Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear that guy very emphatically (and loudly) turn down an alternate slot the first day?

I lol'd

Mcdermott at noon?

Oh... it was me. I couldn't take the time (wasn't that firm though)

Just figured I'd speak up; she was getting pissed not being able to hear people. Luckily I got the same firm at a later time!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 pm

I didn't get why people were announcing they were there but not taking it. It made no sense, just let her read the next name off.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't get why people were announcing they were there but not taking it. It made no sense, just let her read the next name off.

IIRC from last year, it's because once you're seen as absent, if your name comes up again for one that you do want, they don't even call your name.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:38 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I didn't get why people were announcing they were there but not taking it. It made no sense, just let her read the next name off.

IIRC from last year, it's because once you're seen as absent, if your name comes up again for one that you do want, they don't even call your name.

It didn't really seem that way, they were just reading down a list. Though maybe, and no reason to risk it.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

It didn't really seem that way, they were just reading down a list. Though maybe, and no reason to risk it.

They even skipped one person that was actually there but didn't speak loud enough. I think they were just crossig names off.

erico

Postby erico » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:58 pm

So...standouts bad or good? I was pleasantly surprised by most but I heard this wasn't everyone's experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:41 pm

I thought Mayer Brown NYC was awful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Mine was good for the most part. Dickstein was kind of intense, unlike everyone else I had. Boooo. One guy dropped an Fbomb mid-interview,which helped bump that firm up the list of places I really want callbacks with (also they were cool as hell and the associate was pretty hot :oops: ). One of the boutiques asked if I had done a lot of mock interviews or taken public speaking courses in college, which is hilarious because I'm only slightly better than the average engineer at not mumbling and making eye contact. Lol in the land of aspies, the slightly awkward man is king. All in all I liked it, had a few where I felt like I was absolutely on fire with the interviewers, like they were about to just say alright drop by our office in a week, and two or three where I was praying for time to be up it was so painful towards the end of the 20 minutes. Be veeeery interested to see my results.

Also, to those of you who were carting backpacks into your interview rooms... Sorry, but WTF, kids. W. T. F.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mine was good for the most part. Dickstein was kind of intense, unlike everyone else I had. Boooo. One guy dropped an Fbomb mid-interview,which helped bump that firm up the list of places I really want callbacks with (also they were cool as hell and the associate was pretty hot :oops: ). One of the boutiques asked if I had done a lot of mock interviews or taken public speaking courses in college, which is hilarious because I'm only slightly better than the average engineer at not mumbling and making eye contact. Lol in the land of aspies, the slightly awkward man is king. All in all I liked it, had a few where I felt like I was absolutely on fire with the interviewers, like they were about to just say alright drop by our office in a week, and two or three where I was praying for time to be up it was so painful towards the end of the 20 minutes. Be veeeery interested to see my results.

Also, to those of you who were carting backpacks into your interview rooms... Sorry, but WTF, kids. W. T. F.

Dickstein grilled me too.

Also I will +1 the WTF with bringing backpacks to interviews! Some people left them under the hallway chairs. Which I thought was a better option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Worst interview: Drinker Biddle, Chicago. A rather creepy pair. Very quiet, utterly humourless. The young junior associate seemed positively terrified of the partner. Looks like you have to tip toe around that office. Gross.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Has anyone else gotten callbacks already? I know of at least two firms who called people yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought Mayer Brown NYC was awful.

My god, they were awful.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 am

Was it just me or were there a surprising number of decent-looking chicks there?

In what world does engineering girl + female lawyer = hot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:52 am

I got two callbacks Saturday (one via phone, one via email)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 am

flcath wrote:Was it just me or were there a surprising number of decent-looking chicks there?

OFS, and in a world where biomed girls exist. Plus none of the attractive biomed chicks go into engineering anyway - IME they all wanna be doctors, but I suppose there must be some that get lost on the way to med school and end up in law

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else gotten callbacks already? I know of at least two firms who called people yesterday.

which firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:28 am

i had one pretty awkward interviewer. other than that the only difficulty was interviewers testing my ties to city X. i felt i got stronger as i went. by the second day i had it wired.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:44 am

flcath wrote:Was it just me or were there a surprising number of decent-looking chicks there?

It was still like 90% guys.

I had 2 or 3 really awkward interviews: like, wow, interviewer not even making eye contact awkward. Some of these boutique firms are like that, I guess.

Dickstein was kind of intense, unlike everyone else I had. Boooo. One guy dropped an Fbomb mid-interview,which helped bump that firm up the list of places I really want callbacks with (also they were cool as hell and the associate was pretty hot ).

I thought Dickstein was intense too. Jenner was a little bit intense as well. Who dropped an f-bomb in an interview?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 am

any idea of the typical timeline for callbacks? when do we lose all hope? :P

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else gotten callbacks already? I know of at least two firms who called people yesterday.

which firms?

I only know of Winston & Strawn and MoFo, both by phone.

Edited to add info.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

englawyer wrote:any idea of the typical timeline for callbacks? when do we lose all hope? :P

If you haven't heard anything for about a week, you should start expecting a rejection letter.

mebeSajid

Postby mebeSajid » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
englawyer wrote:any idea of the typical timeline for callbacks? when do we lose all hope? :P

If you haven't heard anything for about a week, you should start expecting a rejection letter.

Depends on the firm. Some firms told me a month, but the interviews that went better said a week or two.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:04 am

mebeSajid wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Depends on the firm. Some firms told me a month, but the interviews that went better said a week or two.
Yeah,completely firm-dependent. One said almost mid September, a few others said end of the week. No sense in being impatient, just keep hunting for more interviews, you know?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:40 am

another question. if someone posts something like "got a call from MoFo" does that imply MoFo is done and you didn't make it? IE do firms usually do one huge batch or are you potentially still in the game?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 am

are people sending thank you emails to every firm?
...i made a mistake on 4 of the thank you emails i sent...(wrote that it was nice meeting them on Wednesday instead of Thursday)...worth it to send a quick correction acknowledging my mistake?

also, i heard sterne kessler and jones day offered at least one call-back already. however, i did not interview with them; this is completely based on what a friend (who got the callbacks) said.

looks like things are moving fast...

Return to “Legal Employment”