Is it possible to get into corporate law without..... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
People's Eyebrow

New

Re: Is it possible to get into corporate law without.....

Post by People's Eyebrow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Already taken Corporations..Going to big Market. Given the squeeze in the schedule I can take either Secured Transactions or Securities Regulation--

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:00 am

2L who went through OCiP last year. I have a social sciences degree and I was fine during all of my corporate law interviews. I did ask other attorneys if they had a background in finance, and most said no. When I asked if there were any special classes I should take, they almost all unanimously recomended business associations, accounting for lawyers, tax, securities, and a few others I can't remember. Oh, and at least one person at each firm said I should start subscribing to the Wall Street Journal to familiarize myself with the jargon that's used as well as what's going on.

So, no, having no finance background won't hurt you. Most firms don't expect you to have one or to even know what corporate law is (since law school usually teaches litigation skills.....I say usually so that I don't get attacked for not acknowledging that some schools have business law practicums).

Disclaimer: I worked in a law firm doing business type stuff before law school, but I've seen plenty of Boalties without any finance/business background land big law corporate law gigs.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:04 am

12AngryMen wrote:
Rule11 wrote: How would a firm know your LSAT score? I suppose if you were a big enough tool to put it on your resume, they might "take that into account" as evidence of a horrid personality and reject you.

edit:

Rocon--no dividends, sorry. For what it's worth, I think you got a negative response because you sounded like you thought your major was particularly impressive. I'm sure you didn't mean to come across that way, but you did.
Are you familiar with the interview process? Or are you naive enough to think that they simply gather all of their information from a piece of paper? Still looking for someone with actual experience to answer this for me.
I worked in recruiting for a bit at a V20, and no - they do NOT care about your LSAT score. This is ridiculous. After getting into law school, there are entirely new quasi objective ways to measure candidates - grades, law review, moot court winners, etc.

learnedpaw

New

Post by learnedpaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 am

rocon7383 wrote:Sidenote:

While it may not matter so much if you have a liberal arts degree, if I were ever up for a job as in house counsel in a business firm, would my Business Administration Major with dual concentrations in finance and marketing pay dividends?

When I decided to apply to LS, it was too late to switch majors without having to graduate late. I love history/writing/all that fluffy jazz and wouldn't have minded some easier classes but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Consequently, I am taking Operations and Production Management, Advanced financial analysis, Financial Management, and business calculus this semester. Yay.
At my school, business degrees were the "fluffly" ones.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 am

learnedpaw wrote:

While it may not matter so much if you have a liberal arts degree, if I were ever up for a job as in house counsel in a business firm, would my Business Administration Major with dual concentrations in finance and marketing pay dividends?

When I decided to apply to LS, it was too late to switch majors without having to graduate late. I love history/writing/all that fluffy jazz and wouldn't have minded some easier classes but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Consequently, I am taking Operations and Production Management, Advanced financial analysis, Financial Management, and business calculus this semester. Yay.
my schools the opposite. T30 business school, while Liberal Arts is in the abyss of grade padding and fluffy classes about hugs and kisses.

I would assume this sort of thing varies from school to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

12AngryMen

New

Post by 12AngryMen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

rocon7383 wrote:
learnedpaw wrote:

my schools the opposite. T30 business school, while Liberal Arts is in the abyss of grade padding and fluffy classes about hugs and kisses.

Business majors are some of the most delusional narcissists in UG (they all think that they are Shia Lebeouf from Money Never Sleeps), so I automatically picture OP dressed business at any perceived opportunity while pretending to talk important business on his BlackBerry (that his mom pays for) and laugh at his attempt to make a business degree sound legit. But say whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better about your shitty degree OP.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 am

12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
learnedpaw wrote:

Business majors are some of the most delusional narcissists in UG (they all think that they are Shia Lebeouf from Money Never Sleeps), so I automatically picture OP dressed business at any perceived opportunity while pretending to talk important business on his BlackBerry (that his mom pays for) and laugh at his attempt to make a business degree sound legit. But say whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better about your shitty degree OP.
I don't really care for my degree, I'd rather have a history major going into law school because I love the subject and feel my grades would have been better. The blatant inferiority complex displayed on this thread by liberal arts majors, I assume like yourself, is funny though. I'm talking about MY SCHOOL, where my liberal arts major friends have coasted through college and are loving it. I'm not disparaging you, Napoleon. Relax.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:56 am

rocon7383 wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:

Without work experience you business undergrad major won't matter at all.
I was kinda hoping for either a law student applying for jobs or a lawyer to answer this question. Not a 0L like me. You may very well be right though.
He's right. During/after law school, nobody cares what your UG major was unless it is either backed up by WE or is engineering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

12AngryMen

New

Post by 12AngryMen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

I don't really care for my degree, I'd rather have a history major going into law school because I love the subject and feel my grades would have been better. The blatant inferiority complex displayed on this thread by liberal arts majors, I assume like yourself, is funny though. I'm talking about MY SCHOOL, where my liberal arts major friends have coasted through college and are loving it. I'm not disparaging you, Napoleon. Relax.
Bio major. Face it, your business degree is prob the laughing stock of all degrees, right up there next to a communications major and a step below a trades certificate. The grass is always greener on the other side in your delusions though aint it?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 pm

12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
learnedpaw wrote:

:roll: lol, the econ, finance, operations, etc majors in the business school at my University are probably, on average, the most succesful people to come out of the school besides the pre-med kids.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
12AngryMen wrote: Business majors are some of the most delusional narcissists in UG (they all think that they are Shia Lebeouf from Money Never Sleeps), so I automatically picture OP dressed business at any perceived opportunity while pretending to talk important business on his BlackBerry (that his mom pays for) and laugh at his attempt to make a business degree sound legit. But say whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better about your shitty degree OP.
Re: the delusional narcissism. While I've met some brilliant business majors that have gone onto great careers*, they were also never under the belief that their college experience was particularly rigorous. Most partied all the time. At the same time, there were a bunch at my school (which has a fairly good business school) that would constantly complain about how underestimated the difficulty of their 400 level Business Management course was, how liberal arts majors had it so much easier, how engineers were confused peons that assumed business classes weren't as hard. So I can see how a lot of interaction with the latter type (the majority) would cause someone to label business majors as delusional narcissists.

