Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 pm

How are people doing with the boutique firms (50-100 attorneys)? Is there a lot of action yet? I am waiting on four boutique firms that I had call backs with, and I have not heard a word!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those with offers from PLIP, are they primarily for prosecution? What about litigation or transactions? For future reference, is it worthwhile for someone to go if they do not want prosecution?

I was looking for somewhere dynamic and found it. It is definitely worthwhile to go if you're not interested in pros. Fish, K&E, A&B, MoFo, Covington, Crowell & Mooring just to name a few of the firms offering lit.

Like an imbecile, I told the Fish guy that since I had experience in prosecution, I was curious about the litigation side, just to see what the other side was like. He repeated "so you want to do litigation just to see, huh?" while furiously writing on his pad. He clearly appeared to want a great expression of interest in litigation. It wasn't too late to course correct, but somehow I failed to do so. This guy was one of those interviewers that took copious notes. He was writing the whole time I was talking. He probably wrote "this schmuck is only mildly curious about lit. FATALITY" on his pad. It didn't help that he seemed bored by the whole affair. That made it hard to connect. Wasn't surprised by the ding. I've since learned to be enthusiastic as fuck, and to drool over litigation as if "patent infringement" was the first sound out of my mouth seconds after my birth.

erico

Postby erico » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those with offers from PLIP, are they primarily for prosecution? What about litigation or transactions? For future reference, is it worthwhile for someone to go if they do not want prosecution?

I was looking for somewhere dynamic and found it. It is definitely worthwhile to go if you're not interested in pros. Fish, K&E, A&B, MoFo, Covington, Crowell & Mooring just to name a few of the firms offering lit.

Like an imbecile, I told the Fish guy that since I had experience in prosecution, I was curious about the litigation side, just to see what the other side was like. He repeated "so you want to do litigation just to see, huh?" while furiously writing on his pad. He clearly appeared to want a great expression of interest in litigation. It wasn't too late to course correct, but somehow I failed to do so. This guy was one of those interviewers that took copious notes. He was writing the whole time I was talking. He probably wrote "this schmuck is only mildly curious about lit. FATALITY" on his pad. It didn't help that he seemed bored by the whole affair. That made it hard to connect. Wasn't surprised by the ding. I've since learned to be enthusiastic as fuck, and to drool over litigation as if "patent infringement" was the first sound out of my mouth seconds after my birth.

yeah it's probably good to express interest in lit if you're interviewing with a lit firm (or office), and that applies even if they are just lit heavy. and why wouldn't you act enthusiastic about everything they do? no reason to box yourself out of anything before you have an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are people doing with the boutique firms (50-100 attorneys)? Is there a lot of action yet? I am waiting on four boutique firms that I had call backs with, and I have not heard a word!

One of my 3 PLIP offers is from a boutique (Sterne Kessler). Been waiting ~ 3 weeks since my CB at another boutique.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Two of my three PLIP offers do enough lit that I could have a lit-focused career if I wanted. So, yeah, I think it's worthwhile to go if you don't want pros.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Just curious, but has anyone heard from Sidley Austin Dallas? They are the only firm that has not given me a CB or ding. Most firms got back to me within a week or two.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer from Dickstein Shapiro ny through oci or plip?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Those with offers from PLIP, anyone want to say what firms they are that you've gotten these offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those with offers from PLIP, anyone want to say what firms they are that you've gotten these offers?

Baker Botts Houston, Sterne Kessler, Cooley DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those with offers from PLIP, anyone want to say what firms they are that you've gotten these offers?

MWE, S&W, SMR&H

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:13 pm

BB Dallas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 am

Fish Bay-Area

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Just accepted an offer on the spot from my first choice firm. Only offer I got from PLIP, but maybe because I was looking for a certain fit/culture and they were the only firm I saw aside from one from my other offer (from OCI) that really had it. Literally the best $500 I ever spent in my life, no question.

weee

Postby weee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted an offer on the spot from my first choice firm. Only offer I got from PLIP, but maybe because I was looking for a certain fit/culture and they were the only firm I saw aside from one from my other offer (from OCI) that really had it. Literally the best $500 I ever spent in my life, no question.

