Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drdolittle

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:Stupid question but uh, what airport am I flying to?

O'hare or Midway, whichever is cheaper.

If they're the same price, is either one better for ground transportation or any other reasons? I've only flown into O'hare.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 pm

anyone pick up any alternates yet?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:46 pm

englawyer wrote:anyone pick up any alternates yet?

I assume they won't change anything til the drop period is over.

roofles

Postby roofles » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 pm

englawyer wrote:anyone pick up any alternates yet?

I had an alternate change to not invited between 6/19 and 6/20 fwiw. I guess either that firm decided not to show up for interviews or they gave me a last minute FU. :shock:

weee

Postby weee » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:35 am

I sent a drop e-mail and they just nuked the account, some folks should be moving up as alts out there whenever that kicks in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 am

Just got off an alternate list (with no number behind it) for Mayer Brown! Thanks for whoever dropped out! :)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Query: if you have an interview listed for a specific date and time but it still says alternate in the invitations column, that means you actually have the interview, correct? It's not just the interview you would have if that person dropped out or something like that?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:55 pm

stratocophic wrote:Query: if you have an interview listed for a specific date and time but it still says alternate in the invitations column, that means you actually have the interview, correct? It's not just the interview you would have if that person dropped out or something like that?

Yes, according to the email they sent today, you've got the interview if it's been scheduled, even though it still says alternate. I don't suspect there have been too many cancellations so far b/c a couple of my alts where I should be among the next few candidates in line are still left unscheduled.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

drdolittle wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Query: if you have an interview listed for a specific date and time but it still says alternate in the invitations column, that means you actually have the interview, correct? It's not just the interview you would have if that person dropped out or something like that?

Yes, according to the email they sent today, you've got the interview if it's been scheduled, even though it still says alternate. I don't suspect there have been too many cancellations so far b/c a couple of my alts where I should be among the next few candidates in line are still left unscheduled.
Schweet. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Hopefully people will get reeeeeally busy that weekend over the next few weeks :?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I really need to stop coming to this website. It always just depresses me. People with 16 screeners and they aren't going to go. I would choke a puppy for that opportunity. I ended up with 4pre 3alt -> 1 alt converted to interview. T20, crappy grades 5yrs WE, apparently I'm a decent writer.

I wish I didn't have 4 interviews on thu and one on fri. Balance / spread them much?

mebeSajid

Postby mebeSajid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 pm

fl0w wrote:I really need to stop coming to this website. It always just depresses me. People with 16 screeners and they aren't going to go. I would choke a puppy for that opportunity.

The people who turn that down are foolish - I almost don't believe them. That said, 16 interviews in two days sounds pretty stressful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Dont feel too bad bro... The 16 preselects sounds very much like a flame. I had my undergrad degree from a fancy private school in chemical engr and applied physics. I am currently in law school at top 14% at top 20 school. I am also enrolled in masters in EE. I got 10 interviews and 1 alternate. I think you are fine. Dont pay too much attention to the 16 preselect guy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dont feel too bad bro... The 16 preselects sounds very much like a flame. I had my undergrad degree from a fancy private school in chemical engr and applied physics. I am currently in law school at top 14% at top 20 school. I am also enrolled in masters in EE. I got 10 interviews and 1 alternate. I think you are fine. Dont pay too much attention to the 16 preselect guy.

That's what I thought too. 10 and 2 here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 pm

fl0w, also, you need to stop punishing yourself over this bro! Just the fact that you are doing patent law makes you a smart guy. Sure, you might not get a V10 job, but consider what you are learning in law school. An engr and law is still a deadly combo. Even if you dont get a fancy V10 job, you can still use the knowledge to make a lot of money. Think about it man: you know the technical knowlege AND know how to protect it. I am sure that even if you were to chose to work in the technical industry after law school, you would have no problem making tons of money. It very well could be a lot more than what v10 would pay you. Theres a lot of money to be made. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Good luck, and best wishes!

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dont feel too bad bro... The 16 preselects sounds very much like a flame. I had my undergrad degree from a fancy private school in chemical engr and applied physics. I am currently in law school at top 14% at top 20 school. I am also enrolled in masters in EE. I got 10 interviews and 1 alternate. I think you are fine. Dont pay too much attention to the 16 preselect guy.

That's what I thought too. 10 and 2 here.

I can tell you from experience that some people will get 16 preselects. In fact, its possible to have 20 or even 25. But you can't let that bother you-for whatever reason, some people just have a perfect mix of background/grades that makes them worth a look by a lot of different firms.

Be happy with what you got. Maybe it doesn't seem so, but getting 4 interviews is nothing to laugh at. Remember, all 4 of those firms saw something they liked in your resume. By contrast, half the people who sign up get nothing. Now that you're in the door, it's completely up to you to sell yourself. Do that, and you'll turn more of your interviews into offers than the guy with 16 who can't hold a conversation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:35 pm

As has been said above, it ain't flame. I also think I've deduced why the one guy isn't going, and it's a legit reason - if it's what I suspect it is, I probably wouldn't either.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
As has been said above, it ain't flame. I also think I've deduced why the one guy isn't going, and it's a legit reason - if it's what I suspect it is, I probably wouldn't either.

Already has a 1L job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Already has a 1L job?
That's what I'm guessing, from another thread. It'd have to be good not to go at all, so I'm assuming dude's set and doesn't have to worry about it.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Wow, thanks for the support everyone. Maybe the IP-heads are the good part of TLS.
I'm definitely excited about what I have and am going to try my best to kill it. Thanks for keeping it in perspective for me folks.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:56 pm

fl0w wrote:Wow, thanks for the support everyone. Maybe the IP-heads are the good part of TLS.
I'm definitely excited about what I have and am going to try my best to kill it. Thanks for keeping it in perspective for me folks.
They call us ipsecure for a reason, man!

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Already has a 1L job?
That's what I'm guessing, from another thread. It'd have to be good not to go at all, so I'm assuming dude's set and doesn't have to worry about it.

+1. The flame accusations are obviously coming from ignorance, of this thread and PLIP in general. Plus, why assume 16 preselect poster is similar to you? It's entirely possible he or she just has much better creds and connections that would make attending PLIP a waste.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 pm

"Flame!!" has gotten as bad as "Why anon?"

It's got to stop. This site is becoming fucking unreadable.

weee

Postby weee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 am

I definitely didn't post to try and discourage anyone, I was just sharing one person's experience. If anything it should have been good news to some folks with alternates in my market.

If you had doubts you could have asked via PM, I started this thread so people could talk about their PLIP experience and get the most out of it, and I hope that is still the result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

um. so like an idiot, i submitted the wrong transcript (one semester old) to one of the firms coming late to interview, in the resume collect section. is there a way to take it back and submit the right one? i can't figure it out. ugh. tia.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:um. so like an idiot, i submitted the wrong transcript (one semester old) to one of the firms coming late to interview, in the resume collect section. is there a way to take it back and submit the right one? i can't figure it out. ugh. tia.

You can email the program and have them delete the application.

Return to “Legal Employment”