*These were mostly economics majors (a few finance/CS) at schools like HYP/UChicago/Northwestern

Say what you will about which type of study is easier (business vs. liberal arts/humanities), but in my experience, liberal arts majors tend to have less of an inferiority complex than business majors.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

czelede wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
12AngryMen wrote: Business majors are some of the most delusional narcissists in UG (they all think that they are Shia Lebeouf from Money Never Sleeps), so I automatically picture OP dressed business at any perceived opportunity while pretending to talk important business on his BlackBerry (that his mom pays for) and laugh at his attempt to make a business degree sound legit. But say whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better about your shitty degree OP.
Re: the delusional narcissism. While I've met some brilliant business majors that have gone onto great careers*, they were also never under the belief that their college experience was particularly rigorous. Most partied all the time. At the same time, there were a bunch at my school (which has a fairly good business school) that would constantly complain about how underestimated the difficulty of their 400 level Business Management course was, how liberal arts majors had it so much easier, how engineers were confused peons that assumed business classes weren't as hard. So I can see how a lot of interaction with the latter type (the majority) would cause someone to label business majors as delusional narcissists.

*These were mostly economics majors (a few finance/CS) at schools like HYP/UChicago/Northwestern

Say what you will about which type of study is easier (business vs. liberal arts/humanities), but in my experience, liberal arts majors tend to have less of an inferiority complex than business majors.
Just to clarify, the finance majors could not have come from HYP. But tons of finance majors from Wharton, Stern, Kellogg, Ross, Sloan, Haas, Olin, Mcdonough, Mcintire etc are all extremely succesful .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 pm

12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

Bio major. Face it, your business degree is prob the laughing stock of all degrees, right up there next to a communications major and a step below a trades certificate. The grass is always greener on the other side in your delusions though aint it?
Yeah, that is in no way true. I mean, I'd be willing to have a debate about the subject but the resounding inaccuracies found in your comment seem to speak to either an inherent idiocy or a propensity to exaggerate and distort things. I have no interest in either. Good luck in law school, i wish you nothing but the best! I just wish my finance/marketing major was as useful as a major in poetry :(

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:03 pm

12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:

hmm, sounds like someone lost his gf to a b-school student. You bitter, bro?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:46 am

12AngryMen wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
learnedpaw wrote:

I'm the OP and I'm a liberal arts major. I think you've mistaken me with some other poster :)

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:17 am

gah, throwing my hat into the ring!

my ugrad has a very strong business school, and i have a lot of business major friends. it seems to be really easy and a blowoff major...but hey, one of my majors was psychology so who am i to talk? :P

but if we're talking about most liberal arts majors vs. business majors, i wouldnt say one is, on average, particularly more difficult than the other...only when we get into the natural sciences like chem, math, engineering, etc., do i start believing there would be a noticeable difference between majors in difficulty.

being successful with a major, especially a business major, does not necessarily speak about how rigorous the curriculum was. i can also believe that business majors, like law school students, tend to be of a certain personality type...but that can be said about almost anything lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:59 am

^ ya, it will depend on the individual person. Personally I struggle more with my econ major than poli sci because I'm not so math inclined. But being in the business school is worth it because of the exposure and opportunities I'll have. Plus the business school median income is about 12 grand more than humanities.

12AngryMen

New

Post by 12AngryMen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:^ ya, it will depend on the individual person. Personally I struggle more with my econ major than poli sci because I'm not so math inclined. But being in the business school is worth it because of the exposure and opportunities I'll have. Plus the business school median income is about 12 grand more than humanities.
An econ/poly sci major :roll: The epitome of a dumb ass.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

12AngryMen wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:^ ya, it will depend on the individual person. Personally I struggle more with my econ major than poli sci because I'm not so math inclined. But being in the business school is worth it because of the exposure and opportunities I'll have. Plus the business school median income is about 12 grand more than humanities.
All the pent-up nerd rage in the world won't get her back, bro. Just move on.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
12AngryMen wrote:
I was like lolwut. poli sci is useless, I agree, But econ is about as useful as they come at the right school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Ive looked at the work of a lot of business majors. Its pretty freaking easy. I wouldnt say that its useless, but its nothing to throw in anyone elses face.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm

12AngryMen wrote:

Who hit you? :(

It's not your fault! it's not your fault!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Unless your major requires linear algebra and modern physics, your rigor is questionable.

Why would you want rigor, though? Just grab easy classes -> 4.0 GPA -> Profit.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
12AngryMen wrote:
I was like lolwut. poli sci is useless, I agree, But econ is about as useful as they come at the right school
Yessir, and I think it's important to note that not all business majors are created equal. Econ and finance, for example, are going to be considerably more difficult (and more useful) than, say, management and marketing.

Also,
bport hopeful wrote:Ive looked at the work of a lot of business majors. Its pretty freaking easy. I wouldnt say that its useless, but its nothing to throw in anyone elses face.
Someday a southern business major is going to take your job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”