Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:09 pm

omnomnom wrote:
englawyer wrote:anyone know what "alternate" means without a number in the parenthesis? do some firms just not rank alternates or something?

+1. The pessimist in me says there is no way it can mean 1st alternate. The more likely explanation is that they didn't bother to rank us.

I have an alt(1), so I doubt it means 1. It probably means unranked.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:11 pm

What an unpleasant surprise. 4 preselects and 3 alternates seemed promising when there were only 5 "not invited"s; now it seems paltry.

Fuck this shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:15 pm

nah, i think it does mean you're 1st in line. only one of my alts has a number after it. i doubt the alt [blank] means 1st in line. yours does.

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
omnomnom wrote:
englawyer wrote:anyone know what "alternate" means without a number in the parenthesis? do some firms just not rank alternates or something?

+1. The pessimist in me says there is no way it can mean 1st alternate. The more likely explanation is that they didn't bother to rank us.

Well, last year the number indicated your ranking, and alt(1) would mean you were first in line to be called if spot opened up. Alt without a number meant the firm didn't rank their alternates, so it'd be random who got the slot. But I was already wrong once on this thread...

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 pm

How does the alternate thing work? If a preselect cancels before June 22, will the first alternate be scheduled to interview in that person's spot, or does the alternate only get notice the day of the interview that he or she gets an interview?

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 pm

yeast master wrote:How does the alternate thing work? If a preselect cancels before June 22, will the first alternate be scheduled to interview in that person's spot, or does the alternate only get notice the day of the interview that he or she gets an interview?

I was wondering about that. If "alternate" means what I had conceived it to mean (pretty much just a backup for cancellations), then carrying it out to 9 spots--and didn't someone ITT say something about 42--seems like overkill.

roofles

Postby roofles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 pm

re: yeast master

From http://www.luc.edu/law/career/patent_students.html -

"Once the employers have selected the students they wish to interview, Symplicity generates interview schedules, which will be available on Symplicity on June 20. After a brief cancellation period, Symplicity will schedule students chosen by the employers as alternates into any interview slots opened up as the result of cancellations. Final interview schedules will be available on Symplicity on June 24."

It doesn't mention selection order for alternates without a number though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Life science PhD here. Middle of my class at a T25. 6 preselects, 2 alternates. On the cusp as to whether it is worth it.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Life science PhD here. Middle of my class at a T25. 6 preselects, 2 alternates. On the cusp as to whether it is worth it.

It's worth it.

EngineeringLawyer

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but (1) all you need is 1 offer so it shouldn't matter whether you have 3 or 10 preselects if you bid appropriately and (especially) interview well you then you should be able to turn one of those into an offer. While it's part a numbers game, it's also a lot of what you have to offer come interview time. And (2) if you fail miserably at your 1 or 3 or 10 interviews consider it practice for your OCIs where, for most, you'll have a decent amount of time to realign yourself and fix your mistakes.

Then again, it's definitely not worth it for anyone who got interviews at any firms I'm interested in so you should just let me interview alone and move up into preselect for my alts :P

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 pm

EngineeringLawyer wrote:Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but (1) all you need is 1 offer so it shouldn't matter whether you have 3 or 10 preselects if you bid appropriately and (especially) interview well you then you should be able to turn one of those into an offer. While it's part a numbers game, it's also a lot of what you have to offer come interview time. And (2) if you fail miserably at your 1 or 3 or 10 interviews consider it practice for your OCIs where, for most, you'll have a decent amount of time to realign yourself and fix your mistakes.

Then again, it's definitely not worth it for anyone who got interviews at any firms I'm interested in so you should just let me interview alone and move up into preselect for my alts :P
TBF, 1 isn't necessarily true. Firms are interviewing way more people than they intend to take - that's why they're called screening interviews in the first place. You might interview well, bid appropriately and still have no luck - there might be people who bid inappropriately, get shut down at better firms, and take your spot when it turns out that they're competent interviewers. That said, I can't think of any reason why a person who wants a job wouldn't go. If you aren't getting many interviews here where everyone wants IP candidates, what makes you think you're safe relying on OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but (1) all you need is 1 offer so it shouldn't matter whether you have 3 or 10 preselects if you bid appropriately and (especially) interview well you then you should be able to turn one of those into an offer. While it's part a numbers game, it's also a lot of what you have to offer come interview time.

no offense but this makes no sense. at. all. your chances of getting an offer, AND the number of offers you get, are proportional to the number of interviews you get -- up to the point where the number of interviews starts affecting your interview performance -- regardless of "what you have to offer come interview time." i can't believe i actually had to explain that.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Maybe I'm foolish for thinking this, but (1) all you need is 1 offer so it shouldn't matter whether you have 3 or 10 preselects if you bid appropriately and (especially) interview well you then you should be able to turn one of those into an offer. While it's part a numbers game, it's also a lot of what you have to offer come interview time.

no offense but this makes no sense. at. all. your chances of getting an offer, AND the number of offers you get, are proportional to the number of interviews you get -- up to the point where the number of interviews starts affecting your interview performance -- regardless of "what you have to offer come interview time." i can't believe i actually had to explain that.

