Haven't heard back about scheduling an Interview.. Me Worry?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Haven't heard back about scheduling an Interview.. Me Worry?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am

I've been notified that I wil be interviewed for a federal judicial externship, I have given my availabilities to interview, but I haven't heard back about scheduling a date for the interview for about a week now. Is this normal? Is it possible that a judge interviews potential externs in line with his/her preferences, and decides to offer/not offer the job to each potential extern before he/she even schedules an interview with the next potential candidate? Should I keep waiting or should I call/email and ask if anything is the matter? Anyone who has gone through the process, how much time elapsed between a message of "we will be scheduling interviews soon" and your actual scheduling of the interview (nevermind the date of the actual interview). Also, were you ever told that you didn't make the cut before you even had a chance to interview? How does this process normally work?

Cupidity

Re: Haven't heard back about scheduling an Interview.. Me Worry?

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been notified that I wil be interviewed for a federal judicial externship, I have given my availabilities to interview, but I haven't heard back about scheduling a date for the interview for about a week now. Is this normal? Is it possible that a judge interviews potential externs in line with his/her preferences, and decides to offer/not offer the job to each potential extern before he/she even schedules an interview with the next potential candidate? Should I keep waiting or should I call/email and ask if anything is the matter? Anyone who has gone through the process, how much time elapsed between a message of "we will be scheduling interviews soon" and your actual scheduling of the interview (nevermind the date of the actual interview). Also, were you ever told that you didn't make the cut before you even had a chance to interview? How does this process normally work?

I think calling after a week is acceptable. This same thing happened to me, after being contacted on Monday I decided to wait until the following Friday, they called on Thursday. The last Friday in March is a regulatory deadline for most (all?) federal courts, and they have to clear their docket by the end of that period to satisfy the constitutional "speedy trial requirement." Because of this, mid-late March is a clusterfuck at every Federal District Court... delays should be expected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 am

Good to know about the end of March reg deadline, I was not aware of that; although I guess that would make the deadline March 25th... which doesn't really help my situation out too much, as I got the first call after the 25th. My plan right now I guess will be to call them early this week... but boy do I hope they contact me before then, as I hate awkward phone calls...

Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it. If anyone else has had any similar experiences, the advice would also be appreciated.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 am

If it makes you feel any better, I got the position. They are likely still playing catch up on the rest of there caseload that wasn't set to be expedited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 am

Well that does make me feel a little better. Just to clarify though, you talked about availabilities, the hiring person said she'd be in touch with you to schedule an interview, and then you didn't hear back from them for almost two weeks?

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 am

Yes. I was terrified because I was initially contacted mid-February, didn't schedule my interview until almost march, didn't have the interview until nearly the end of march.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:47 am

Wow, well if your experience isn't too far from the norm, I certainly feel better about waiting to call them. Thanks again.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:57 am

I'd still call sometime next week, I just wouldn't stress.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:18 am

Will do, I was definitely planning on calling them this week. Your input, however, has indeed helped to alleviate some of the stress. I will also make sure that I call them mid to late this week, and not buckle and call them on Monday morning or something lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm

here's a question: does this info apply to the COA level internships as well?

I sent my resume and cover letter to a COA judge in mid-February (he/she said they were taking applications). I still haven't heard anything. I called about 1.5-2 weeks ago and the secretary said that the position had not been filled yet but I (stupidly) didn't ask nor did she tell me where in the process this judge is. Should I be worried? Is it too early to call again? I'm I most likely SOL?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:here's a question: does this info apply to the COA level internships as well?

I sent my resume and cover letter to a COA judge in mid-February (he/she said they were taking applications). I still haven't heard anything. I called about 1.5-2 weeks ago and the secretary said that the position had not been filled yet but I (stupidly) didn't ask nor did she tell me where in the process this judge is. Should I be worried? Is it too early to call again? I'm I most likely SOL?

OP here. I don't think the information here exactly pertains to you... I sent out quite a few applications, and still haven't heard back from the vast majority of them. My question here regards a judge who I did hear back from regarding setting up an interview. I think the basic assumption here is that if you don't hear back at all, you didn't make the cut for an interview. If you applied to only one COA judge, I have to admit that doing so was a bit of gamble, as you never know how these things will go.

For example, it's never even crossed my mind to call any of the judge's who I haven't heard back from and ask them where they are in the process.... However, that being said, I am not saying you shouldn't call them at all. Although persistance in doing so could put them off, the right amount could (posssibbbllyyy) simply demonstrate interest, and/or at least cause them to take a longer glance at your application. However, I could be wrong on this issue.

Return to “Legal Employment”