Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
weee

Bronze

Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by weee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Here's a breakdown of offices for each firm from erico
http://ipreveal.blogspot.com/

I'm curious what people's majors are and whether more people are looking at Litigation or Prosecution. I guess this is just a place to discuss it all, if anyone has any good info or threads to share about it, please do!

Thursday, July 28 & Friday, July 29
2011 Patent Law Interview Program

Cocktail reception at the interview hotel on Thursday, July 28 from 5:30 pm until 7:00 pm for all participating law students and employers

User Impressions of 2011 PLIP
Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted an offer on the spot from my first choice firm. Only offer I got from PLIP, but maybe because I was looking for a certain fit/culture and they were the only firm I saw aside from one from my other offer (from OCI) that really had it. Literally the best $500 I ever spent in my life, no question.
I go to a T-14 and I still think the fair was really helpful 1) in terms of getting the hang of the interview process and 2) being able to bid on more non IP firms through the school's OCI process
Last edited by weee on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 11 times in total.

erico

Bronze

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm

BSEE. Not sure about pros or lit. open to both for the right/any opportunity.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm an EE as well, and undecided on which course to go down, although I'm leaning Litigation.

But at the same time the happiest lawyer I know is a patent prosecutor... Ideally I'd want a job where I can try both in the summer/first year and then decide at that point or continue to dabble in both areas before having to choose.

Any clues what firms have this kind of opportunity TLS?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Why the fuck is bidding during finals. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why the fuck is bidding during finals. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Even more reason to start thinking about it now?

I tend to find a lot of excuses not to work during finals but productive stuff like bidding makes me fool myself into thinking I'm still doing something useful so I shouldn't hate myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 pm

weee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why the fuck is bidding during finals. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I tend to find a lot of excuses not to work during finals but productive stuff like bidding makes me fool myself into thinking I'm still doing something useful so I shouldn't hate myself.
Working ahead is the right call, and I assume that the firm list will be similar but slightly better this year.

Any idea on how to find the selectivity for non-boutique firms? Because they will have lower selectivity for IP but how much?

Also any idea if before bidding i'll be able to find out which firms wantmy Undergrad Transcript? Will it say on symplicity?

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:09 pm

weee wrote:I'm an EE as well, and undecided on which course to go down, although I'm leaning Litigation.

But at the same time the happiest lawyer I know is a patent prosecutor... Ideally I'd want a job where I can try both in the summer/first year and then decide at that point or continue to dabble in both areas before having to choose.

Any clues what firms have this kind of opportunity TLS?
I'm guessing any firm that does both. Your best chance is probably a boutique.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 pm

The timing is legitimately terrible. It starts less than 2 weeks out from finals for me and ends on like the last day of finals. Good. God.

ME, dunno about lit vs. pros but probably pros.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:

Working ahead is the right call, and I assume that the firm list will be similar but slightly better this year.

Any idea on how to find the selectivity for non-boutique firms? Because they will have lower selectivity for IP but how much?

Also any idea if before bidding i'll be able to find out which firms wantmy Undergrad Transcript? Will it say on symplicity?
I don't know about selectivity - you could always look at their IP group's credentials. Is selectivity proportional to vault ranking generally?

FWIW our spring OCI firms that wanted ug resume asked for it on symplicity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:46 pm

My (totally unsubstantiated) thoughts on selectivity: at my school there are two cutoffs for biglaw, the minimum for getting callback and a significantly higher one for the people they actually offer. I would guess that the bare minimum is the same but you can be closer to it and still have a chance at an offer.

No clue on pre-law transcripts except that I tried to upload a pdf of mine for spring oci and was shocked at the 200k file size limit. Most places that wanted ug transcripts emailed me to ask or wanted it by email up front

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

weee wrote:My (totally unsubstantiated) thoughts on selectivity: at my school there are two cutoffs for biglaw, the minimum for getting callback and a significantly higher one for the people they actually offer. I would guess that the bare minimum is the same but you can be closer to it and still have a chance at an offer.

