Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

[edited by mod]
wiseowl wrote:If you want to make a thread to query/troll engineers, do it. This thread has a specific purpose, and this debate isn't it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 am

Has anyone heard from Frommer Lawrence Haug NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Frommer Lawrence Haug NY?
I haven't heard from them either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:21 am

Has anyone gotten a CB from Jenner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 am

Already had my 1st CB, I dont think it went very well. Hiring partner asked me what I wanted in a firm. I said something like "beside high-level, interesting and challending work, which all firms at this level do anyway, what attracts me to this particular firm is the congenial nature of everyone I've met, and their emphasis on creating a good and pleasant working environment." Then I asked what she wanted in an associate, and she says "First, someone who can produce quality work, THEN someone I can get along with." Somehow I felt like she was saying I didn't qualify for the 1st part. Ooops. But that makes no sense, they wouldn't have preselected me, then invited me for a CB if they thought so. But because this firm is probably a serious reach for my stats (and I am a URM so I feel like these firms sometimes put on a show with us), I can't shake the insecurity. :-(

This is crazy though: I am the type to think that in such an employer's market, where firms have more qualified candidates than they can handle, they wouldn't waste time and resources on someone they weren't seriously considering. But it's funny how reason goes out the window when dealing with your own insecurities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Already had my 1st CB, I dont think it went very well. Hiring partner asked me what I wanted in a firm. I said something like "beside high-level, interesting and challending work, which all firms at this level do anyway, what attracts me to this particular firm is the congenial nature of everyone I've met, and their emphasis on creating a good and pleasant working environment." Then I asked what she wanted in an associate, and she says "First, someone who can produce quality work, THEN someone I can get along with." Somehow I felt like she was saying I didn't qualify for the 1st part. Ooops. But that makes no sense, they wouldn't have preselected me, then invited me for a CB if they thought so. But because this firm is probably a serious reach for my stats (and I am a URM so I feel like these firms sometimes put on a show with us), I can't shake the insecurity. :-(

This is crazy though: I am the type to think that in such an employer's market, where firms have more qualified candidates than they can handle, they wouldn't waste time and resources on someone they weren't seriously considering. But it's funny how reason goes out the window when dealing with your own insecurities.
My theory is that once you're in the door for the CB, stats are out the window. They know your stats and called you back for a reason, and you can't do anything about your stats anyways. Just try have good conversations that are enjoyable for the interviewer and make you look smart, hardworking, fun, interested, and east to work with. I understand the obsessive post-CB evaluation but just forget about it. All you can do is ride it out until you get dinged...or get an offer.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am

BTW that sounds like a really lame interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am

erico wrote:BTW that sounds like a really lame interview.
?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Snail mail ding from Vedder Price (Chicago). Took forever to get here too -- the thing was mailed on the 4th and I'm just now getting it on the East Coast. WTF?

I shoulda consulted TLS before bidding, I woulda known I was wasting my time with these Chicago firms. NOW I read its a very tough market to get into!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:33 pm

How does it work if you want to do a screener for another firm on the same trip as a callback? Just bill the CB firm for the flights/one night hotel stay and pick up the tab for the other night?

ehshornet

New

Post by ehshornet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:37 pm

quadsixm wrote:How does it work if you want to do a screener for another firm on the same trip as a callback? Just bill the CB firm for the flights/one night hotel stay and pick up the tab for the other night?
That is what I am doing next weekend. Doesn't look good if you "overextend" your stay and charge the call back firm the expenses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:38 pm

*crickets*

(is post plip activity done??)

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:*crickets*

I sure hope not, I still haven't heard anything from 5 firms

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:00 pm

quadsixm wrote:How does it work if you want to do a screener for another firm on the same trip as a callback? Just bill the CB firm for the flights/one night hotel stay and pick up the tab for the other night?
make sure the 2nd firm is only a screening interview. if you are going there, chances are its CB style and the second firm should/will split costs.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

ehshornet wrote:
That is what I am doing next weekend. Doesn't look good if you "overextend" your stay and charge the call back firm the expenses.
Actually, from an ethical standpoint you really should clear this with the firm footing the bill for your flight out there. They might not be paying for the extra night at the hotel, but they did pay your airfare.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:48 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:*crickets*

I sure hope not, I still haven't heard anything from 5 firms
This week was very quiet. Last week I had 6 callbacks and 2 dings. This week: not a peep. I'm still waiting on seven firms. I think the silence is probably a bad sign for prospects at the big GP's, but it seems like a fair amount of the boutiques have a longer timeline.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I think a lot of the boutiques are waiting to do OCI at other schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm

still haven't heard from fish, though i know many have. the other 4 pending are boutiques (and ppl have heard of mbhb as well. plus they are from chitown, and i have no ties there but friends).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Anyone get dinged from Fish yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Perkins Coie Seattle CB by phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Fish. I know both San Diego and NY have sent email callbacks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: Fish. I know both San Diego and NY have sent email callbacks.
fuck. nyc was my top choice, though i did list dc and boston in that order as well. fat chance tho. the interview was forgettable anyway so im certain its a ding, but i just wanna knooooow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: Fish. I know both San Diego and NY have sent email callbacks.
fuck. nyc was my top choice, though i did list dc and boston in that order as well. fat chance tho. the interview was forgettable anyway so im certain its a ding, but i just wanna knooooow.
Same here! This wait is killer. My top choice was Delaware. Next was DC.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
?
Just a useless question to ask that would get almost the exact same answer from everyone.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:09 am

erico wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
?
Just a useless question to ask that would get almost the exact same answer from everyone.
It's a bitch to answer, too. I know that they know that I know what their firm is like, so I can't come out and start rattling things off that fit the office to a T, even if it's true. On the other hand, if I dance around too much i either start babbling or start describing someone else. Definitely ways to differentiate offices and firms within the answer, but it's tricky if they spring it on you unexpected. I'd rather they ask "why this firm" so I can actually say what I'm thinking without worrying whether they think I'm just sucking up and saying what I think they want to hear.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”