1L summer job advice/opinions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer job advice/opinions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Just received a call asking for an interview with a federal magistrate judge. I'm aware that general etiquette is that you MUST accept offers from judges (especially true for clerkships, debatable with respect to internships).

I conditionally accepted an RA position already but the professor understands that I may decline if I receive something later/in another location. Application to a COA judge still pending.

I would probably be able to split the COA and RA jobs, but not the magistrate position (in another state).

question: do I accept the interview with the magistrate exposing myself to the possibility of having to accept (and not being able to split with anything), or do I rely on the position I already have as an RA and hope the COA judge comes through?

Last point: I have a strong preference for the location of the magistrate judge compared to the other opportunities but not so much so that I would turn down great opportunities where the COA/RA position is located.

ohnowtf

Re: 1L summer job advice/opinions

Postby ohnowtf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I could be mistaken, but I think the rule is that you cannot accept an offer to clerk/intern for a judge and then renege on it. You can, however, turn down an offer.

I would interview accept the interview if you are actually interested in the position, which it seems that you are.. When decisions are pending, you have every reason to keep interviewing/applying.

You might be able to do the RA position remotely. An RA, for the most part, does nothing but research. As long as you have westlaw/lexis and access to a law library, you should be able to RA wherever you are. So, if you really wan to RA, you could prob find a way to do that even if you are working in a different state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

OP here

thanks for the advice ohnowtf

ohnowtf wrote:I could be mistaken, but I think the rule is that you cannot accept an offer to clerk/intern for a judge and then renege on it. You can, however, turn down an offer.

other opinions? is this the "rule" or am I bound to accept?

ohnowtf wrote:You might be able to do the RA position remotely. An RA, for the most part, does nothing but research. As long as you have westlaw/lexis and access to a law library, you should be able to RA wherever you are. So, if you really wan to RA, you could prob find a way to do that even if you are working in a different state.

I'm not sure if I'd have access to a law library, is that essential? I should have lexis/westlaw access

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

ohnowtf wrote:I could be mistaken, but I think the rule is that you cannot accept an offer to clerk/intern for a judge and then renege on it. You can, however, turn down an offer.

I would interview accept the interview if you are actually interested in the position, which it seems that you are.. When decisions are pending, you have every reason to keep interviewing/applying.

You might be able to do the RA position remotely. An RA, for the most part, does nothing but research. As long as you have westlaw/lexis and access to a law library, you should be able to RA wherever you are. So, if you really wan to RA, you could prob find a way to do that even if you are working in a different state.

What he said. There is no obligation to accept an offer. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an offer. What will put you in hot watter with a judge is rescinding an accepted offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”