed impressed/interested/less bored when I said I spoke to one of their 2L SA's or associates about working there prior to the interview.

To be clear, knowing an associate at a firm like K&L Gates is worth next to nothing in "influence" terms if that's what you're asking.

Merr

Postby Merr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Rule11 wrote:Connections that might help you get biglaw that you otherwise would not have gotten:

• Close family member is GC or Deputy GC of an important client
  • Close family friend is the hiring partner, or on the hiring or executive committee
  • You're having an affair with the hiring partner

Connections that won't help:
  • Pretty much everything else

Note that having a family member who's a partner at the firm probably won't help you, because most firms have fairly strict anti-nepotism norms (and sometimes hard rules).

Does the bolded part really work? I have a close relative who is an important client of a sizable law firm, but I didn't think to pursue it since I am not that interested in that kind of work and did not think large clients had all that much influence in hiring. Even so I think it is good to know just in case. How does one exactly go about turning such a connection into employment?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 am

Merr wrote:
Rule11 wrote:Connections that might help you get biglaw that you otherwise would not have gotten:

• Close family member is GC or Deputy GC of an important client
  • Close family friend is the hiring partner, or on the hiring or executive committee
  • You're having an affair with the hiring partner

Connections that won't help:
  • Pretty much everything else

Note that having a family member who's a partner at the firm probably won't help you, because most firms have fairly strict anti-nepotism norms (and sometimes hard rules).

Does the bolded part really work? I have a close relative who is an important client of a sizable law firm, but I didn't think to pursue it since I am not that interested in that kind of work and did not think large clients had all that much influence in hiring. Even so I think it is good to know just in case. How does one exactly go about turning such a connection into employment?

"Hi Uncle Client!! It's your nephew Student calling, and was wondering if you could help me out. As you know, I'm in law school and the legal economy is awful. I have decent grades, but not really quite good enough to work at Biglaw firm you send all your very valuable business to. Do you think you could put in a good word for me next time you talk to your contact at Biglaw firm -- I'd really appreciate it. I'll be sure to send you my resume so you have it. Thanks!!"

Notes: 1) fill in appropriate names and try to do this in person, preferably with some small talk (or beers) beforehand. 2) If your grades aren't even close to the minimum for the firm, you also probably don't have a shot, so don't make Uncle Client look bad.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:39 am

Sup Kid wrote:"Hi Uncle Client!! It's your nephew Student calling, and was wondering if you could help me out. As you know, I'm in law school and the legal economy is awful. I have decent grades, but not really quite good enough to work at Biglaw firm you send all your very valuable business to. Do you think you could put in a good word for me next time you talk to your contact at Biglaw firm -- I'd really appreciate it. I'll be sure to send you my resume so you have it. Thanks!!"

Notes: 1) fill in appropriate names and try to do this in person, preferably with some small talk (or beers) beforehand. 2) If your grades aren't even close to the minimum for the firm, you also probably don't have a shot, so don't make Uncle Client look bad.

The V10 I worked for in NYC hired a kid at median from Cardozo because his father was CFO of a large company that spent a shiatload of money every year. How good your grades have to be in this situation depends directly on how big your relative is at the company and how much money that company spends at the firm.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 am

legaleagle9 wrote:0L here. Just found out the my cousins very best friend (like pretty much brother) is an associate at K&L Gates. How good is that for me? Or is it completely irrelevant?

If you are top 25% at a T10 school, this will help a lot!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 am

legaleagle9 wrote:0L here. Just found out the my cousins very best friend (like pretty much brother) is an associate at K&L Gates. How good is that for me? Or is it completely irrelevant?

lol

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 am

Merr wrote:Does the bolded part really work? I have a close relative who is an important client of a sizable law firm, but I didn't think to pursue it since I am not that interested in that kind of work and did not think large clients had all that much influence in hiring. Even so I think it is good to know just in case. How does one exactly go about turning such a connection into employment?