No clue on pre-law transcripts except that I tried to upload a pdf of mine for spring oci and was shocked at the 200k file size limit. Most places that wanted ug transcripts emailed me to ask or wanted it by email up front
If you can get a CB you can get an offer. Why would they waste their time and money and a CB if you don't cut it?

Yes the 200k limit was a pain to get around. I had to scan very low resolution.

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:20 pm

This really shouldn't be a problem. There is only one decision that you have to make when you bid, and that is which 32 firms you want to bid on. Not a single firm requires a cover letter, and the order you rank the firms you bid on is irrelevant, since it's 100% merit based. So the only work you have to do is figure out which 32 firms you think you have the best chance at.

Personally, I looked at the NALP forms for all the firms and applied to the ones with good offer rates, large class sizes, etc. I think it's definitely to your advantage to apply to firms with 100 person summer classes over firms with 2 person classes.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
This really shouldn't be a problem. There is only one decision that you have to make when you bid, and that is which 32 firms you want to bid on. Not a single firm requires a cover letter, and the order you rank the firms you bid on is irrelevant, since it's 100% merit based. So the only work you have to do is figure out which 32 firms you think you have the best chance at.

Personally, I looked at the NALP forms for all the firms and applied to the ones with good offer rates, large class sizes, etc. I think it's definitely to your advantage to apply to firms with 100 person summer classes over firms with 2 person classes.
Size of IP practice should matter. A boutique with 5 is better than a firm with 100 of whom only 2 do IP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zzzzzzzzzz

New

Post by zzzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Size of IP practice should matter. A boutique with 5 is better than a firm with 100 of whom only 2 do IP.
Granted. But recognize that sometimes it's more advantageous to bid on a firm with a large summer class, but few IP associates. This is generally the case when you have really good grades.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Bidding doesn't take THAT long guys. Last year I was interested in exactly 32 firms, so it was pretty easy.

Tip: Find others at your school going, and split up firm research duties.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm

wiseowl wrote:Bidding doesn't take THAT long guys. Last year I was interested in exactly 32 firms, so it was pretty easy.

Tip: Find others at your school going, and split up firm research duties.
I hope this holds true for me since I'm only going to target one market, I figure that will really narrow things down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm

1. Any thoughts on whether we should bid our absolute top choice offices during Loyola, or possibly save some for our own school's general OCI? (I'm at CCN, so a lot of the larger offices that I really want to be at will be at both)
2. Or only bid offices that won't be at our school's OCI?
3. Can we re-interview with a firm during OCI if we are not pre-selected or rejected after screening at Loyola, or is that just dumb?

Would love to lock places down early, but at the same time I will probably be a better interviewer by the time OCI rolls around after having done Loyola... I think I'm making this more complicated than it really is. Sigh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Any thoughts on whether we should bid our absolute top choice offices during Loyola, or possibly save some for our own school's general OCI? (I'm at CCN, so a lot of the larger offices that I really want to be at will be at both)
2. Or only bid offices that won't be at our school's OCI?
3. Can we re-interview with a firm during OCI if we are not pre-selected or rejected after screening at Loyola, or is that just dumb?

Would love to lock places down early, but at the same time I will probably be a better interviewer by the time OCI rolls around after having done Loyola... I think I'm making this more complicated than it really is. Sigh.
1. Bid your top choices at PLIP. Give the firm the chance to pick where they want to interview you. There's also no guarantee for GP/lit firms that they will send an interviewer who has any clue about IP to your school, so take the chance now while you have it.
2. Definitely do this, obviously, but as above, just bid who you want most (wisely).
3. I would re-bid on a firm that doesn't preselect you, as not getting a preselect at PLIP isn't a huge referendum on you. Thousands are bidding for dozens of spots. If you're screened and don't get a callback, however, don't rebid. It's also likely of course that you won't have the full results from PLIP before it's time for OCI. I got callbacks from PLIP well into September.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 pm

are any current 2Ls are bidding just in case no-offered after 2L summer? i registered thinking about this. anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 pm

dood wrote:are any current 2Ls are bidding just in case no-offered after 2L summer? i registered thinking about this. anyone else?
i considered it, but i'm just not sure i can put on enough of a poker face to interview with other firms while I didn't know about my 2L firm (offers supposedly are made mid-Aug). i'd accept an offer from my current firm in a heartbeat.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:24 am

