question about asking/fitting in vacation time

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

question about asking/fitting in vacation time

Postby anonymcoffee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:13 pm

so I will be accepting a full time offer tomorrow that is for ten weeks and starts june 1 to august 12. GW finishes at the end of April so I have the month of May free (but will be taking a summer class). I would want to go back home to see my family and I am trying to plan it so that both me and my sister are there at the same time (she is not available until after June). The employer seems very nice and asked if I have any questions to ask. How should I go about asking for maybe a week off? Is this pushing it - I live in the South so I would buy plane tickets that cost a lot and I wouldn't want to go for only a weekend? Should I accept the job and ask later while I've been there for a while or should I just ask now and risk looking bad? How are you guys coordinating going back home? I haven't seen my family in so long and I miss them :(

Sup Kid

Re: question about asking/fitting in vacation time

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:34 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:so I will be accepting a full time offer tomorrow that is for ten weeks and starts june 1 to august 12. GW finishes at the end of April so I have the month of May free (but will be taking a summer class). I would want to go back home to see my family and I am trying to plan it so that both me and my sister are there at the same time (she is not available until after June). The employer seems very nice and asked if I have any questions to ask. How should I go about asking for maybe a week off? Is this pushing it - I live in the South so I would buy plane tickets that cost a lot and I wouldn't want to go for only a weekend? Should I accept the job and ask later while I've been there for a while or should I just ask now and risk looking bad? How are you guys coordinating going back home? I haven't seen my family in so long and I miss them :(

Based on your dates, why don't you ask if you can work until 8/12 (that's a Friday) and take 2-3 days off sometime in the middle for a long weekend (like R/F/M off one week). You could also ask to begin working on 5/31 to add a day, though some places require everyone to start on the same day.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm

okay but when should I ask this, now before I accept or later after a few weeks have passed? do students usually ask for this? thanks for the advice.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:03 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:okay but when should I ask this, now before I accept or later after a few weeks have passed? do students usually ask for this? thanks for the advice.

Considering it's only a couple of days, and you're offering to make them up, I think you can ask when you call to accept. Just be like, after you accept, "by the way, I was wondering..." I worked at a large USAO last summer, and a number of interns there took off a couple days for similar things, and no one was even required to make them up (note, this was unpaid -- if you are getting paid, you should be willing to work for a full 50 days).

Return to “Legal Employment”