Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
?????
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby ????? » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 am

Ok. Thanks! I was not sure about putting poster/talk abstracts on mine. I figured they were too insignificant. Do people usually include those?[/quote]

I mentioned at the bottom of my publication list: X No. of Abstracts available upon request.

thelawguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby thelawguy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:30 pm

how is the selection for 3l's many firms?

dhsknox
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dhsknox » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:46 pm

thelawguy wrote:how is the selection for 3l's many firms?


Read the other posts.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:40 pm

For some of the big firms that ask for applicants to rank office preferences when bidding separately on multiple locations, any sense on how important or significant this is? For example, would a firm like this seriously not consider an applicant for their SV/SF office if they only bid for the SD/LA office? A number of these firms have not obviously concentrated their practice areas to single locations so this approach of bidding for location wastes bids and seems inefficient. I like policy of accepting only a single bid, and having the option to communicate other office prefs during the interview if need be.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby stratocophic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:48 pm

drdolittle wrote:For some of the big firms that ask for applicants to rank office preferences when bidding separately on multiple locations, any sense on how important or significant this is? For example, would a firm like this seriously not consider an applicant for their SV/SF office if they only bid for the SD/LA office? A number of these firms have not obviously concentrated their practice areas to single locations so this approach of bidding for location wastes bids and seems inefficient. I like policy of accepting only a single bid, and having the option to communicate other office prefs during the interview if need be.
It's a pretty annoying policy. Jones Day is probably the worst offender. I like the firm a lot and because of their structure they have offices in several locations I'm interested in, but using over 10% of my bids on only one firm seems idiotic.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

stratocophic wrote:
drdolittle wrote:For some of the big firms that ask for applicants to rank office preferences when bidding separately on multiple locations, any sense on how important or significant this is? For example, would a firm like this seriously not consider an applicant for their SV/SF office if they only bid for the SD/LA office? A number of these firms have not obviously concentrated their practice areas to single locations so this approach of bidding for location wastes bids and seems inefficient. I like policy of accepting only a single bid, and having the option to communicate other office prefs during the interview if need be.
It's a pretty annoying policy. Jones Day is probably the worst offender. I like the firm a lot and because of their structure they have offices in several locations I'm interested in, but using over 10% of my bids on only one firm seems idiotic.

Definitely one of the firms I was thinking of. Thing is, from what I've heard during my desperate 1L SA search, firms like Jones Day try to collaborate between offices as much as possible to the point where I was told not to worry too much about location within CA, and I'm certain not every office location has a separate resume reviewer anyway. They probably have one or a few tech savvy reviews per firm. Seems like needless complication on their end too. I'm temped to apply to just one office of these firms and let them figure out if and where I'd fit in best. The trade-off for me would be excluding some very attractive boutique firms that almost certainly will not come to my OCI, since I'm at the 32 limit.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby stratocophic » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 pm

drdolittle wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
drdolittle wrote:For some of the big firms that ask for applicants to rank office preferences when bidding separately on multiple locations, any sense on how important or significant this is? For example, would a firm like this seriously not consider an applicant for their SV/SF office if they only bid for the SD/LA office? A number of these firms have not obviously concentrated their practice areas to single locations so this approach of bidding for location wastes bids and seems inefficient. I like policy of accepting only a single bid, and having the option to communicate other office prefs during the interview if need be.
It's a pretty annoying policy. Jones Day is probably the worst offender. I like the firm a lot and because of their structure they have offices in several locations I'm interested in, but using over 10% of my bids on only one firm seems idiotic.

Definitely one of the firms I was thinking of. Thing is, from what I've heard during my desperate 1L SA search, firms like Jones Day try to collaborate between offices as much as possible to the point where I was told not to worry too much about location within CA, and I'm certain not every office location has a separate resume reviewer anyway. They probably have one or a few tech savvy reviews per firm. Seems like needless complication on their end too. I'm temped to apply to just one office of these firms and let them figure out if and where I'd fit in best. The trade-off for me would be excluding some very attractive boutique firms that almost certainly will not come to my OCI, since I'm at the 32 limit.
Yeah, it's hard to balance shooting for the bigger firms with being able to pick enough of the good boutiques. I'm having the same problem. Also frustrating are the firms that don't even list the qualifications they're looking for. I'm tempted to call and ask whether they'll be considering people with my background, since it seems pretty hit or miss and I really don't want to waste bids.

User avatar
erico
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby erico » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:27 pm

drdolittle wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
drdolittle wrote:For some of the big firms that ask for applicants to rank office preferences when bidding separately on multiple locations, any sense on how important or significant this is? For example, would a firm like this seriously not consider an applicant for their SV/SF office if they only bid for the SD/LA office? A number of these firms have not obviously concentrated their practice areas to single locations so this approach of bidding for location wastes bids and seems inefficient. I like policy of accepting only a single bid, and having the option to communicate other office prefs during the interview if need be.
It's a pretty annoying policy. Jones Day is probably the worst offender. I like the firm a lot and because of their structure they have offices in several locations I'm interested in, but using over 10% of my bids on only one firm seems idiotic.

