sexual harassment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Objection

Re: sexual harassment?

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Look -

Those of you calling "flame" lack sufficient evidence, and the fact is that OP does not seem to be doing anything other than asking for advice, which would be a pretty weak troll, if it were a troll.

If you feel that this thread is not true, then don't participate in it. But stop shitting it up with accusations, reports, and random off-topic statements. Participate kindly or GTFO.

Thanks,

MGMT

MGMT --

Regardless of the actual truth behind what the OP said, when the OP had been posting one month earlier about applying to law schools, it does seem to be pretty solid grounds for questioning the story, at least in most cases.

Thanks,

LOGIC

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Those of you calling "flame" lack sufficient evidence, and the fact is that OP does not seem to be doing anything other than asking for advice, which would be a pretty weak troll, if it were a troll.

If you feel that this thread is not true, then don't participate in it. But stop shitting it up with accusations, reports, and random off-topic statements. Participate kindly or GTFO.

Thanks,

MGMT

MGMT --

Regardless of the actual truth behind what the OP said, when the OP had been posting one month earlier about applying to law schools, it does seem to be pretty solid grounds for questioning the story, at least in most cases.

Thanks,

LOGIC

Why is this anonymous? And okay, if it's a fake..

What now? Are we going to discuss HOW fake it is for 30 pages? I don't understand what the point of proving it's fake.

wothli

Postby wothli » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks,

MGMT

MGMT --

Thanks,

LOGIC

I agree that you have your reasons to question. But I don't see why people just don't believe what I said.
I am someone else's account, and since I have never used this forum before - I apparently have accidentally revealed her identity.
so yeah, she will have to register again.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

If not flame, then proceed as follows:

1) nanny-cam your office
2) catch bastard on film
3) profit

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:27 pm

x
Last edited by Objection on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 pm

x

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Objection wrote:* I didn't reject it as false. I questioned it. It's a serious enough issue for the mods to look into (IPs or whatever tools they have) to determine the veracity of the "shared account" story. Trolling is against TOS. Do your job.

Yeah, and I did that. I'm not going to argue with you over the semantics of "doubtful advice" vs. "willing advice," since they're the same effect and the same cost (unless one's self-worth is somehow invested into "being right" about the internet, in which case one has bigger problems than this). Giving advice is de facto treating it as true.

Most importantly: I'm not going to argue with you over whether or not I should lock a thread.

Well of course not. Your power is yours and yours alone to wield. Don't let anyone taint that feeling.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Objection wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
Objection wrote:* I didn't reject it as false. I questioned it. It's a serious enough issue for the mods to look into (IPs or whatever tools they have) to determine the veracity of the "shared account" story. Trolling is against TOS. Do your job.

Yeah, and I did that. I'm not going to argue with you over the semantics of "doubtful advice" vs. "willing advice," since they're the same effect and the same cost (unless one's self-worth is somehow invested into "being right" about the internet, in which case one has bigger problems than this). Giving advice is de facto treating it as true.

Most importantly: I'm not going to argue with you over whether or not I should lock a thread.

Well of course not. Your power is yours and yours alone to wield. Don't let anyone taint that feeling.

I shudder every time I hear "mod" and "job" in the same sentence.

He's a volunteer - and although he may be compelled to lock threads or w/e, if he wanted to take 4 months off TLS.. or logon for an hour per day instead of 4..

He's at liberty. He doesn't owe you shit, so stop acting like he does and take your doucheness elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm

... wrote:

Thank you so much for giving me all this information!
I feel so much better to know that people actually CARE.

At this point, I am afraid that going to any of these organizations is going to escalate the issue. As I said, he is pretty powerful and respectable in the field - with no knowing record of anything like this. I don't know if I will be in a good situation if I just go and report to these groups.
The reason I am saying this is that he can just go to other friends and partners, and say "this girl has no potential" - then I will pretty much be dead in the BigLaw business.
I hope that he will stop, and realize that this is immoral.

OP,
by contacting these organizations, you will not be "reporting" anything. They should treat you with the utmost respect and CONFIDENTIALITY. They also shouldn't tell you to do anything you're not comfortable with. This is not necessarily the case with law enforcement.

Talking with the advocacy groups will provide you with a safe space to talk about everything that you've experienced. You can probably do it anonymously also (there are plenty of anonymous, 24-hour support lines just for this purpose in California. Again, I am not familiar with organizations in New York). The purpose of these advocacy groups is not to force you to take action that you don't want but rather to listen to you and help you come up with a course of action that YOU want. They are the ones who can help you follow through on your plan, not people on TLS.