Congrats, I haven't totally followed but what are people's impressions at this point of the "worth-it-ness" of PLIP, maybe I'll drop some positive/negative/neutral quotes into the OP in case this thread comes up in future searches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:29 pm

weee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted an offer on the spot from my first choice firm. Only offer I got from PLIP, but maybe because I was looking for a certain fit/culture and they were the only firm I saw aside from one from my other offer (from OCI) that really had it. Literally the best $500 I ever spent in my life, no question.

Congrats, I haven't totally followed but what are people's impressions at this point of the "worth-it-ness" of PLIP, maybe I'll drop some positive/negative/neutral quotes into the OP in case this thread comes up in future searches.
Same poster. I really think it's going to heavily depend on the school you're coming from... The T14 schools have enough representation at their OCIs that it might not be for them. T25s like mine don't, and it's an awesome way to get in front of people who wouldn't look at you otherwise. Not to mention that it can be a huuuuuge insulator from a poor 2nd half performance. My 1st semester grades were much, much better than the second half ones, so I was able to charm my way into CBs with firms that wouldn't have looked at me given my overall grades (including my firm for this summer). Sure some still wouldn't touch me when they saw my new grades, but I got some second looks from places that wouldn't have had I not already had a screener locked down from the first semester grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:43 pm

weee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just accepted an offer on the spot from my first choice firm. Only offer I got from PLIP, but maybe because I was looking for a certain fit/culture and they were the only firm I saw aside from one from my other offer (from OCI) that really had it. Literally the best $500 I ever spent in my life, no question.

Same poster. I really think it's going to heavily depend on the school you're coming from... The T14 schools have enough representation at their OCIs that it might not be for them. T25s like mine don't, and it's an awesome way to get in front of people who wouldn't look at you otherwise. Not to mention that it can be a huuuuuge insulator from a poor 2nd half performance. My 1st semester grades were much, much better than the second half ones, so I was able to charm my way into CBs with firms that wouldn't have looked at me given my overall grades (including my firm for this summer). Sure some still wouldn't touch me when they saw my new grades, but I got some second looks from places that wouldn't have had I not already had a screener locked down from the first semester grades.

Offers from Kenyon and Kenyon, Troutman Sounders, and Fish Bay Area

I go to a T-14 and I still think the fair was really helpful 1) in terms of getting the hang of the interview process and 2) being able to bid on more non IP firms through the school's OCI process

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:41 pm

is this job fair open to fed cir clerks, or just law students?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
weee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Offers from Kenyon and Kenyon, Troutman Sounders, and Fish Bay Area

I go to a T-14 and I still think the fair was really helpful 1) in terms of getting the hang of the interview process and 2) being able to bid on more non IP firms through the school's OCI process

They should immediately revoke your offer from Troutman Sanders, given that you can't spell the firm's name.

weee

Postby weee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this job fair open to fed cir clerks, or just law students?

STUDENT ELIGIBILITY
Only law students are eligible to participate in the Patent Law Interview Program. It is not required that students be patent bar eligible to register for the program; however, many employers require patent bar eligibility as a qualification for bidding on interviews, and most employers strongly prefer patent bar eligible students. For more information on eligibility for the patent bar, please refer to the General Requirements Bulletin from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The 2012 Patent Law Interview Program will be accepting registrations from:

JD students graduating in May/June 2013 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in May/June 2014 (2Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2012/January 2013 (3Ls)
JD students graduating in December 2013/January 2014 (2Ls)
Students in Intellectual Property LLM programs with anticipated graduation dates in 2013 and 2014

Students who will graduate before the program is held in August 2012 and students who plan to graduate after May/June 2014 are not eligible for the 2012 Patent Law Interview Program.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this job fair open to fed cir clerks, or just law students?

troll.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

erico wrote:

troll.

why? seems like all the big patent places go to this thing. sure they'd like someone who's worked in the fed cir.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
erico wrote:

troll.

why? seems like all the big patent places go to this thing. sure they'd like someone who's worked in the fed cir.

agreed. i was mostly joking, but i would just think you would have firms lining up to hire you as a fed cir clerk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:53 pm

erico wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
erico wrote:

troll.

agreed. i was mostly joking, but i would just think you would have firms lining up to hire you as a fed cir clerk.

don't know about all that. it's not really that big of a deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 pm

anyone got an offer from Brinks Hofer? I gotta a CB. worth going?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am

Officially Rejected from Finnegan :(

Return to “Legal Employment”