Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby stratocophic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am

weee wrote:1. Are there any major players in IP that are conspicuously missing?

2. Does anyone have an idea what the impact of being an EE is on getting a litigation position? Is it more likely to cause a firm to lower their GPA standard, or just a substantial edge over a non tech candidate that otherwise meet their normal minimum hiring requirements.

3. Don't forget to look at the two resume collecting employers they added!
The impression I've always had is that firms care more about law GPA/law school for litigation, and background/undergrad GPA for prosecution. Could be part of the reason why prosecution jobs at big firms seem to have lots of Franklin Pierce/Loyola Chicago-type grads, as opposed to more of a T50 skew for the litigation jobs.

Akin Gump was on the list last year and isn't this year, but I dunno that they're a major player anyway.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 pm

weee wrote:1. Are there any major players in IP that are conspicuously missing?

Wilson Sonsini?

And are there any firms or employers participating that all things being equal should be missed (i.e. actively avoided) for whatever reason?

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby weee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Just bumping to suggest that you give your resume one last look and make sure it looks perfect as uploaded, probably won't cost you much time but could save your application from instant rejection for something silly.

ETA: I just found four errors in the stuff I added to my resume right before submitting.

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby erico » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:58 pm

weee wrote:Just bumping to suggest that you give your resume one last look and make sure it looks perfect as uploaded, probably won't cost you much time but could save your application from instant rejection for something silly.

ETA: I just found four errors in the stuff I added to my resume right before submitting.


yeah i just found an italicized colon. it's amazing how many small things pop up.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby flcath » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 pm

weee wrote:3. Don't forget to look at the two resume collecting employers they added!

They're gonna get loaded down with like 1,400 resumes.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby flcath » Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 am

2 questions, one or both of which may be stupid:

If a firm/office is listed as interviewing both days, does this suggest they will be preselecting more students?

Is a firm that lists my specialty (Biochem) explicitly a better bid than one that says "All" or "None specified"? I ask b/c once I've carpeted my markets of choice, I still have to use up my remaining bids and a far smaller pool (like 60 vs. 133) comes up if I search only Biochem and not All & None specified.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby wiseowl » Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am

flcath wrote:If a firm/office is listed as interviewing both days, does this suggest they will be preselecting more students?


Maybe, though there's a small chance at least that it could also mean due to scheduling that the interviewer is flying in in time for the afternoon Thursday and flying out after the morning session on Friday.

flcath wrote:Is a firm that lists my specialty (Biochem) explicitly a better bid than one that says "All" or "None specified"? I ask b/c once I've carpeted my markets of choice, I still have to use up my remaining bids and a far smaller pool (like 60 vs. 133) comes up if I search only Biochem and not All & None specified.


This is a little tougher. Probably worth sticking with the ones that say Biochem specifically. Obviously don't waste a bid on a firm that does list specialties and doesn't list Biochem; beyond that it's kind of a crapshoot.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby LogosEther » Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Is there anyone who's bidding only Chicago, like I am? I definitely did not realize that PLIP was such a national program. Is it stupid of me not to use all of my bids because I don't want to be anywhere outside of Chicago?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 pm

LogosEther wrote:Is there anyone who's bidding only Chicago, like I am? I definitely did not realize that PLIP was such a national program. Is it stupid of me not to use all of my bids because I don't want to be anywhere outside of Chicago?


I'm a little annoyed more Chicago firms aren't coming.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
LogosEther wrote:Is there anyone who's bidding only Chicago, like I am? I definitely did not realize that PLIP was such a national program. Is it stupid of me not to use all of my bids because I don't want to be anywhere outside of Chicago?


I'm a little annoyed more Chicago firms aren't coming.
FTFM

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Any sense about the degree to which PLIP-type employers really factor in being on a journal (primary and secondary), doing moot court or maybe a clinic, etc? Especially for prosecution, but in general too. I'm guessing this probably depends on the employer, and most of us doing PLIP won't have such info on our resume yet anyway, but I'm assuming even if nothing firm comes out of PLIP for many of us, we'll be targeting similar employers down the road too.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby wiseowl » Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 pm

drdolittle wrote:Any sense about the degree to which PLIP-type employers really factor in being on a journal (primary and secondary), doing moot court or maybe a clinic, etc? Especially for prosecution, but in general too. I'm guessing this probably depends on the employer, and most of us doing PLIP won't have such info on our resume yet anyway, but I'm assuming even if nothing firm comes out of PLIP for many of us, we'll be targeting similar employers down the road too.

I got questions about journal once fall OCI started, but really not many beyond UVA or places you can work as 1Ls have it now, so it's not really relevant for PLIP.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby LogosEther » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm

I have an engineering degree but no work experience with it. I assume I'll be at a bit of a disadvantage compared to people who have done a lot with their technical degrees? How much so?

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue May 03, 2011 8:03 pm

LogosEther wrote:I have an engineering degree but no work experience with it. I assume I'll be at a bit of a disadvantage compared to people who have done a lot with their technical degrees? How much so?


engineering work experience doesn't really help that much, from what i've seen. patent agent/examiner experience is much more valuable

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby erico » Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 pm

LogosEther wrote:I have an engineering degree but no work experience with it. I assume I'll be at a bit of a disadvantage compared to people who have done a lot with their technical degrees? How much so?


Hopefully a lot. ;)

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby flcath » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 am

wiseowl wrote:
flcath wrote:If a firm/office is listed as interviewing both days, does this suggest they will be preselecting more students?


