2L Summer - No Job Yet - Anyone else?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cardinal8

2L Summer - No Job Yet - Anyone else?

Postby cardinal8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Is anyone else out there freaking out over no 2L summer job prospects? I'm T-14, top 50%. Had a few callbacks after OCI and nothing. Applied for every federal and unpaid gig I could find and had time to apply for...Nada.

dood

Re: 2L Summer - No Job Yet - Anyone else?

Postby dood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Last edited by dood on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 pm

cardinal8 wrote:Is anyone else out there freaking out over no 2L summer job prospects?

me. i feel like cold calling on an astronomical scale is the only option left.

cardinal8

Postby cardinal8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:me. i feel like cold calling on an astronomical scale is the only option left.

I've cold called some DA's to no avail. It's hard to tell how pervasive the no job issue is. I know several people at my school and neighboring schools in the same situation....but I know several others with law firm jobs too. Most just aren't talking about it.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 pm

GL, bro. I hope you find something to at least pad your resume. Have you tried cold calling for volunteer work with PI orgs (Legal Aid, etc.)?

cardinal8

Postby cardinal8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:GL, bro. I hope you find something to at least pad your resume. Have you tried cold calling for volunteer work with PI orgs (Legal Aid, etc.)?

That's probably what I'll end up doing if nothing else better happens in the next couple weeks. Sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 pm

<---- 2L who got my PI internship today, as in this afternoon. A lot of people are in your position at schools up and down the rankings, but just not talking about it. A large number of my friends are still looking, so I don't want to go trumpeting details even though this was very long awaited and meant an enormous amount to me.

Public interest orgs are still interviewing and hiring, but they will want to see genuine interest and commitment from you, and they are competitive to get, even at less well known organizations. If you are interested, you should apply ASAP.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:48 pm

cardinal8 wrote:Is anyone else out there freaking out over no 2L summer job prospects? I'm T-14, top 50%. Had a few callbacks after OCI and nothing. Applied for every federal and unpaid gig I could find and had time to apply for...Nada.

This is really not a good thing (for you). At this point you may want start applying to and considering things at your law school, such as clinics, etc that need help. Definetely get something on your resume for work you did this summer, even if it isn't anything particularly great.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Why is it that people are not talking about their issues with finding work? I think finding a few friends to share problems and ideas with is essential to dealing with not having a job.
Maybe people define themselves by their jobs and are ashamed if they don't have one? If so, they need to be reminded in a positive way that the economy still is in the doldrums and they shouldn't view it as a personal failure if they don't have a job lined up.

I'm concerned that not talking about it will lead to people isolating themselves and getting depressed. I've seen that happen with several friends and with my brother-in-law when he lost a job he had held for years; and it can be difficult to get out of that funk once you fall into it.

Good luck with finding work. Don't give up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 pm

rose711 wrote:Why is it that people are not talking about their issues with finding work? I think finding a few friends to share problems and ideas with is essential to dealing with not having a job.
Maybe people define themselves by their jobs and are ashamed if they don't have one? If so, they need to be reminded in a positive way that the economy still is in the doldrums and they shouldn't view it as a personal failure if they don't have a job lined up.

I'm concerned that not talking about it will lead to people isolating themselves and getting depressed. I've seen that happen with several friends and with my brother-in-law when he lost a job he had held for years; and it can be difficult to get out of that funk once you fall into it.

all of my 2L friends already have jobs. i'm sure there are people who don't at my school, but when literally everyone you talk to has one (or two), it's definitely depressing. particularly when your grades are immaculate and the only reason for your failure must be personal.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rose711 wrote:Why is it that people are not talking about their issues with finding work? I think finding a few friends to share problems and ideas with is essential to dealing with not having a job.

all of my 2L friends already have jobs. i'm sure there are people who don't at my school, but when literally everyone you talk to has one (or two), it's definitely depressing. particularly when your grades are immaculate and the only reason for your failure must be personal.

Well, if you are sure the reason you don't have a job is solely personal -though I don't believe that is true - then maybe you need to find out what you are doing that makes people not want to hire you. Is it your interviewing skills? Can you ask someone who interviewed you but didn't hire you what you are doing wrong? And if you friends have jobs can you ask them for advice or constructive criticism on what you are doing wrong? Look at them as resources who can help you get to a job rather than people who have something you don't.

Is there a local career counselor you could contact?

Are you missing something on your resume that other people have on theirs?

If it is something you are doing, then you should be able to fix it, given time. Even if you can't fix it for this summer, you should be able to improve it for next year.
Perhaps if you just look at this as a problem to solve rather than a personal failing, you can figure it out?

Still, my feeling is that there are a number of 2Ls in your position - you are not the only one.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am convinced that employers don't get to see enough of our personalities for people to stand out that much in a 20-30 minute interview. Most people can be pleasant and friendly for that length of time, though of course the exceptions will be memorable. In my experience, many employers care about prestige of work experience, and to some degree, academic pedigree from previous schooling. Not every employer will, and I am incredibly grateful to the ones who gave me chances, because I felt the same way for a long time. I just want to say that I don't think it's you, at least not in the way you think.

cardinal8

Postby cardinal8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm not sure why people aren't more outspoken and frankly angry. But it's difficult seeing a select few getting V100 jobs and some of us coming up with nothing, it just makes for awkward conversation. Also, it's just embarrassing to admit to publicly in front of your peers.

