Dilworth Paxon

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dilworth Paxon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:05 pm

so...whats the reputation of this firm? its a "large" firm, not big enough for biglaw (IMO)...I'd like to know what people say about this firm rather than what their website says..

Anonymous User

Re: Dilworth Paxon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm

*Paxson

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so...whats the reputation of this firm? its a "large" firm, not big enough for biglaw (IMO)...I'd like to know what people say about this firm rather than what their website says..

Well, all I know is from looking at NALP, but in case you haven't see it:

- They pay under-market for Philly ($110k vs. $125-130k).
- They only gave offers to 1/3 of their SAs in 2009 (which admittedly was a bad year, but that's still on the very low side).
- They have a minimum billable hour requirement of 2000 hours, which is higher than the average Philly firm (for example, Fox Rothschild's is 1850-1900, depending on practice area).

In sum, probably a fine firm if you want to be in Philly and/or make six figures and don't have many other options, but certainly not a great firm, at least by the numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so...whats the reputation of this firm? its a "large" firm, not big enough for biglaw (IMO)...I'd like to know what people say about this firm rather than what their website says..

- They only gave offers to 1/3 of their SAs in 2009 (which admittedly was a bad year, but that's still on the very low side).
- They have a minimum billable hour requirement of 2000 hours, which is higher than the average Philly firm (for example, Fox Rothschild's is 1850-1900, depending on practice area).

In sum, probably a fine firm if you want to be in Philly and/or make six figures and don't have many other options, but certainly not a great firm, at least by the numbers.

Hmm. thanks. When I visited the firm to do a CB interview the Philly office was medium sized. The lawyers there were telling me they get alot of hands on experience compared to other firms that pay 6 figures in Philly. Do you think that's something helpful for a young associate?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

Hmm. thanks. When I visited the firm to do a CB interview the Philly office was medium sized. The lawyers there were telling me they get alot of hands on experience compared to other firms that pay 6 figures in Philly. Do you think that's something helpful for a young associate?

Well, they have more partners than associates, which is definitely not the norm, so I can believe that associates get a lot of experience early on vs. doing all doc review. However, unless you really love the feel of the firm, I would say go to wherever you are offered the most money. Remember, the average "lifespan" of a lawyer at their first firm is 4-6 years -- going to a more well-known firm will give you better exit options. Also, even if the 1st year salary is only $20k difference, remember that firms that start off paying below market tend to give less in salary raises and bonuses, so over five years it can really add up to a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

that is an excellent point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 pm

They are not on the radar for law students like Ballard or Pepper or Drinker might be, but every attorney in the Philadelphia region knows them. Your exit options would therefore be just as good.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are increasing hiring, because apparently they fared well in tough times.

Return to “Legal Employment”