Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
weee

Bronze

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by weee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:40 am

^ Awesome, added to OP, better than the list format.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 am

weee wrote:ETA: I wonder if Dickstein requires a sense of humor because you need one to work at a place called Dickstein
I know someone who accidentally pronounced their name as "dick stain" at a Plip interview. not making this up.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:01 am

dresq wrote:
weee wrote:ETA: I wonder if Dickstein requires a sense of humor because you need one to work at a place called Dickstein
I know someone who accidentally pronounced their name as "dick stain" at a Plip interview. not making this up.
Did he or she get the position at Dickstain?

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 pm

drdolittle wrote:
dresq wrote:
Did he or she get the position at Dickstain?
Negatory. Also a faux pas: don't tell your interviewers you want to work in an office that doesn't exist. I was guilty of that. Got my info mixed up during a big block of consecutive interviews. Needless to say, I was not invited on a callback to interview at said nonexistent office.

dhsknox

New

Post by dhsknox » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm a transfer from T4 to T50. Did PLIP last year and got only 1 interview (even with Top 15% from T4 on my resume) from a firm in the Midwest (not Chicago) so I did not attend. My background is computer engineering and I work at the IP Department at the university where I attend law school.

This year I'm applying as a 3L. Anybody heard of any 3L's having luck at PLIP? Seems like hiring in IP has been on the up lately so I'm optimistic. :lol:

[Edit] Forgot to mention that there are 38 potential bids for 3L's. I excluded everything not looking for CompE/EE and basically there was 28ish potential bids so my bidding will be easy this year. :mrgreen:

FYI: Last year 1700 students registered for the program. Loyola says only half get interviews so here's hoping I'm in the top 850.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 am

How to list GPAs on PLIP resumes most clearly and honestly?

Would it be appropriate to cite law school and UG/G GPAs per max GPA possible at each school (GPA/4.0 or 4.3)? Seems like a GPA number alone would not be all that useful without class rank, which is not available yet at many law schools or at all for maybe most UG/Gs.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:22 pm

drdolittle wrote:How to list GPAs on PLIP resumes most clearly and honestly?

Would it be appropriate to cite law school and UG/G GPAs per max GPA possible at each school (GPA/4.0 or 4.3)? Seems like a GPA number alone would not be all that useful without class rank, which is not available yet at many law schools or at all for maybe most UG/Gs.
Depending on what school you go to they'll probably have an idea what your GPA means.

Putting X/4.333 makes your GPA look worse IMO.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:I'm a little annoyed with the "Firmwide" Lazy ass firms, since they don't list where offices are. I'm going to make a list of firms with California Offices, if someone is willing to do the same for NY or DC I will paste it in to the OP.
It's worse since sometimes they'll have a NYC office, but on NALP it looks like that office doesn't really do IP.
It's also really annoying when they don't bother to list acceptable creds. I know some of these firms almost certainly would not hire applicants with certain types of creds, at all or at particular offices, but that'd be impossible to tell from their PLIP listing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:43 am

When firms do list general creds like "top 25%," is that a strict cut off across the board, or are there varying degrees of leeway for people at T14/T6/HYS (assuming an IP bg that is in average demand)? Did anyone last year get an offer from a firm with higher listed requirements than they were able to fulfill?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 am

Clearly, asking about general academic credentials for interviews is sensitive information and requires an anonymous post.

Though I wonder too, how much leeway can EE's get if a firm asks for top 25%?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

Cutoffs are sometimes bogus, sometimes strict. Certainly, it would be stupid to spend like 20 bids on firms with like 25% cutoffs if you're at median. OTOH, IIRC, many firms will interview students who don't technically meet the criteria. I'd bet that a top 1/3 applicant from a great school with great WE is going to beat-out a top 10% similar background applicant from a TT with little/no WE.

It's strategy, and it's all relative. Ugh, I remember doing this sht last year during finals. I empathize...also kind of pissed I couldn't sign up again this year. Anyone know how many firms are listed as "looking for" (lol) 3Ls?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Cutoffs are sometimes bogus, sometimes strict. Certainly, it would be stupid to spend like 20 bids on firms with like 25% cutoffs if you're at median. OTOH, IIRC, many firms will interview students who don't technically meet the criteria. I'd bet that a top 1/3 applicant from a great school with great WE is going to beat-out a top 10% similar background applicant from a TT with little/no WE.

It's strategy, and it's all relative. Ugh, I remember doing this sht last year during finals. I empathize...also kind of pissed I couldn't sign up again this year. Anyone know how many firms are listed as "looking for" (lol) 3Ls?
I saw on another site right around 30 were looking for 3Ls.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:47 am

Eh, oh well. I just couldn't justify telling my SA firm (or even bringing it up, for that matter), during the last week of work, that I had to fly out to CHI (where they'll also be interviewing) to do PLIP.