Maybe, though there's a small chance at least that it could also mean due to scheduling that the interviewer is flying in in time for the afternoon Thursday and flying out after the morning session on Friday.

flcath wrote:Is a firm that lists my specialty (Biochem) explicitly a better bid than one that says "All" or "None specified"? I ask b/c once I've carpeted my markets of choice, I still have to use up my remaining bids and a far smaller pool (like 60 vs. 133) comes up if I search only Biochem and not All & None specified.


This is a little tougher. Probably worth sticking with the ones that say Biochem specifically. Obviously don't waste a bid on a firm that does list specialties and doesn't list Biochem; beyond that it's kind of a crapshoot.

Ty.

If it's not obvious from my questions, I have a less-than-sophisticated bidding strategy.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Wed May 04, 2011 2:08 am

wiseowl wrote:
drdolittle wrote:Any sense about the degree to which PLIP-type employers really factor in being on a journal (primary and secondary), doing moot court or maybe a clinic, etc? Especially for prosecution, but in general too. I'm guessing this probably depends on the employer, and most of us doing PLIP won't have such info on our resume yet anyway, but I'm assuming even if nothing firm comes out of PLIP for many of us, we'll be targeting similar employers down the road too.

I got questions about journal once fall OCI started, but really not many beyond UVA or places you can work as 1Ls have it now, so it's not really relevant for PLIP.

Thanks. But for 3Ls at PLIP, how much do employers looking to hire students with a specialized tech background value being on a journal, even if it's just a secondary one? I'm not a 3L yet but I figure I might end up bidding through PLIP next year as well.

I ask because I'm debating the amount of work to invest into our mandatory write-on given that it'll happen during the second week of my summer gig. Sounds like a lot of people treat write-ons like a full time job, which I definitely won't be able to match. So I'm trying to decide if a half-time or lesser effort to make most likely a secondary journal is even worthwhile.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 am

There are two firms that separate by technical backgroup yet also include a litigation option.

Should I pick Electrical or should I pick IP if I'm leaning towards IP yet I'm an EE?

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby wiseowl » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There are two firms that separate by technical backgroup yet also include a litigation option.

Should I pick Electrical or should I pick IP if I'm leaning towards IP yet I'm an EE?


The one that says electrical is for electrical prosecution. I'd bid both, unless you truly aren't interested at all in prosecution.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby flcath » Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:There are two firms that separate by technical backgroup yet also include a litigation option.

Should I pick Electrical or should I pick IP if I'm leaning towards IP yet I'm an EE?


The one that says electrical is for electrical prosecution. I'd bid both, unless you truly aren't interested at all in prosecution.

I bid both of MoFo's. Is that who we're talking about?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

flcath wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:There are two firms that separate by technical backgroup yet also include a litigation option.

Should I pick Electrical or should I pick IP if I'm leaning towards IP yet I'm an EE?


The one that says electrical is for electrical prosecution. I'd bid both, unless you truly aren't interested at all in prosecution.

I bid both of MoFo's. Is that who we're talking about?


Yep. I'm not going to waste two bids. I'm doing Lit and telling them in the interview that I want both.

User avatar
dresq
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dresq » Wed May 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
flcath wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:There are two firms that separate by technical backgroup yet also include a litigation option.

Should I pick Electrical or should I pick IP if I'm leaning towards IP yet I'm an EE?


The one that says electrical is for electrical prosecution. I'd bid both, unless you truly aren't interested at all in prosecution.

I bid both of MoFo's. Is that who we're talking about?


Yep. I'm not going to waste two bids. I'm doing Lit and telling them in the interview that I want both.

FYI, if I recall correctly, MoFo forces you to pick either litigation or prosecution before even starting work there. There is no both, and you're not going to be very convincing in arguing you want one or the other by going for both. I advise picking one or the other if you have a preference. If you have no preference, MoFo probably is not the right firm for you to start your career at.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby wiseowl » Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 pm

dresq wrote:FYI, if I recall correctly, MoFo forces you to pick either litigation or prosecution before even starting work there. There is no both, and you're not going to be very convincing in arguing you want one or the other by going for both. I advise picking one or the other if you have a preference. If you have no preference, MoFo probably is not the right firm for you to start your career at.


Another firm that did this last year was Foley and Lardner, which I thought might have also been the topic of the post, but they were slightly less rigid in forcing a decision. I agree with the sentiment on MoFo. They're pretty much what you see is what you get - there is a litigation spot in San Francisco, an electrical engineering prosecution spot in Reston, etc. They were not terribly receptive in trying to say "Well can't I do X in office Y?"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273252
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Anyone who is registered want to help out a unemployed 3l? I missed the registrations deadline and was wondering if one would mind composing a list of the firms that are interviewing 3ls for me so that I can be sure to specifically target them in my EPIC mass mail campaign.


Feel free to let me know or PM me. Best of Luck to all of you who were organized enough not to miss the deadline like fools.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dood » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who is registered want to help out a unemployed 3l? I missed the registrations deadline and was wondering if one would mind composing a list of the firms that are interviewing 3ls for me so that I can be sure to specifically target them in my EPIC mass mail campaign.


Feel free to let me know or PM me. Best of Luck to all of you who were organized enough not to miss the deadline like fools.


i registered and won't be going, maybe i can just change all my contact info to urs, basically giving u my spot. well either way it's kinda hard to PM u when u post anon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.