Loyola PLIP thread for 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP thread for 2011

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bid on Patterson, a Minneapolis firm and was selected as an alternate.

They emailed me two days ago saying "If you were not selected to be interviewed at Loyola or, were selected as an alternate it is due to having the opportunity to interview you at your local Law School's OCI here in the Twin Cities. Thank you."
Weird but at least they told you. Most of my preselects are firms that go to my school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Life science PhD here. Middle of my class at a T25. 6 preselects, 2 alternates. On the cusp as to whether it is worth it.
That is pretty decent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Anyone had any movement since yesterday. I'm really afraid those that moved yesterday morning are real.

rodewan

Bronze

Post by rodewan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm

i sure hope not, still have a not-invited status from everybody :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone had any movement since yesterday. I'm really afraid those that moved yesterday morning are real.
Yeah. I had a not selected turn to preselect this morning, the rest that were not selected stayed the same. Hope is not yet lost, ladies and gents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone had any movement since yesterday. I'm really afraid those that moved yesterday morning are real.
Yeah. I had a not selected turn to preselect this morning, the rest that were not selected stayed the same. Hope is not yet lost, ladies and gents.
I love you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I love you.
I do what I can :mrgreen:

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I hope this is not as rare as it seems. None of my not inviteds ever changed as far as I know, and there are many.
Last edited by drdolittle on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope this is not as rare as it seems. None of my not inviteds ever changed as far as I know.
I think the one's that slowly changed to "not invited" are probably rejections. But the ones that all turned from pending to not selected yesterday morning still have a shot at turning something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope this is not as rare as it seems. None of my not inviteds ever changed as far as I know.
Poster above. I've had it happen 2 or three times over the last few days - I think it's because firms are just trickling in very slowly. At least I hope so, otherwise almost all of my target firms rejected me and I'm going to be counting on V20s/boutiques that take 1-4 summers to pick me up - not happening in this lifetime.
Desert Fox wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think the one's that slowly changed to "not invited" are probably rejections. But the ones that all turned from pending to not selected yesterday morning still have a shot at turning something else.
TITCR. The ones that changed individually and have stayed in place throughout are almost certainly final.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote: I think the one's that slowly changed to "not invited" are probably rejections. But the ones that all turned from pending to not selected yesterday morning still have a shot at turning something else.
Wait, the ones that changed for you yesterday changed to "not selected" instead of "not invited?"

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: I think the one's that slowly changed to "not invited" are probably rejections. But the ones that all turned from pending to not selected yesterday morning still have a shot at turning something else.
Wait, the ones that changed for you yesterday changed to "not selected" instead of "not invited?"
Sorry, I mean not invited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi,

Currently around top 1/3 (though I did not list a GPA or rank on my resume when bidding...pretty stupid in hindsight) at a T6, with 10 pre-selects and 5 alternates.

I actually have an extremely crappy IP background (life science bachelors only, no work and minimal research experience), but it is from a very top UG which may have helped get the number of preselects that I did. I like IP but would be open to doing non-IP related law as well, and have some finance experience that may be more competitive for corporate.

I had hoped to use loyola as a way to pick up more interviews at IP focused firms in secondary markets that I have ties to, but as it stands I am mainly getting preselects with biglaw firms that would be coming to my OCI anyways, and/or are not in the secondary markets I want.

Would you go given my circumstances? I'm mainly afraid of being a weak IP candidate being compared in a pool with others who have much stronger tech credentials, and then striking out completely with firms that I would have had a better chance getting a non-IP offer with during OCI. At the same time, getting more interview experience before OCI could be helpful, and would free up some of my bids for my school's OCI.