Definitely one of the firms I was thinking of. Thing is, from what I've heard during my desperate 1L SA search, firms like Jones Day try to collaborate between offices as much as possible to the point where I was told not to worry too much about location within CA, and I'm certain not every office location has a separate resume reviewer anyway. They probably have one or a few tech savvy reviews per firm. Seems like needless complication on their end too. I'm temped to apply to just one office of these firms and let them figure out if and where I'd fit in best. The trade-off for me would be excluding some very attractive boutique firms that almost certainly will not come to my OCI, since I'm at the 32 limit.


In that vein, does it make sense to list my preferences according to where I think they would most need someone w/my background? Or is it better to just list my preferences as they really are? If I have the SV office as my bottom choice does that give them the impression I don't want to be in that market?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Last year a guest and a hotel manager got in a VERY loud, VERY profane argument


Bummed I missed that. The place is a fcking echo chamber.


DUDE, i was THERE.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:29 pm

stratocophic wrote:Yeah, it's hard to balance shooting for the bigger firms with being able to pick enough of the good boutiques. I'm having the same problem. Also frustrating are the firms that don't even list the qualifications they're looking for. I'm tempted to call and ask whether they'll be considering people with my background, since it seems pretty hit or miss and I really don't want to waste bids.

Maybe erring on including relatively more boutiques might just make more sense at PLIP, because their tech needs often seem so much clearer. On the other, they might only have a single spot to fill. :?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:34 pm

erico wrote:In that vein, does it make sense to list my preferences according to where I think they would most need someone w/my background? Or is it better to just list my preferences as they really are? If I have the SV office as my bottom choice does that give them the impression I don't want to be in that market?

I think it makes most sense to list based on where you'd think to fit in best technically because that should give you the best chance to land an interview, I'd think. This also is kind of why I'm temped to list a single best location for these firms and hope they assume (as they typically do) I'd be at least willing to go somewhere else if necessary.

edit: On second thought, this is all a black box, but I think you'd also want to balance where you think your tech abilities would fit in best (which we really don't know) and what your location preferences are in fact. I'd imagine including SV on your list at all is definitely an indication that you're seriously interested in working there. I for one will almost certainly not bid on more than one office of the large firms b/c I'm just not into many of those locations and I don't have the bids to spare.
Last edited by drdolittle on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

dood wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
wiseowl wrote:Last year a guest and a hotel manager got in a VERY loud, VERY profane argument


Bummed I missed that. The place is a fcking echo chamber.


DUDE, i was THERE.


roflcopter

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Is saying that you'd take a job anywhere frowned upon?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is saying that you'd take a job anywhere frowned upon?

I don't think it's ever going to make you look bad to target a place where you fit in well technically, even if it looks kind of random. I think their attitude would be that of course you'd take a job here (wherever the hell it may be), we're that great!

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is saying that you'd take a job anywhere frowned upon?


In principle, no, but I wouldn't use those exact words. I interviewed with firms in CA/IL/NYC/PA/DE/DC/VA/MA. Instead of saying "I'll take a jerb anywhere," I basically made it clear that I was more concerned about getting a job/doing the type of work I'd be happy doing than being in a particular geographical region...worked out pretty well, I suppose. And ITE, interviewer doods understand law students are jerb-hungry.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Do Silicon Valley firms expect ties at all? Furthest past the Mississippi I've been is Iowa City.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Do Silicon Valley firms expect ties at all? Furthest past the Mississippi I've been is Iowa City.

From my limited sense of this, the bigger the firm, the lesser the connection they expect. Certainly if you're at a top school and fit their profile, I don't think you'll need to do much convincing because everybody knows (or should know as far as they see) that SV's the place to be for IP law. From my experience, this also depends quite a bit on the attitude of the personnel involved in selecting and interviewing (inc. attorney recruiter, associates/partners, and hiring partner), which can vary a lot between offices. Some people seem to value having a more national reach, especially if they came from the east coast or midwest, others less so...

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dood » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:35 pm


LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Do Silicon Valley firms expect ties at all? Furthest past the Mississippi I've been is Iowa City.


I'd never been very far west either, and I ended up with a half dozen or more CBs in SV. If you've got the tech background and can articulate why you'd want to work out there, I don't think it's an issue for most firms.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Anyone know if SFIPLA job fair is actually going to happen?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby drdolittle » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know if SFIPLA job fair is actually going to happen?

Hastings OCS mentioned it as a job search option in addition to OCI and PLIP as recently as about a month ago. Haven't heard anything official yet though. SFIPLA website lists it as upcoming. --LinkRemoved--

dhsknox
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dhsknox » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Has anybody been to APILA's DC fair in October?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 pm

dhsknox wrote:Has anybody been to APILA's DC fair in October?


Does it still even exist? Because if it does I'll go.

User avatar
dresq
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby dresq » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dhsknox wrote:Has anybody been to APILA's DC fair in October?


Does it still even exist? Because if it does I'll go.

I think that ever since NALP shortened the time available for students to respond to offers, October is a little late in the game for a job fair. Between PLIP and OCI candidates, most summer spots probably are filled by then.

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Postby weee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 am

1. Are there any major players in IP that are conspicuously missing?

2. Does anyone have an idea what the impact of being an EE is on getting a litigation position? Is it more likely to cause a firm to lower their GPA standard, or just a substantial edge over a non tech candidate that otherwise meet their normal minimum hiring requirements.

3. Don't forget to look at the two resume collecting employers they added!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.