Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 am

You guys think that these "not invited" are real? I think I'm 50/50 on that.

EngineeringLawyer

Postby EngineeringLawyer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am

I know the firms had a June 2nd deadline to make their selections. My feeling is that the ones that randomly turned to not selected today either decided not to come or just forgot about the selection deadline (not sure how this would play out). There is no way for this to not sound arrogant, but some of those that turned to "not selected" today at least seemed (from their own requests and firm rankings) like an easier shot than others that I had preselects.

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

EngineeringLawyer wrote:I know the firms had a June 2nd deadline to make their selections. My feeling is that the ones that randomly turned to not selected today either decided not to come or just forgot about the selection deadline (not sure how this would play out). There is no way for this to not sound arrogant, but some of those that turned to "not selected" today at least seemed (from their own requests and firm rankings) like an easier shot than others that I had preselects.

Well that's encouraging for all of us!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm

It's hard to say, I certainly got Preselects at better firms than these one that were shifted to not invited. But I've also got dinged at some pretty shit firms.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I had one that was marked at not selected this morning just turn into a preselect. It was for a firm in a nonsecondary market, although im sure that doesn't make any difference. Final selections clearly haven't been submitted for all firms.
Last edited by BarCliff on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cattail

Postby cattail » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Anyone with life sciences background here?
I only got 3 preselects and a couple of alternates. Wondering if its worth going at all.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 pm

BarCliff wrote:I had one that was marked at not selected this morning just turn into a preselect. It was for a firm in a nonsecondary market, although im sure that doesn't make any difference. Final selections clearly haven't been submitted for all firms.

Good to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:59 pm

cattail wrote:Anyone with life sciences background here?
I only got 3 preselects and a couple of alternates. Wondering if its worth going at all.

Life science background here. 8 preselects, 5 alternates, and a whole bunch of not inviteds lol I think it is worth going, especially when patent firms are always looking for the engineering folks. When an opportunity for a life science associate presents itself, I jump in a heartbeat. haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BarCliff wrote:I had one that was marked at not selected this morning just turn into a preselect. It was for a firm in a nonsecondary market, although im sure that doesn't make any difference. Final selections clearly haven't been submitted for all firms.

Good to know.
Yep. The 'not invited' thing happened last night, I checked at around midnight or so. One of them changed to a preselect this morning but the rest are still not invited, including a few where there's no way that I'm not at least an alternate given the school/market combo and my grades. Pretty sure this isn't permanent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Life science background here. 8 preselects, 5 alternates, and a whole bunch of not inviteds lol I think it is worth going, especially when patent firms are always looking for the engineering folks. When an opportunity for a life science associate presents itself, I jump in a heartbeat. haha

Another life sciences guy here (PhD, good grades at a lower T50). 13 preselects and 4 alternates so far. I told myself that I would go if I got three or more. I think it'd be worth it unless your school's OCI is super awesome for IP or something. My school's isn't, so this is my main hope for a job. I'll probably do some mailings in addition, but this is definitely the main event.

cattail

Postby cattail » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:34 pm

wow. congrats on so many preselects.

i have a phd too, 30% at a t10. I can't rely on OCI for IP, there aren't too many IP firms coming. I am really bummed by the number of preselects i got.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Another life sciences guy here (PhD, good grades at a lower T50). 13 preselects and 4 alternates so far. I told myself that I would go if I got three or more. I think it'd be worth it unless your school's OCI is super awesome for IP or something. My school's isn't, so this is my main hope for a job. I'll probably do some mailings in addition, but this is definitely the main event.

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You guys think that these "not invited" are real? I think I'm 50/50 on that.

ditto :cry: . here's to hoping some of these not-invited will change.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 pm

rodewan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You guys think that these "not invited" are real? I think I'm 50/50 on that.

ditto :cry: . here's to hoping some of these not-invited will change.

The email PLIP sent out today does say bid status changes may occur between now and June 20 so hang in there. It could've been a more helpful message though considering that, as they say, most employers have already submitted their student selections.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Anyone changed their opinion on whether those pending -> not invited are real now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:12 pm

All my pending turned to "not invited" early this morning, However, one of them turned to "preselect" this afternoon....

I have only 4 preselects.... i guess this is not good sign

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All my pending turned to "not invited" early this morning, However, one of them turned to "preselect" this afternoon....

But not invited -> preselect = good sign

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All my pending turned to "not invited" early this morning, However, one of them turned to "preselect" this afternoon....

all my pendings turned into "not invited" this morning and stayed "not invited", I am starting to think this is final.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

all my pendings turned into "not invited" this morning and stayed "not invited", I am starting to think this is final.

Three people on this thread said not invited turned into preselects.

I think it's somewhat safe to assume that the pending that turned into not invited this morning are still really pending.

Though as time goes on the less and less likely that is, because you aren't going to get notification if they actually ding you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Anyone changed their opinion on whether those pending --> not invited are real now?
There have been reports of reversals, in this thread and others. But there have not been any report of preselected --> not invited/pending/alternate. The anecdotal evidence is that preselect is a lock.

But I'm still waiting till the 20th to book.

EE, LR, URM, great EE and legal experience... but also T50ish, and 40%. Got selected by a couple of biglaw that I thought were longshots -- and that I only picked with left over bids from more realistic prospects (which BTW, all apparently rejected me). WTF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone changed their opinion on whether those pending --> not invited are real now?
There have been reports of reversals, in this thread and others. But there have not been any report of preselected --> not invited/pending/alternate. The anecdotal evidence is that preselect is a lock.

But I'm still waiting till the 20th to book.

EE, LR, URM, great EE and legal experience... but also T50ish, and 40%. Got selected by a couple of biglaw that I thought were longshots -- and that I only picked with left over bids from more realistic prospects (which BTW, all apparently rejected me). WTF?

How were your undergrad grades? I'm getting destroyed at shit patent firms, but I got preselected at a V10. Crazy.

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:41 pm

minority here (not urm though) with a cheme background, 30 not invited, and 2 alternate (but at the 20th and 38th spots) selections. none turned into preselects yet. not giving up hope, but this definitely isn't what I expected :( .

ajmax8

Postby ajmax8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:48 pm

rodewan wrote:minority here (not urm though) with a cheme background, 30 not invited, and 2 alternate (but at the 20th and 38th spots) selections. none turned into preselects yet. not giving up hope, but this definitely isn't what I expected :( .

don't worry, all my remaining pending went to not invited, with two alternates (1st and one much higher), so I have 30 not invited as well. here's to hoping they change.

General question, if I ended up as I am now, with no preselects, but I still have one firm where I am the first alternate, and it's a firm I would love to work at (V100 in the city I'd love to be in), would it be worth the $~290 airfare plus hotel? Maybe I'm crazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 pm

I hope this thing is wrong.

- 3L with B average in Computer Engineering and a B average at a T50 law school.
- 2 yrs engineering experience.
- Experience with patent searches.

31 bids. 0 preselects. 1 alternate.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm

I know I'm not at the GPA/rank level of a lot of posters on TLS, but I really thought top 20% at a T25 with significant work experience would receive more than one preselect.

Was I foolish to think that? I am not trying to start an inappropriate URM discussion, but do URMs typically receive better opportunities than non-URMs at this program?
Thanks.

omnomnom

Postby omnomnom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 pm

englawyer wrote:anyone know what "alternate" means without a number in the parenthesis? do some firms just not rank alternates or something?

+1. The pessimist in me says there is no way it can mean 1st alternate. The more likely explanation is that they didn't bother to rank us.

Return to “Legal Employment”