Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:01 pm

mebeSajid wrote:No change in the past week or so, I'm still at 9 preselects, 3 alternates.

I got one yesterday. I think they are mostly final, but not truly final until the 20th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

3L here. Got 4 preselects and 2 alternates. I have a summer associate gig but my 2L grades were atrocious. Any guesses as to what my chances are at getting a backup-plan offer from LPIP out of 4 (potentially 6) interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L here. Got 4 preselects and 2 alternates. I have a summer associate gig but my 2L grades were atrocious. Any guesses as to what my chances are at getting a backup-plan offer from LPIP out of 4 (potentially 6) interviews?

that will be depending on your tech background?

odon59

Postby odon59 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Need some help interpreting my near-failure at PLIP:

I have B.S./M.S. in applied physics. 6 years W/E as an engineer. Haven't taken the patent bar but am eligible.

Rising 2L at T30. First semester grades put me in top 35%. After second semester I am now in the top 10% of rising 2L's at my school, but this updated info wasn't in my PLIP resume & transcript documents.

Right now I have 1 preselect, 0 alternates, and lots of not-invited's.

Is my lack of pre-selects probably attributable to my first semester grades or is it something else? Perhaps my technical background is too specialized? (I was an optical engineer). Any theories would be appreciated. Thanks.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:57 pm

I prob already missed some deadline, but was this for patent prosecution only?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:01 pm

MC Southstar wrote:I prob already missed some deadline, but was this for patent prosecution only?

No, a lot of litigation only firms are signed up. But you should probably be able to hit those at OCI.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 pm

odon59 wrote:Need some help interpreting my near-failure at PLIP:

I have B.S./M.S. in applied physics. 6 years W/E as an engineer. Haven't taken the patent bar but am eligible.

Rising 2L at T30. First semester grades put me in top 35%. After second semester I am now in the top 10% of rising 2L's at my school, but this updated info wasn't in my PLIP resume & transcript documents.

Right now I have 1 preselect, 0 alternates, and lots of not-invited's.

Is my lack of pre-selects probably attributable to my first semester grades or is it something else? Perhaps my technical background is too specialized? (I was an optical engineer). Any theories would be appreciated. Thanks.
Seems like it could be a combo of the two. Patent pros places were likely turned off by the optical engineer/physics thing, and even the 'lesser' big lit firms were probably so slammed by T14ers spamming 'safety bids' that they didn't need to reach to the top 1/3 at a T30. School could play a role too, i.e. you'd probably get a far better response coming out of Notre Dame than Indiana or something. Hope a few preselects come out of nowhere for you, man.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Odon, being top 10% will help you at your real OCI. If you bid on a large amount of patent prosecution firms, or botique firms, and didn't get any interviews, I'd focus on big law firms with IP practices only.

How were your Undergrad grades.

odon59

Postby odon59 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. Not to get too specific, but I go to school in a big legal market that is well represented at PLIP. I bid on firms with offices in my school's city. My undergrad gpa wasn't bad, wasn't great either (~3.1).

One thing I'm wondering is if my major wasn't expressly on the firm's list of acceptable majors, could my application have automatically gotten thrown out and not really reviewed?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm

odon59 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts. Not to get too specific, but I go to school in a big legal market that is well represented at PLIP. I bid on firms with offices in my school's city. My undergrad gpa wasn't bad, wasn't great either (~3.1).

One thing I'm wondering is if my major wasn't expressly on the firm's list of acceptable majors, could my application have automatically gotten thrown out and not really reviewed?

I think this is a reasonable theory. We don't really know who reviews the resumes but it's most likely a legal secretary I'd imagine, almost certainly with little to no science background, who's got hundreds if not thousands of resumes to plow through and is looking for keywords. This person would probably not realize what your major means if it's not on the list of "qualifications" they know to look for. I haven't gotten the impression that a tremendous amount of thought goes into selections at PLIP, beyond looking at the basics: school, degree, and GPA.

Anyway, I think you should email your resume to specific attorneys at firms you're interested in, ones who might have a similar background and would know what your degree really means. Of course in your cover letter you could highlight any unique achievements, like your huge GPA gain, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 pm

drdolittle wrote:
odon59 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts. Not to get too specific, but I go to school in a big legal market that is well represented at PLIP. I bid on firms with offices in my school's city. My undergrad gpa wasn't bad, wasn't great either (~3.1).

I think this is a reasonable theory. We don't really know who reviews the resumes but it's most likely a legal secretary I'd imagine, almost certainly with little to no science background, who's got hundreds if not thousands of resumes to plow through and is looking for keywords. This person would probably not realize what your major means if it's not on the list of "qualifications" they know to look for. I haven't gotten the impression that a tremendous amount of thought goes into selections at PLIP, beyond looking at the basics: school, degree, and GPA.

Anyway, I think you should email your resume to specific attorneys at firms you're interested in, ones who might have a similar background and would know what your degree really means. Of course in your cover letter you could highlight any unique achievements, like your huge GPA gain, etc.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think part of Odon's problem may actually be the focus on firms that have a strong presence in the home market of your school. I say this because maybe they are thinking they can just see you at OCI. I also say this based on the fact that I did very well with respect to preselects (spread across a lot of major markets) but my worst showing was in my school's home market.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

I wonder how big of a factor undergrad prestige is in getting preselects?

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think part of Odon's problem may actually be the focus on firms that have a strong presence in the home market of your school. I say this because maybe they are thinking they can just see you at OCI. I also say this based on the fact that I did very well with respect to preselects (spread across a lot of major markets) but my worst showing was in my school's home market.

yeah alot of DC firms opted to interview me at GW on campus interviews rather than PLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here. Got 4 preselects and 2 alternates. I have a summer associate gig but my 2L grades were atrocious. Any guesses as to what my chances are at getting a backup-plan offer from LPIP out of 4 (potentially 6) interviews?

that will be depending on your tech background?

BS in EE

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:00 am

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think part of Odon's problem may actually be the focus on firms that have a strong presence in the home market of your school. I say this because maybe they are thinking they can just see you at OCI. I also say this based on the fact that I did very well with respect to preselects (spread across a lot of major markets) but my worst showing was in my school's home market.

yeah alot of DC firms opted to interview me at GW on campus interviews rather than PLIP.

Good to know. I prob did better away from my home market too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm

drdolittle wrote:
dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I think part of Odon's problem may actually be the focus on firms that have a strong presence in the home market of your school. I say this because maybe they are thinking they can just see you at OCI. I also say this based on the fact that I did very well with respect to preselects (spread across a lot of major markets) but my worst showing was in my school's home market.

My results were the opposite - best in my home market (biglaw NYC), not so good in secondary markets + boutiques

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
dood wrote:

My results were the opposite - best in my home market (biglaw NYC), not so good in secondary markets + boutiques
NYC's kind of the exception to just about every rule, though.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 am

schedules posted... Patent Program -> Scheduled Interviews

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:06 am

englawyer wrote:schedules posted... Patent Program -> Scheduled Interviews

oh that's depressing

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:48 pm

anyone selected by Dority & Manning? I am not but I am so interested in the firm....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Free dinner to anyone who drops an interview at Steptoe Johnson DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Free dinner to anyone who drops an interview at Steptoe Johnson DC.

anyone had any luck from dropping their resumes at hospitality suits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Free dinner to anyone who drops an interview at Steptoe Johnson DC.

I'll give that person two free dinners

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It is mutually beneficial so lets give this guy three meals combined.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It is mutually beneficial so lets give this guy three meals combined.

yes, agreed

Return to “Legal Employment”