Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
erico

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby erico » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 pm

i'll be taking a final.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:This really shouldn't be a problem. There is only one decision that you have to make when you bid, and that is which 32 firms you want to bid on. Not a single firm requires a cover letter, and the order you rank the firms you bid on is irrelevant, since it's 100% merit based. So the only work you have to do is figure out which 32 firms you think you have the best chance at.

Personally, I looked at the NALP forms for all the firms and applied to the ones with good offer rates, large class sizes, etc. I think it's definitely to your advantage to apply to firms with 100 person summer classes over firms with 2 person classes.

Thanks for the info! Good to hear cover letters are not required. But are they ever a good idea to include when targeting certain firms?

So if firms basically only require resumes, and often UG/G transcripts, what about 1L grades? Upload an incomplete 1L grade sheet along resume, or just include first semester law school GPA on resume and update symplicity profile when second semester grades come out? For me this will be way late, up to month after bidding ends on May 5, so I'm not sure what effect these grades would have on my apps anyway, if any.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 pm

This is probably hard to generalize, but how many interviews make going to PLIP worthwhile, or not? Flying out to do one or a couple interviews would seem futile considering the overall competition (extrapolating here from the typical OCI experience from what I've heard).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm

drdolittle wrote:This is probably hard to generalize, but how many interviews make going to PLIP worthwhile, or not? Flying out to do one or a couple interviews would seem futile considering the overall competition (extrapolating here from the typical OCI experience from what I've heard).

One.

Last year, I had 5 screeners. I got two CBs and one offer. I also met a few doods who went with 1/2 screeners, but not sure about CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Anything more than 2 or 3 is worth it from anywhere in the country in my opinion. You can also basically at least add in the resume drops at the hospitality suites, and who knows, you might get an extra interview that way.

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 pm

drdolittle wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:This really shouldn't be a problem. There is only one decision that you have to make when you bid, and that is which 32 firms you want to bid on. Not a single firm requires a cover letter, and the order you rank the firms you bid on is irrelevant, since it's 100% merit based. So the only work you have to do is figure out which 32 firms you think you have the best chance at.

Personally, I looked at the NALP forms for all the firms and applied to the ones with good offer rates, large class sizes, etc. I think it's definitely to your advantage to apply to firms with 100 person summer classes over firms with 2 person classes.

Thanks for the info! Good to hear cover letters are not required. But are they ever a good idea to include when targeting certain firms?

So if firms basically only require resumes, and often UG/G transcripts, what about 1L grades? Upload an incomplete 1L grade sheet along resume, or just include first semester law school GPA on resume and update symplicity profile when second semester grades come out? For me this will be way late, up to month after bidding ends on May 5, so I'm not sure what effect these grades would have on my apps anyway, if any.

If they ask for transcripts, definitely send them in. As far as 1L grades, just put up your incomplete grades reflecting only 1L first semester. There is no need to update them on Symplicity; the employers aren't going to look back once they've made their decision. What you should do is bring an updated resume and transcript with you to the screener, because all of the employers will ask for them.

drdolittle wrote:This is probably hard to generalize, but how many interviews make going to PLIP worthwhile, or not? Flying out to do one or a couple interviews would seem futile considering the overall competition (extrapolating here from the typical OCI experience from what I've heard).

Really, it's up to you. Personally, I think that even if you only get 1 screener, and you bomb it, that it was still worthwhile for you to go, since you'll have more experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:Really, it's up to you. Personally, I think that even if you only get 1 screener, and you bomb it, that it was still worthwhile for you to go, since you'll have more experience.

I'm anon from a few up. Couldn't agree with this more. Regardless of whether you have 20 or 2 screeners, PLIP gives you a chance to acclimate to the pressure of OCI interviews. If anything, it's practice. Now, I was just as skiddish about the cost as most. I'm paying sticker at a T20 (I applied to PLIP from a TT school with pretty good grades, but transferred), and I pinch the sht out of my pennies. I couldn't justify NOT going, despite the total cost (IIRC, couldn't have been more than $4/500 in total).

I think that, if anything, the decision to go should depend upon your school's range/grades, rather than cost.