I am not sure how talking to them will escalate the issue. If you contacted the ones I am aware of in California, it wouldn't escalate anything. You would just be a client receiving completely confidential services.

Again, you don't have to talk to them. You don't have to talk to anyone. I am just trying to give you the best advice that I can. That advice includes talking to someone who is familiar with these issues (not rude/ignorant people on TLS). Again, you don't have to do it. That's just the best course of action I can advise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Objection wrote:MGMT --

Thanks,

LOGIC

OK "LOGIC," let's apply some:

If this is false, then:
* by treating it as if true, you lose nothing but time (which, frankly, can't be that important to us, since we're on TLS)
* by rejecting it as false, you gain...uhm...the self-worth that comes with internet cynicism. Congrats on that.

If this is true, then:
* by treating it as true, you help someone in an incredibly sticky situation
* by rejecting it as false, you're basically a douche of the highest order.

So, you tell me: am I truly some illogical retard for asking people to try just a modicum of respect for the possibility? Treating this as true has one of two potential outcomes: the biggest victory, and a negligible loss. Treating it as false has one of two potential outcomes: a negligible "win," and a loss of the highest order.

CHECK YOU GAME THEORY AND BASIC HUMAN DECENCY.

You all don't have to believe the OP. But are you contributing to this thread in a way that will help other people?

What about other people who have experienced something similar who are searching for the forums and looking for information about this issue? How is your replying to question the OP without providing any helpful information going to help these other people?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 pm

f7 wrote:Funny that Objection, of all people, is calling flame on sexual harassment.

:lol:

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:08 pm

x

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Dude, the point is that arguing over the veracity of op's claims constitutes an exercise in futility. She's said someone else used her account. How exactly will you prove her right or wrong? If you've already verbalized your incredulity, that's about as much as you can do. Just save the indignation for more worthwhile issues and move on.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 pm

x
Last edited by Objection on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:18 pm

f7 wrote:
Objection wrote:
f7 wrote:
Objection wrote:
I'm not even sure how this makes sense. Mallard, is that you?

Close. Guess you do understand how this makes sense.

Close? You must have been at the meetups. In which case, "sour grapes" is the only thing that makes sense.

Indeed. You were quite the sexual harassment expert.

Burn.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:19 pm

F7 is just mortified by her own inability to discern sexual harassment.

Edit: goddammit, I was beaten to it. Now I'm all sour grape-y.
Last edited by dresden doll on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:23 pm

x
Last edited by Objection on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:26 pm

f7 wrote:
Objection wrote:
f7 wrote:
Close? You must have been at the meetups. In which case, "sour grapes" is the only thing that makes sense.

Indeed. You were quite the sexual harassment expert.

F7 is just mortified by her own inability to discern sexual harassment.

LOL. I was operating under the assumption that F7 was a guy. Now that I know who F7 actually is...I'll let you enjoy your revised history if it helps you sleep at night.

I hear you're quite the sexual harassment expert at Harvard as well.

I love TLS.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Objection wrote:
Edit: goddammit, I was beaten to it. Now I'm all sour grape-y.

I wouldn't blame you for being sour grape-y for those meetups, actually.

Is there a support group at HLS that both F7 and I could join?

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:29 pm

x
Last edited by Objection on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:31 pm

uh, would it matter if OP is hot or not? for instance, if OP is ugly then she should be grateful for the attention. i think attractive people have more/stronger rights.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:31 pm

f7 wrote:
Objection wrote:
Naturally as my gf of nearly a year would attest to.

Anyway, its been two years...move on.

Then don't come out of the woodwork to needlessly discredit the OP of sexual harassment threads. It's pretty damn creepy.

+1

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:32 pm

joobacca wrote:uh, would it matter if OP is hot or not? for instance, if OP is ugly then she should be grateful for the attention. i think attractive people have more/stronger rights.

Weak attempt at trolling. Try again.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 pm

f7 wrote:
Objection wrote:
Naturally as my gf of nearly a year would attest to.

Anyway, its been two years...move on.

Then don't come out of the woodwork to needlessly discredit the OP of sexual harassment threads. It's pretty damn creepy.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 pm

ooh damn, this is the RAPE battle thread :(

Return to “Legal Employment”