Summer internship not in the field I want.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer internship not in the field I want.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:45 am

The TLS conventional wisdom seems to be that, as long as the 1L summer involves legal work, then you're not at a disadvantage later on. But is this true for niche fields, too? Specifically, labor law?

I'm a 1L at a T1 in an overcrowded market, about top 10% of my class, and I've only been accepted to one firm (after throwing applications to a series of firms/unions/nonprofits/agencies since January). It's a pretty successful public interest boutique involved in some big class-actions, but it won't pay (and my school hasn't really helped me find funding opportunities that include students working at firms). I'm interested in labor and employment law, and, while the place that accepted me does some (not much) employment law, I want to get into the labor side, and I'm surprised by how big the divide between labor and employment law is. Does this put me at a disadvantage for getting into labor law later?

While I'm at it, how bad should I feel about taking an internship that I'm just not that enthusiastic about? It isn't that I hate the place that accepted me (I quite like some of the work they do), but I just didn't get a great vibe from it when I visited. It's a long commute, plus I'm pretty sure my workspace will be some corner I have to clean out myself, and I really didn't want to take out summer loans. I have another week or so to accept, so I'm hoping for a miracle with some other labor firms (while I'm at it, is a decent civil rights boutique better than a not-so-decent labor firm when the latter field interests me more?). But I'm pretty demoralized--people kept telling me that I'd have an easier time finding something given my GPA.

Any thoughts?

IhateFoxHunting

Re: Summer internship not in the field I want.

Postby IhateFoxHunting » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am

If nothing comes up by the deadline then I would accept it. Many people would literally kill to have an offer.

tomwelling

Re: Summer internship not in the field I want.

Postby tomwelling » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 am

I really don't think it will make a difference for labor law.

It does help to be able to express some interest in the field because it is kind of a unique field, but it is fine if you do first year work in another area. It sounds like you will be able to express interest anyway

You should try to get a job in labor law next year, though- it will help a lot if you get a 2L summer job in the field. If you can't get a job at a firm in the fall, apply to the NLRB regional offices, NLRB ALJs, and the Peggy Browning Fellowship.

Return to “Legal Employment”