I think all he meant was "you should go, even if you only get 1 preselect, because, hey, 1 is all you really need, and 1 preselect that gets converted into an offer = 13 preselects that yield 6 offers, since you only work one job in the end anyhow."

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 am

Also, and I mean this as gently as possible, if you're middle of the class at a T25, those 6 interviews could be the only ones you get this year that matter. I'm in the camp that ONE preselect for a firm you want is worth the trip. 6 is most definitely worth it.

If it's like last year there will also be further firms that are added to the schedule late that you might get in with, as well as the opportunities at the hospitality suites.

Unless you literally are getting married or having major surgery (or just have some epiphany that you hate patent law) that Thursday and Friday, you'd be foolish not to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 am

wiseowl wrote:Also, and I mean this as gently as possible, if you're middle of the class at a T25, those 6 interviews could be the only ones you get this year that matter. I'm in the camp that ONE preselect for a firm you want is worth the trip. 6 is most definitely worth it.

If it's like last year there will also be further firms that are added to the schedule late that you might get in with, as well as the opportunities at the hospitality suites.

Unless you literally are getting married or having major surgery (or just have some epiphany that you hate patent law) that Thursday and Friday, you'd be foolish not to go.

No offense taken. I agree. In the very least it will be good interview experience. If I didn't go, I think I'd always wonder.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am

Also, and I mean this as gently as possible, if you're middle of the class at a T25, those 6 interviews could be the only ones you get this year that matter. I'm in the camp that ONE preselect for a firm you want is worth the trip. 6 is most definitely worth it.

yup. i haven't decided on the minimum of interviews that would make it worth it (i wouldn't go for one or two, cost is a huge factor for me), but whatever that threshold is, 6 preselects is definitely above it. i personally know one person who went with fewer interviews and got 2 offers.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am

to quickly rehash a question i asked earlier, if cost may not be a huge factor for me, would it be worth it to go if all I had was an alternate where I was the first one? fwiw it's with a firm I'd love to work at, in the city (DC) I'd love to be in. Or is it just too much of a long shot? I understand these are just screening interviews, etc., but just curious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

to quickly rehash a question i asked earlier, if cost may not be a huge factor for me, would it be worth it to go if all I had was an alternate where I was the first one? fwiw it's with a firm I'd love to work at, in the city (DC) I'd love to be in. Or is it just too much of a long shot? I understand these are just screening interviews, etc., but just curious
it *is* a long shot, but personally i'd go (given what i bolded), do the interview, and just enjoy chicago for a day or two.

based on absolutely nothing (never been to PLIP), i'd consider a first alternate to be a pre-select. people will drop out of this thing. and even if no one does, you can probably elbow your way into the interview anyway. talk to the interviewer, tell'em you're the 1st alternate and that you'd really love to get a chance to chat, that you came all this way for the opportunity...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
it *is* a long shot, but personally i'd go (given what i bolded), do the interview, and just enjoy chicago for a day or two.

based on absolutely nothing (never been to PLIP), i'd consider a first alternate to be a pre-select. people will drop out of this thing. and even if no one does, you can probably elbow your way into the interview anyway. talk to the interviewer, tell'em you're the 1st alternate and that you'd really love to get a chance to chat, that you came all this way for the opportunity...

yea that is something that is weighing for me to go. I wonder if I told them that I came all this way and they were the only reason I came (had nothing else, etc.), if that smacks of desperation or shows that I am a zero-flight risk for them. I don't know how that would look, assuming I'd be lucky enough to even get the interview

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 am

woops, sorry for the above accidental anon post

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Does anyone know how common it is for firms to only hire at Loyola? I'm trying to create a bid list for OCI and I don't want to waste bids there.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how common it is for firms to only hire at Loyola? I'm trying to create a bid list for OCI and I don't want to waste bids there.

I was wondering about the same thing but I imagine it varies depending on the firm's needs and the applicants it gets. I'll probably end up wasting bids because I've heard that failing at PLIP doesn't necessarily preclude OCI at a given firm. Not sure how common this really is though.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:48 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how common it is for firms to only hire at Loyola? I'm trying to create a bid list for OCI and I don't want to waste bids there.

I was wondering about the same thing but I imagine it varies on the firm's needs and the applicants it gets. I'll probably end up wasting bids because I've heard that failing at PLIP doesn't necessarily preclude OCI at a given firm. Not sure how common this really is though.

I heard Kirkland- Chicago only hires IP people at Loyola. That they won't even consider you for it at OCI. Whether you bid on them at loyola or not.

I'm wondering if other firms are like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:56 pm

I bid on Patterson, a Minneapolis firm and was selected as an alternate.

They emailed me two days ago saying "If you were not selected to be interviewed at Loyola or, were selected as an alternate it is due to having the opportunity to interview you at your local Law School's OCI here in the Twin Cities. Thank you."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:04 pm

If I have an interview a boutique firm in one city and was selected as the first alternate at the same firm but in a different city, will I be interviewing with the same people? If so, what exactly should be my approach when they ask why this firm/location? haha Should I just say that I just really want to work for their firm and say I am willing to take either position as long as it is with their firm?

Appreciate any insight you may have.

Edited out the firm name/location.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”