I think double bidding a firm is probably a tactical mistake. Taking a chance on a new firm is better than risking a firm that dinged you before your interview.

A better question is, which firms only hire from loyola. I've heard some firms do that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:07 am

dood wrote:are any current 2Ls are bidding just in case no-offered after 2L summer? i registered thinking about this. anyone else?
I am a 2L and have signed up for PLIP. However my SA position runs through into August and I am not sure how to actually attend since we are expected to be present at the office for the entirety of the program. How are others dealing with this or have dealt with this in the past?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 am

I didn't end up registering, although I know plenty of patent doods at GW with SAs this summer who did. My SA doesn't end until like early August, and I'm not trying to be like, "oh hey, sorry, I have to go to PLIP this week so I'll be out of the office on Thursday and Friday, cool?" Most people I know finish in mid-July, so this isn't an issue for them.

edit for last poster: IMO, you don't want to give the firm any reason to ding you. I'm not saying your firm will ding you for going to PLIP, but ITE, you never know. I think TCR these days is to be the best fcking SA evar, do excellent work, attend all events, etc...so that when it comes time for reviews and hiring committee meetings in August, nobody will say, "oh yeah, X missed his/her last few days of work to go interview out in Chicago at PLIP" (at which, presumably, they'll be in attendance).

To be sure, I'm sure an argument could be made that your firm would allow you to go to PLIP since, ITE, everybody has to cover their ass, just in case. Maybe someone's firm is totally cool with that. I wouldn't want to ask, however, so that's why I'm not going. And hey, there's always 3L OCI (albeit, a mythical creature, but probably easier for patent folks than most others).
Desert Fox wrote:I think double bidding a firm is probably a tactical mistake. Taking a chance on a new firm is better than risking a firm that dinged you before your interview.

A better question is, which firms only hire from loyola. I've heard some firms do that.
I don't think double bidding is necessarily a mistake. The following scenarios are possible: (1) you bid on firm A, they don't give you a screener at PLIP, you re-bid on them at OCI and either get a screener or get dinged again, or (2) you bid on firm A, they give you a screener at PLIP, you don't hear back from them for a while, you also bid on them for your OCI, and you get a CB from PLIP or dinged by PLIP and either a screener or nothing at OCI.

IIRC, I had experiences with both sets of outcomes. For example, bid on a firm at PLIP, didn't get a screener, but also bid on them at OCI and did/didn't get screeners...got a screener with a firm at PLIP, still bid on them at OCI, and got a CB from them at PLIP and "cancelled" my OCI screener, etc...

I guess TCR here depends upon your school's potential bid list and the firms coming to PLIP. So, if you're certain you'll have a set of OCI bid choices quite distinct from those at PLIP, then by all means spread your bids out as much as possible and don't feel compelled to double-bid or overlap your bids amongst firms/firm offices. If you're at a not-so-great-school w/r/t OCI, then you're probably going to want to double-bid for sure.

The great thing about PLIP is that it's an "extra OCI" for all us science-types. I mean, if you really think about it, PLIP provides an amazing advantage over most classmates w/r/t interviewing and finding 2L summer gigs. I did PLIP last year, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Although I got less than 7 screeners, 2 of those turned into CBs and one CB into an offer.

GL at PLIP C/O 2013!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 pm

is it normal to interview with two offices of the same firm?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Signed up for the web program and included the link to it in the OP. Katherine Patterson is a pretty great resource and I recommend checking that audio out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”