shitlaw salaries?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AssociateX

Re: shitlaw salaries?

Postby AssociateX » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 pm

In NYC, small firms start out at $40-60k. I just talked to a Touro grad (top 8% and in Moot court) and she just got a job offer for a no fault auto defense firm in Long Island that pays 50K.

Oh some of the assumptions made in this thread are just wild. Hmmm.. most solos who are starting out struggle. Especially in competitive markets like NY, CA, FL where the big plaintiffs firms can take on the case with little to no retainer from the client. For every successful classmate who became a solo from my graduating class (2001)' I can count 10 who weren't so fortunate..

Also, there are many big firm attorneys who get canned every year (they have to weed out those who aren't partnership material somehow).. so all this nonsense talk about "lockstep" salaries for the rest of your life is a sham...you never know when you get canned and finding another similar job once you got fired is pretty difficult (other large firms don't want fired lawyers either).

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 pm

There is a blog about shitlaw jobs - by which they mean extremely low paying work, rather than just focusing on personal injury or anything else. I don't have the link but it might actually be called shitlaw jobs. Saw a post on there for a lawyer in Colorado to be paid $12 an hour plus must have car.

So my definition of shitlaw is what the pay is for the work you are doing. I'm not sure if the people on this forum have much idea of how terribly low paying some of these jobs can be.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:07 pm

rose711 wrote:There is a blog about shitlaw jobs - by which they mean extremely low paying work, rather than just focusing on personal injury or anything else. I don't have the link but it might actually be called shitlaw jobs. Saw a post on there for a lawyer in Colorado to be paid $12 an hour plus must have car.

So my definition of shitlaw is what the pay is for the work you are doing. I'm not sure if the people on this forum have much idea of how terribly low paying some of these jobs can be.

Yes, JDU. My first law law job paid 37k. :shock:

jujujohn

Postby jujujohn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:46 am

rad law wrote:
seriousstudenttt wrote:small law firm (1-10 attorneys), personal injury, etc

Depends. I worked for a solo criminal defense atty. who was having million-dollar years at the time. Small firm doesn't necessarily mean shitlaw. PI can also be lucrative, though the field is crowded.

i want to know where does the criminal lawyer gets his business from. Working for the mob maybe??? I am kidding.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 pm

And who said a career in shitlaw can't be lucrative?

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Seriously, when the going gets tough, you don't want a "criminal lawyer"

you want a "criminal" lawyer, know what im sayin?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:06 pm

My goal in life is to be able to make a living doing what I'm interested in. If that doesn't pan out, I just want to be successful. If I have to be a Saul Goodman, so be it.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

In legal trouble? Tell your law-breaking friends, they better call Saul!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLvZJb7jcg

Professor Saul Goodman Money Laundering 101 (anyone else go to the University of American Somoa for law school here?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Q9ctwHfDc

Return to “Legal Employment”