Personally, the whole 1L and 2L summer job situation has taken a huge toll on how I feel about myself. It's hard not to feel like a colossal failure and wonder what I'm doing with my life.

cardinal8

Postby cardinal8 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am convinced that employers don't get to see enough of our personalities for people to stand out that much in a 20-30 minute interview. Most people can be pleasant and friendly for that length of time, though of course the exceptions will be memorable. In my experience, many employers care about prestige of work experience, and to some degree, academic pedigree from previous schooling. Not every employer will, and I am incredibly grateful to the ones who gave me chances, because I felt the same way for a long time. I just want to say that I don't think it's you, at least not in the way you think.

I agree. I don't think the guys interviewing at OCI get much about our personalities. I had a couple who saw where I went to undergrad and just wanted to talk football the whole 20 minutes. I feel like I'm friendly and have no major personality deficits. So I dunno.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am

cardinal8 wrote:Personally, the whole 1L and 2L summer job situation has taken a huge toll on how I feel about myself. It's hard not to feel like a colossal failure and wonder what I'm doing with my life.

i know what you mean. last summer i was an RA for 2 profs, which i also desperately landed in april. not a huge problem cause it was 1L summer and i have 2 solid recs for clerkships. but now... i don't even want to apply for clerkships (i can't even get an unpaid 1L job, what federal judge will want me?).

i mostly just want to drop out of school but it's too late.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:16 am

cardinal8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree. I don't think the guys interviewing at OCI get much about our personalities. I had a couple who saw where I went to undergrad and just wanted to talk football the whole 20 minutes. I feel like I'm friendly and have no major personality deficits. So I dunno.

My UG was the problem, at least for some interviewers. For a long time I just gave up, because I was convinced there was no point in trying further. I had low expectations for myself by the time I dusted off and tried again, but it only took one, and my luck changed overnight.

My point is that I don't think it's your personality. I would be incredibly surprised. A lot of employers are just looking for very round pegs, so to speak, and I was not that. The good news is that hiring is still definitely going on.

cardinal8

Postby cardinal8 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:i mostly just want to drop out of school but it's too late.

I think about dropping out daily even though there's really only a year left. I have thought a lot about dropping out. Almost all of my school is being paid for though so it's hard to justify leaving.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 am

I endorse dropping out after 1L if you're at a TTT if prospects are bad, but I think dropping out after 2L at even a TT is almost never a good decision.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 am

I'm a 2L at CCN without a job. I'm still getting rejected from places, even at this late stage, so I figure people with even better resumes/grades than me must still not have jobs. I'm going to start blanketing public interest orgs soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I'm a 2L at CCN without a job. I'm still getting rejected from places, even at this late stage, so I figure people with even better resumes/grades than me must still not have jobs. I'm going to start blanketing public interest orgs soon.

how do you show PI orgs that you're serious? (not you personally, but in general) i feel like they look at my resume and see just a firm reject (check) who is looking for something last-minute. PI isn't my first choice, but i am still interested and would work hard at it.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:43 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I'm a 2L at CCN without a job. I'm still getting rejected from places, even at this late stage, so I figure people with even better resumes/grades than me must still not have jobs. I'm going to start blanketing public interest orgs soon.

start cold emailing alumni at small firms. "network"... There are tons of alumni from CCN. Tap into that alumni base.
You need to get something so you can try to find a biglaw job next year.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous User at 11:34 wrote:how do you show PI orgs that you're serious?

To start, you need to have some kind of resume line or life experience that indicates that you have any interest whatsoever in the specific area. Your interest needs to be tailored to the particular employer as opposed to "PI" generally. I imagine this is especially true for obvious firm rejects applying in April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:56 pm

seatown12 wrote:
Anonymous User at 11:34 wrote:how do you show PI orgs that you're serious?

To start, you need to have some kind of resume line or life experience that indicates that you have any interest whatsoever in the specific area. Your interest needs to be tailored to the particular employer as opposed to "PI" generally. I imagine this is especially true for obvious firm rejects applying in April.

what about legal aid? what resume line, pray tell, would show a specific interest in those?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm

cardinal8 wrote:Is anyone else out there freaking out over no 2L summer job prospects? I'm T-14, top 50%. Had a few callbacks after OCI and nothing. Applied for every federal and unpaid gig I could find and had time to apply for...Nada.

What part of the T14?

Really not pertinent. I can tell you it definitely happens at CCN. So that only leaves YHS if you're looking for "safe" schools ITE. Really, it could happen to anyone, anywhere.

HTH.

lawstudent1111

Postby lawstudent1111 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Best of luck and I hope something turns up in the future.

Also, sorry that you are at a top 14 school and in the top half of your class with no job. Currently, I am a 1L, attending what US NEWS calls a tier four school. Far from the reach of your school.... However, after moving to a place with no connections, I found a job at a law firm where I will be making just over $20 an hour and will likely work their throughout my second year of law school if they/I choose to.

This post is more directed at the pundits of top law schools who bash the sisters of the poor..... For those who do not, please ignore...

I sincerely wish you the best!!

Return to “Legal Employment”