IIRC (these are anecdotes, but I did meet lots of people when I went and everybody sort of mentioned/you could tell how many screeners people had, often based upon how tired they looked), when I went, if you were at a TT with great grades (e.g. top 10-15%), you'd be lucky to get 5-7 screeners. If you were in that same grade-range at a T20, you got like 15-20. I met a bunch of NYU doods, and they had, on average, like 20-25 screeners (don't know about grades, however).

So, if you're at a TT and you got like 1-2 screeners, you'd probably be nuts NOT to go, since your school's OCI will likely have, at best, a few IP firms interviewing. Anyone else, I think you'd still be nuts not to go...unless you're like top 5% at a T6, in which case you'd probably have to no-show your school's OCI interviews NOT to get a jerb.

You'll have an immense advantage by going to PLIP that your classmates who can't go won't have. I think the only downside (if you could call it a downside), is that some firms will want to schedule CBs with you during your school's OCI. Now, the general rule of thumb is to schedule CBs ASAP, but because PLIP is so early in the summer, you might run into problems. I had to schedule my PLIP CBs during OCI, but by the time the PLIP firms were calling with CBs, I already had my OCI schedule set. The silver lining to this "downside," however, is that you might (not the norm, but possible) get offers before/during OCI CBs and certainly in some cases before OCI offers.

The potential upside that you're not going to get OCI-pwned because you went to PLIP is well-worth the $500ish outlay for travelling to Chicago, even if for a few interviews. We debated about this last year, and I don't recall anybody really putting forth a strong argument in opposition. Plus, Chicago was wonderful in the summer, and a short walk down to the water can be a nice way to relax between interview days.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for all this great advice, Anons and non-Anons! With all these compelling reasons to go, I might just fly out there even if I can't land a single interview, what the heck. :wink: I really do like Chicago...

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 pm

I'll also be taking a final during the PLI web briefing. If any of you who will be watching/listening could share whatever insights you get from it on this thread, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm a bio PhD. Top 10% at a lower T50. Anyone know how PLIP plays out for folks like me? Are you seeing a lot of bio PhD's at your schools? I know my school hasn't had one in at least two or three years, but this year all of a sudden there are three of us. With the career track for academic science sucking so bad, I'm afraid I'm part of a mass flight to patent law that will make the job search difficult. Any anecdotal observations that bear this out?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:20 pm

It seems to me that the less preselects you get the more you really have to come. It's not like are going to be picky at PLIP but easy at OCI, if they even come to OCI.

Though it's easy for me to say, I live 2 blocks from where it's going to be at.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It seems to me that the less preselects you get the more you really have to come. It's not like are going to be picky at PLIP but easy at OCI, if they even come to OCI.

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense now. One piece of "advice" I heard via OCS is that our OCI should include a large number of firms looking to hire in IP, which might obviate attending PLIP for certain students.

But as you raised earlier in this thread, at a recent local IP fair some reps mentioned that their firms do most to virtually all their IP hiring at PLIP, even of SF bay area-based students applying exclusively to SF bay area/CA offices. Goodwin Procter rep said flat out that SF bay area people should partake in PLIP because OCI could end up being too late to compete for SF/SV/SD offices.
Last edited by drdolittle on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:12 pm

yeast master wrote:I'll also be taking a final during the PLI web briefing. If any of you who will be watching/listening could share whatever insights you get from it on this thread, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm a bio PhD. Top 10% at a lower T50. Anyone know how PLIP plays out for folks like me? Are you seeing a lot of bio PhD's at your schools? I know my school hasn't had one in at least two or three years, but this year all of a sudden there are three of us. With the career track for academic science sucking so bad, I'm afraid I'm part of a mass flight to patent law that will make the job search difficult. Any anecdotal observations that bear this out?

I'm one of two bio PhDs in my class. Both of us went to PLIP and both of us got market paying jobs we're happy with. Not sure if you want prosecution or not, but you have a good shot if you do. Some firms definitely like Ph.D.s more than others - find them and bid them.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:14 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It seems to me that the less preselects you get the more you really have to come. It's not like are going to be picky at PLIP but easy at OCI, if they even come to OCI.

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense now. One piece of "advice" I heard via OCS is that our OCI should include a large number of firms looking to hire in IP, which might obviate attending PLIP for certain students.

