Can you still RA for professor without work-study?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can you still RA for professor without work-study?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

I don't mind working for free for a professor on a topic I liked (I'm interested in academia), but it's just that I am not eligible for work-study in the summer. I would like to know if it's breaking the law for professors to take on voluntary free labor? :? I know there are uncompensated RA positions during the school year, and I was wondering if summer has special rules.

Thanks.

geekrocker37

Re: Can you still RA for professor without work-study?

Postby geekrocker37 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't mind working for free for a professor on a topic I liked (I'm interested in academia), but it's just that I am not eligible for work-study in the summer. I would like to know if it's breaking the law for professors to take on voluntary free labor? :? I know there are uncompensated RA positions during the school year, and I was wondering if summer has special rules.

Thanks.

I don't know exactly how the rules work, but I know here you could work for a professor only if you are not on work study.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm guessing that it depends on your school's rules. I would guess that an academic institution would get a break from the DOL rules prohibiting free labor here.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 am

Just ask them; they'll either say yes or no. FWIW, one of my profs said that being work-study only was necessary if you wanted to get paid, which I took to mean that he would be down to let you work for free if you weren't

Return to “Legal Employment”