::Crosses fingers that summer SA goes well and doesn't regret not doing PLIP::

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 am

Do any of you 2Ls/3Ls have any remembrance of how many resume collects ended up being available?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 pm

stratocophic wrote:Do any of you 2Ls/3Ls have any remembrance of how many resume collects ended up being available?
There were lots of hospitality suites collecting resumes, but I didn't go to any of them. IIRC, I've heard lots of stories of people getting interviews from drops at these things.

edit: Just as an aside, if they do it at the same venue as last year, the entire scene is pure comedy. There's hundreds of suits milling around from room to room, waiting in the lobby (which is a GIANT atrium with rooms surrounding the perimeter of the building), or sitting in little metal chairs outside interview rooms. When the clock strikes a :20, doors open, people walk out, and people walk in. :lol:

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Do any of you 2Ls/3Ls have any remembrance of how many resume collects ended up being available?
There were lots of hospitality suites collecting resumes, but I didn't go to any of them. IIRC, I've heard lots of stories of people getting interviews from drops at these things.

edit: Just as an aside, if they do it at the same venue as last year, the entire scene is pure comedy. There's hundreds of suits milling around from room to room, waiting in the lobby (which is a GIANT atrium with rooms surrounding the perimeter of the building), or sitting in little metal chairs outside interview rooms. When the clock strikes a :20, doors open, people walk out, and people walk in. :lol:
Oh I didn't even know about the hospitality suite resume drops, the Symplicity page has a separate Resume Collects section

I have heard that it's pretty fun to just sit and watch the stream of fancily-dressed people milling about every 20 minutes or so

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Overall there were probably 15-20 resume collects on PLIP Symplicity (with some being added right up to the week of the event) and 8-10 hospitality suite resume drop opportunities.

Make sure to take PLENTY of extra copies of all your materials, or else find a Kinkos when you get there to print things.

As far as the scene, what's even better are actual guests of the hotel trying to shove past hundreds of frenzied, suited students wearing water wings and swimsuits. Last year a guest and a hotel manager got in a VERY loud, VERY profane argument right about the time to switch interviews...pretty much the whole building just stopped and watched.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:39 pm

wiseowl wrote:Last year a guest and a hotel manager got in a VERY loud, VERY profane argument
Bummed I missed that. The place is a fcking echo chamber.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:55 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Cutoffs are sometimes bogus, sometimes strict. Certainly, it would be stupid to spend like 20 bids on firms with like 25% cutoffs if you're at median. OTOH, IIRC, many firms will interview students who don't technically meet the criteria. I'd bet that a top 1/3 applicant from a great school with great WE is going to beat-out a top 10% similar background applicant from a TT with little/no WE.

I saw on another site right around 30 were looking for 3Ls.
Exactly. The email we got says there're 165 bidding options for 2Ls, 38 for 3Ls, and 5 for LLMs. I seem to recall though that some of the firms apparently the best fit at least for me are open to 3Ls.

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:46 pm

drdolittle wrote:
weee wrote:You guys going w/ a 1-page or 2-page resume? I'm doing 2 so I can explain a bit more what my technical background involves.
Going with 2 to fit pubs, etc. I've been told and have found that's fine as long as long as the extra page is not fluff.
Not going to be able to make it to PLIP because of its timing. However, I am trying to get my resume together, and I was wondering for people who have publications on their resume, are you listing them as:

Authors. Title. Journal

or just

Authors. Journal

Was not sure if adding in the title just makes things too busy.

Thanks!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 pm

nit00 wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
weee wrote:You guys going w/ a 1-page or 2-page resume? I'm doing 2 so I can explain a bit more what my technical background involves.
Going with 2 to fit pubs, etc. I've been told and have found that's fine as long as long as the extra page is not fluff.
Not going to be able to make it to PLIP because of its timing. However, I am trying to get my resume together, and I was wondering for people who have publications on their resume, are you listing them as:

Authors. Title. Journal

or just

Authors. Journal

Thanks!
I've listed titles of main pubs, left them off of abstracts or other lesser stuff to save space. If you have the room, listing titles always helps I think. Puts things in better context for a technical reader. Surprisingly, I was even asked about a pub specifically with reference to its title during a 1L firm interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm

drdolittle wrote:
nit00 wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Authors. Title. Journal

or just

Authors. Journal

Thanks!
I've listed titles of main pubs, left them off of abstracts or other lesser stuff to save space. If you have the room, listing titles always helps I think. Puts things in better context for a technical reader. Surprisingly, I was even asked about a pub specifically with reference to its title during a 1L firm interview.
Ok. Thanks! I was not sure about putting poster/talk abstracts on mine. I figured they were too insignificant. Do people usually include those?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:07 pm

nit00 wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Authors. Title. Journal

or just

Authors. Journal

Thanks!

I don't mean to be rude, and you can tell me to buzz off, but what is more important than this?

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

nit00 wrote: Ok. Thanks! I was not sure about putting poster/talk abstracts on mine. I figured they were too insignificant. Do people usually include those?
It's debatable. I think if you presented work at a national conference or something similar, I'd include it. If at a departmental retreat, I probably would not. I don't think scientifically trained folk will think any of this is too superfluous though since academic faculty put info on abstracts/invited talks/posters, etc., on their resume at least early on in their career. But if listing poster abstracts/talks is what pushes your resume to two or three pages and you already have some legit pubs on there to demonstrate your work more concisely, it might not be worth it and I might just leave abstract/poster info off. It's a judgement call.

odon59

New

Post by odon59 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Anyone listen to the webcast today and care to share the highlights? Better yet, did anyone record it and care to share?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”