Not sure what to do. Would it be stupid to tell loyola interviewers that I would be open to working in their non-IP groups as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Not sure what to do. Would it be stupid to tell loyola interviewers that I would be open to working in their non-IP groups as well?
I would not do this. You should def act gung-ho about IP at Loyola (I've heard this from an associate i know). You are probably a stronger candidate for Lit than Prosecution, so if anything focus your "interest" on Lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 am

I used to have a 3.40 at MVP, and after second semester my GPA has fallen to 3.32. Will this make much of a tangible difference? Kind of worried atm.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:03 pm

After looking up flight costs and considering hotel price too I am now 99% not going. I am sitting on 16 ps and three longshot alts. I probably seem a little crazy but for me my reasons are good enough.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:04 pm

weee wrote:After looking up flight costs and considering hotel price too I am now 99% not going. I am sitting on 16 ps and three longshot alts. I probably seem a little crazy but for me my reasons are good enough.
TBF, with that many PS's you'll get something from real OCI anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 pm

are people buying tickets etc now, or waiting until 6/20 just in case?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
weee wrote:After looking up flight costs and considering hotel price too I am now 99% not going. I am sitting on 16 ps and three longshot alts. I probably seem a little crazy but for me my reasons are good enough.
Credited. Paradoxical, but the people who have the least to gain by going are the ones who do the best - mass mailing and OCI are much more likely to be effective. The fewer preselects you've got, the higher the stakes/important it is to go.

ajmax8

New

Post by ajmax8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Credited. Paradoxical, but the people who have the least to gain by going are the ones who do the best - mass mailing and OCI are much more likely to be effective. The fewer preselects you've got, the higher the stakes/important it is to go.
Maybe that explains why I would almost go just for the one first alternate that I have haha. Seems like if you were in a good enough position, you could almost use plip as a screener to see what firms you should bid on at your school's oci. But then it could also backfire on you.

Side question: At this point, even with 10 days left, does it seem like all of the not invited statuses are going to stay that way? Mine all went to that status the other day, or two, ago, when it happened en masse. I obviously would not be able to tell which firms then affirmatively made their decision to go not invited.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

ajmax8 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Maybe that explains why I would almost go just for the one first alternate that I have haha. Seems like if you were in a good enough position, you could almost use plip as a screener to see what firms you should bid on at your school's oci. But then it could also backfire on you.

Side question: At this point, even with 10 days left, does it seem like all of the not invited statuses are going to stay that way? Mine all went to that status the other day, or two, ago, when it happened en masse. I obviously would not be able to tell which firms then affirmatively made their decision to go not invited.
I have a suspicion that there are 5-10 more on my list that haven't been decided yet, but I'm far from sure about that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:43 pm

ajmax8 wrote:
Side question: At this point, even with 10 days left, does it seem like all of the not invited statuses are going to stay that way?
This is what I'm expecting, or at least very little movement, but who knows. I'm going based on what I've got now (assuming it's firm), anything else will be a bonus.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
If I had that many, I prob wouldn't go either, and save myself the cost knowing that I'll be in demand at OCI. I think you should go though if you're at all worried about your interview skillz b/c that many will obviously give you great practice.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

I'm still just baffled people would pass up opportunities. The cost is obviously a big factor, but

-what if that firm decides not to go to your OCI?
-what if your school does a lottery and you don't get an interview?
-what if they send a non-IP interviewer who has no idea if you're a good candidate or not?
-what if the firms have x number of callbacks to give out for the whole fall, and they decide to give the majority at Loyola?

These may not apply or may sound overly worrywart, but I'm telling you this as someone who did well at Loyola last year and not as well at school OCI. They're just different ballgames. These firms are rolling out the red carpet saying "Hey, we're interviewing IP folks at Loyola." Callbacks and offers will be much easier to come by from this than from OCI.

LogosEther

Bronze

Post by LogosEther » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

wiseowl wrote:I'm still just baffled people would pass up opportunities. The cost is obviously a big factor, but

-what if that firm decides not to go to your OCI?
-what if your school does a lottery and you don't get an interview?
-what if they send a non-IP interviewer who has no idea if you're a good candidate or not?
-what if the firms have x number of callbacks to give out for the whole fall, and they decide to give the majority at Loyola?

These may not apply or may sound overly worrywart, but I'm telling you this as someone who did well at Loyola last year and not as well at school OCI. They're just different ballgames. These firms are rolling out the red carpet saying "Hey, we're interviewing IP folks at Loyola." Callbacks and offers will be much easier to come by from this than from OCI.
Seriously. Why not take every chance you have? You may be 99% sure that you'll find something later, but why gamble that 1% on your entire future? Just spend the $400, go to the interviews, get a few offers, and turn them down if you want to. That way, 5-10 years from now, you're sure you won't be thinking "why did I care so much about that $400?"

Or... Don't go and increase my odds of getting an offer. Tyia.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”