But as you raised earlier in this thread, at a recent local IP fair some reps mentioned that their firms do most to virtually all their IP hiring at PLIP, even of SF bay area-based students applying exclusively to SF bay area/CA offices. Goodwin Procter rep said flat out that SF bay area people should partake in PLIP because OCI could end up being too late to compete for SF/SV/SD offices.

Go to PLIP. OCS wants you to wait because they want to take credit if you get a job through OCI. There is zero guarantee of there being jobs still available if you wait.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yeast master wrote:I'll also be taking a final during the PLI web briefing. If any of you who will be watching/listening could share whatever insights you get from it on this thread, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm one of two bio PhDs in my class. Both of us went to PLIP and both of us got market paying jobs we're happy with. Not sure if you want prosecution or not, but you have a good shot if you do. Some firms definitely like Ph.D.s more than others - find them and bid them.

I'm cool with prosecution. I might prefer a mix, but it seems that doesn't really happen much.

As far as bidding goes, is most of the bio action in California, NY, and DC? Do you have any sense of the opportunities in Chicago and Texas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 pm

yeast master wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm cool with prosecution. I might prefer a mix, but it seems that doesn't really happen much.

As far as bidding goes, is most of the bio action in California, NY, and DC? Do you have any sense of the opportunities in Chicago and Texas?

I'd add Boston as well. I wasn't interested in Chicago or Texas so I don't know enough to say. Obviously since PLIP is in Chicago their firms are well-represented. I had a couple of interviews just to fill up empty slots, but I'm pretty sure my regional accent made it clear I wasn't that into Chicago.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Bidding started today.

weee

Postby weee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Bidding started today.

I don't think I'm even going to use close to 32 bids.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 pm

weee wrote:

I'll use them, but I'm targeting two cites. I should be able to cover two major markets fairly easily.

@thread:

Does anyone know why Mayer Brown is listed as an employer but isn't bidable?

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Anyone know the the general distribution of undergrad majors at PLIP, or at least rank them in terms of applicant number?

BS/MS/Ph.D in:
Bio
Chem
CS/CE
EE
ME
Physics
Others

erico

Postby erico » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:59 pm

turbotong wrote:Anyone know the the general distribution of undergrad majors at PLIP, or at least rank them in terms of applicant number?

BS/MS/Ph.D in:
Bio
Chem
CS/CE
EE - Winning
ME
Physics
Others

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

1Ls: I hope the following will help you formulate your bidding strategy...I wish somebody posted something this for me last year.

T20 with 1/3 grades (when I bid last year), BSME, used all bids, spread out between high and low ranked firms, got 6 preselects and 1 screener off the waitlist (WilmerHale):

WilmerHale
Goodwinn Procter
MoFo
Howrey
Foley
Micheal Best
Knobbe

Aftermath: got a few CBs from PLIP that turned into 2 offers. Weird thing was I picked up 10 screeners at my school's OCI - including several from firms who didn't give me screeners at PLIP. The firm I'm going to is actually one who didn't even give me a screener at PLIP. I guess it's kind of a crap shoot when you dont have top grades but I hope this at least gives you an idea of what to expect.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:

I'll use them, but I'm targeting two cites. I should be able to cover two major markets fairly easily.

@thread:

are u a 2L (rising 3L)?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 pm

dood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:

@thread:

are u a 2L (rising 3L)?

No 1L.

lasagnacheese

Postby lasagnacheese » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 pm

guys, I had a quick question for you all. I hold dual degrees in physics and chemical engr *undergrad), and I am at a T25 and will be starting a masters in electrical engr in fall of this year. My 1st semester ranking is around 15%. How should i do with this patent fair?? any help will be appreciated. I am a 1L.

And oh ya, if it helps, i already took the patent bar last year but I made a 67...I plan on taking it again this summer and am very sure i will pass it.

How should i bid??

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 pm

erico wrote:
turbotong wrote:Anyone know the the general distribution of undergrad majors at PLIP, or at least rank them in terms of applicant number?

BS/MS/Ph.D in:
Bio
Chem
CS/CE
EE - Winning
ME
Physics
Others

Really, there are more EE's than other majors? From the group I met at an orientation, there weren't that many EE's... there were more chem people. Then again I saw a fairly small sample size and it was at orientation not PLIP.

Return to “Legal Employment”