Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stratocophic

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yea I got a ding too.

I really don't like this. This means a slow painful deathmarch instead of a bandaid.

OK- talked to a 3L. He says that these aren't final yet. They will move around a bit, but preselects prob won't move around much. The dings and alts might.
That makes a lot of sense. Firms will doubtless want to fill the slots of people who turn down interviews, so I guess they'd have to shuffle people accordingly.

Edit: yeah, I hadn't thought about that - between grades and this I'll end up wearing the sticker off of my F5 button and lose the last vestiges of my sanity between now and June 20th. Unfortunate.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:20 pm

stratocophic wrote:

I really don't like this. This means a slow painful deathmarch instead of a bandaid.

OK- talked to a 3L. He says that these aren't final yet. They will move around a bit, but preselects prob won't move around much. The dings and alts might.
That makes a lot of sense. Firms will doubtless want to fill the slots of people who turn down interviews, so I guess they'd have to shuffle people accordingly.

Edit: yeah, I hadn't thought about that - between grades and this I'll end up wearing the sticker off of my F5 button and lose any of my remaining sanity between now and June 20th. Unfortunate.

The way I understand, he means that some of these firms use alt. liberally. And you might lose some because there were too many, and you might get turned into preselect.

erico

Postby erico » Tue May 31, 2011 5:23 pm

unlike grades, i feel like i can easily hold off on checking this. hopefully the results will be less depressing than grades.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:24 pm

erico wrote:unlike grades, i feel like i can easily hold off on checking this. hopefully the results will be less depressing than grades.

Since they aren't final, I'm not looking until the deadline.

zzzzzzzzzz

Postby zzzzzzzzzz » Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:Also, you will get your entire schedule all at once that day, and it will be available at exactly 12:00:01 AM CDT.

I looked pretty much every day last year, and I didn't get a single notification until exactly 12:00:01 on the official day of the release. Maybe they're just doing it differently this year.

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
erico wrote:unlike grades, i feel like i can easily hold off on checking this. hopefully the results will be less depressing than grades.

Since they aren't final, I'm not looking until the deadline.

This is truly a case of TLS giving me TMI rather than leaving me in ignorant bliss.

I would've never thought to look before the deadline, but once my write-on's done I'll look everyday now.

Edit: Just checked mine; have 1 preselect and 1 ding-fag.

"Not invited" is the lingo they use for the ding-fag.

weee

Postby weee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 am

I wish I hadn't read about the interviews showing up, just another thing to check endlessly.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:11 am

I really wish I didn't know about interviews showing up since I'm tempted to obsessively check every day and see if there are changes from the first time I looked. Anyone still seeing checking and seeing daily changes?

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:46 am

Did anyone else get a TON of "not invited" responses today? Literally, between last night and this morning, over twenty of my bids just updated to say "Not Invited."

Either all the firms have finished making their selections, or there has just been a database change.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 am

I checked today for the first time. I have mostly "not invited" with three preselects.

poker1928

Postby poker1928 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 am

Same. Employer selections were due yesterday according to the Loyola website so it kind of makes sense. Hopefully there is a delay between when employers submit and when the database gets updated...

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:49 am

poker1928 wrote:Same. Employer selections were due yesterday according to the Loyola website so it kind of makes sense. Hopefully there is a delay between when employers submit and when the database gets updated...

Hrmm. Has anyone had any acceptances come since last night?

weee

Postby weee » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am

All my pendings turned to not invited last night as well, no changes since then to report.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

weee wrote:All my pendings turned to not invited last night as well, no changes since then to report.

Mine are still pending.

BarCliff

Postby BarCliff » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Phew, they shifted back to pending (except for the one that was already marked not invited)

although, this could mean that they genuinely are rejections, since employers did have to send their lists in by yesterday and "pending" could meremly be a default. Employers probably just leave blank those applicants who they want to reject

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm

weird. now up to four preselects...and a bunch of "not invited" switched back to pending. there are still some "not invited" listed though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm

BarCliff wrote:Phew, they shifted back to pending (except for the one that was already marked not invited)

although, this could mean that they genuinely are rejections, since employers did have to send their lists in by yesterday and "pending" could meremly be a default. Employers probably just leave blank those applicants who they want to reject
Nah, they aren't. One of mine that said "not selected" last night reads "preselect" this morning. Let me tell you though, I freaked the FUCK out when I saw all those not selecteds staring me down - especially when I looked at the firms that had selected me and realized that I was going to have to convert interviews into offers at firms with which I have no business converting. Was reeeeeeally confused since I'd previously picked up those few hail marys and then all of a sudden even the TTTs had rejected me en masse.

Edit: and the rest are back to pending with 1 ding, so I'm pretty sure it was just a system thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm

I have 3 "not invited" and no preselects:( I wonder if I'll get any preselects now.

...the rest are pending.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 3 "not invited" and no preselects:( I wonder if I'll get any preselects now.

...the rest are pending.

3/32 isn't nearly enough to make a trend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 3 "not invited" and no preselects:( I wonder if I'll get any preselects now.

...the rest are pending.