A friend of a friend got a biglaw job this way. I'll see if I can find out what they did, but I imagine it's just going to be your relative opening up a dialogue about you with who he primarily deals with. Sup kid is probably somewhat on point with how to go about it and Para is right that the importance of the client is going to dictate how much leeway there is.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 am

Kohinoor wrote:

lol

This is a good example of someone to ignore. There are many people here trapped in the echo chamber and unwilling to think for themselves. Someone on here at some point said that connections mean nothing, and it has now been repeated enough times that people like this believe it blindly. I know a number of people for whom connections made a difference one way or another. I got both my 1L summer externship 100% and my 2L SA at least partly through connections. You generally (probably almost always) have to have grades and a school that put you in the range. As I said before, this guy is not a good contact yet, but buy the guy a coffee or a beer and see what happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:22 am

Listen, connections are great but they may end up not working out for you. My uncle was going to set me up with a biglaw internship after 1L and an SA position following 2L. Problem? He divorced my aunt (aunt is the blood relative) and now I cannot count on his help. Connections are helpful, but may be subject to change (like my situation).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 am

What about if I know a partner at a firm? What if I was to knock up said partners troll daughter? Too likely to backfire or master plan?

tome

Postby tome » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 am

The fact that a connection might not work out if something unlikely happens does not mean that connections in general are not useful. Also no one here is saying that connections are often the only factor, just that sometimes they can be the deciding factor.

I am not saying that your anecdotes and hypotheticals are irrelevant, just that they do not show what you seem to think they show. (In the same way that my anecdotes do not show that connections are always--or even usually--helpful.)

Merr

Postby Merr » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am

paratactical wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:"Hi Uncle Client!! It's your nephew Student calling, and was wondering if you could help me out. As you know, I'm in law school and the legal economy is awful. I have decent grades, but not really quite good enough to work at Biglaw firm you send all your very valuable business to. Do you think you could put in a good word for me next time you talk to your contact at Biglaw firm -- I'd really appreciate it. I'll be sure to send you my resume so you have it. Thanks!!"

The V10 I worked for in NYC hired a kid at median from Cardozo because his father was CFO of a large company that spent a shiatload of money every year. How good your grades have to be in this situation depends directly on how big your relative is at the company and how much money that company spends at the firm.

Thank you both for the advice I appreciate it. I already have something nice set up for this summer, but I am going to see said person after exams so I will talk to them about it then. I certainly would never want to do anything that could make them look bad so I will be sure to be careful. I doubt it will actually go anywhere, because I have got what I want right now and by midsummer I should have lots of lines open in some interesting stuff for 2L year. As I said I am not especially interested in Biglaw, but I think I should explore every avenue just in case.
Last edited by Merr on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:56 am

Is cousins very best friend even really a "connection"? I mean have you even met your cousins friend

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:28 am

I've got a question and figured this might be better than just starting a new thread.

Heading to law school in the fall and trying to decide between a T-20 school in the Midwest and a school in the 30's in-state and where I did my undergrad.

The major appeal of the T-20 is the ability to live somewhere new for at least a little while. I've always figured that if I strike out in my target market (my target market is not in the Midwest, so I'm hoping that the T-20 school's BS about "national reach" has some merit), that I could come back home and easily land a job. This thread has me doubting the viability of that.

Here are my connections, let me know if I can safely rely on them as a fall back option.

- My fiancee has been the personal assisstant to the hiring partner at a biglaw firm in town for 2 years. They're incredibly close and I've met him a number of times and he has a good opinion of me.

- A judge from my hometown recently became a US District Court Judge. I did a bunch of clerking and interning at law firms around my hometown during undergrad and dealt with him and his office a lot. He knows who I am, is best friends with all the lawyers I've worked for and has been for over 20 years. All of my former employers have offered to write me a recommendation should I want to intern with his chambers after 1L or clerk after graduation.

Basically I'm wondering how solid my ability to return to my home state is? I know it is still going to take stellar grades in order to get any biglaw position or clerkship, but do these connections give me a fighting chance?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45 am

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:07 pm

tome wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

lol

This is a good example of someone to ignore. There are many people here trapped in the echo chamber and unwilling to think for themselves. Someone on here at some point said that connections mean nothing, and it has now been repeated enough times that people like this believe it blindly. I know a number of people for whom connections made a difference one way or another. I got both my 1L summer externship 100% and my 2L SA at least partly through connections. You generally (probably almost always) have to have grades and a school that put you in the range. As I said before, this guy is not a good contact yet, but buy the guy a coffee or a beer and see what happens.

I have an excellent rebuttal.

Return to “Legal Employment”