Credited. At least for me, most of the firms that have decided are the top dogs. Wait for the rest of 'em to come out before you give up hoap. This is why it sucks that they're trickling in like this - it's depressing and utter BS to do this to people who aren't going to pick up every interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

...the rest are pending.

Credited. At least for me, most of the firms that have decided are the top dogs. Wait for the rest of 'em to come out before you give up hoap. This is why it sucks that they're trickling in like this - it's depressing and utter BS to do this to people who aren't going to pick up every interview.

update: checked again and now I have 1 "preselect" and 4 "not invited." I'm happy that I at least (hopefully unless there was an error) got one preselect:)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

...the rest are pending.

update: checked again and now I have 1 "preselect" and 4 "not invited." I'm happy that I at least (hopefully unless there was an error) got one preselect:)
That's great! Here's hoping more are on the way

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:13 pm

englawyer wrote:weird. now up to four preselects...and a bunch of "not invited" switched back to pending. there are still some "not invited" listed though.

I sure hope this happens for me. I got fairly quickly not invited by a boutique I felt would at least interview me based on what I've been advised to reasonably expect, and I got preselected by a similar but objectively better firm I thought I had much less chance with. Though I guess this preselect could switch back too...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 am

Hi everyone!,

Just found this forum. So, I have a few questions/concerns. I appreciate honesty.

Background going into my questions: T20 law school, doing a joint degree, just finished year 2/4, first semester grades were terrible because I had no idea what I was doing, second semester improved by .9...yeah big jump...During my second year, I took classes predominately in my other joint degree, but took a few law classes and did really well with them. Even though the email with instructions said that if you didn't include a GPA that firms would look negatively upon it and assume you had bad grades, I did not include my gpa because I didn't have all of my second year law grades yet and I knew I did better (and at this point, any grade I get now in law school will bring my overall GPA up because it was very low my first semester.) I figured they would probably ding me by seeing the overall GPA, but if they took a chance on me without the GPA and then saw my significant trend in improving when I bring my transcript along, I would have a better chance.
Additional info: Already passed the patent bar before law school, having been working at a patent prosecution firm at a clerk for the past year (drafting patent applications, writing office responses, working on copyright and trademark opinions), had a stellar undergrad GPA (above 3.9)

I used all my 32 bids. Of those, so far these are my results:
Preselects: 5
Alternates: 4
Not Invited: 2

1. Was I supposed to not use all of my bids? If I used them all, am I not allowed to bid in OCI? I started reading this thread and started to panic because from what I gathered, it seems that you only get 32 bids for both the loyola program and OCI? Is this deduction right? If so, definitely did not know that!
2. Follow up, should I worry now that I used all of my bids or do you think I made the right choice by accident?
3. Is this normal to receive all these bids without a GPA on the resume? Do you think they looked beyond my "no GPA as a bad GPA," and instead focused on my work experience?
4. Did any one else not include a GPA?

Thanks in advance guys! Again, I appreciate your honesty (in a nice way).

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone!,

Just found this forum. So, I have a few questions/concerns. I appreciate honesty.

Background going into my questions: T20 law school, doing a joint degree, just finished year 2/4, first semester grades were terrible because I had no idea what I was doing, second semester improved by .9...yeah big jump...During my second year, I took classes predominately in my other joint degree, but took a few law classes and did really well with them. Even though the email with instructions said that if you didn't include a GPA that firms would look negatively upon it and assume you had bad grades, I did not include my gpa because I didn't have all of my second year law grades yet and I knew I did better (and at this point, any grade I get now in law school will bring my overall GPA up because it was very low my first semester.) I figured they would probably ding me by seeing the overall GPA, but if they took a chance on me without the GPA and then saw my significant trend in improving when I bring my transcript along, I would have a better chance.
Additional info: Already passed the patent bar before law school, having been working at a patent prosecution firm at a clerk for the past year (drafting patent applications, writing office responses, working on copyright and trademark opinions), had a stellar undergrad GPA (above 3.9)

I used all my 32 bids. Of those, so far these are my results:
Preselects: 5
Alternates: 4
Not Invited: 2

1. Was I supposed to not use all of my bids? If I used them all, am I not allowed to bid in OCI? I started reading this thread and started to panic because from what I gathered, it seems that you only get 32 bids for both the loyola program and OCI? Is this deduction right? If so, definitely did not know that!
2. Follow up, should I worry now that I used all of my bids or do you think I made the right choice by accident?
3. Is this normal to receive all these bids without a GPA on the resume? Do you think they looked beyond my "no GPA as a bad GPA," and instead focused on my work experience?
4. Did any one else not include a GPA?

Thanks in advance guys! Again, I appreciate your honesty (in a nice way).

1) You are supposed to use all your bids. It has no connection to your school OCI at all. You'll have full ability to bid there.
2) See above
3) Depends on the firms I guess, but your patent clerk experience will help a lot. I bet you have call backs at prosecution firms mostly? I bet it'll harm you at the GP firms that do mostly litigation.
4) I didn't include undergrad GPA

You might have fucked up not including your GPA because it seems like it was pretty good after 3 semesters, even if one sucked.

Return to “Legal Employment”