Briefcase for SA/Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Emma.

Re: Briefcase for SA/Biglaw?

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:25 pm

blowhard wrote:
Dude, I got a briefcase for <$200 at the BB Outlet that looks nearly identical to this one.

Brooks Brothers is actually a good call, thanks.

Their website has briefcases up into the $6K range ( :shock: ) though!

esq

Postby esq » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:56 pm

esq wrote:--ImageRemoved--

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Dude, I got a briefcase for <$200 at the BB Outlet that looks nearly identical to this one.

Brooks Brothers is actually a good call, thanks.

Their website has briefcases up into the $6K range ( :shock: ) though!

Check out an outlet. They don't show the stuff on their main site. I went during a big sale and with various discounts got ~40% off. The last 10% off I got just by seeming not sure and asking if it would go on sale further anytime in the next six months.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Serious answer:

If you want a luxe bag, I've seen and used (but never owned) bags from these guys:

http://www.mw-traveler.com/

They are very high quality, American made, well under your budget, and they'll last the rest of your life. When I have the money I'm gonna get one.

Or you could spend a few hundred dollars less and buy a crappy corrected grain case that will wear out in a year.

That being said, I work in a different industry at the moment and have no idea what the 'average' SA brings to work.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 pm

notanumber wrote:Serious answer:

If you want a luxe bag, I've seen and used (but never owned) bags from these guys:

http://www.mw-traveler.com/

They are very high quality, American made, well under your budget, and they'll last the rest of your life. When I have the money I'm gonna get one.

Or you could spend a few hundred dollars less and buy a crappy corrected grain case that will wear out in a year.

This is awesome, thanks. The point of this was to give a really nice gift and exactly as you said, something that'll last. These look great, and the prices don't seem ridiculous.

I do wonder about the lock thing though. Not much point in something that lasts forever but you can't use for work... Does anyone know about this?

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 am

Kinda an old thread, but I'm slow today. As a SA, you don't need a briefcase. You don't really even NEED a briefcase as an associate. I have one, but it was my graduation gift. I actually wasn't planning on getting one (and at the time would have wanted a different graduation present), but I'm glad I have one now.

Many associates have them - although, I think most firms will give you a laptop messenger bag (the Targus kind) when you start at a first year. Definitely not needed. I also agree, no need for a $1500 briefcase - I mean partners aren't even sporting that kind of luxury. I have a Cole Hahn briefcase. It was $500 (which I thought was pretty pricey, but my parents wanted it to "last a lifetime"). It has held up extremely well and I can't foresee ever needing to buy another one. I bring it to work every day. Look for quality over brand.

And no, a LOCK isn't important.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Edit: Damn it I see I fell victim to the necro but w/e my point stands.

I'm a 0L but you can up your game:

or

I want one. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/130-briefcase-category

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Edit: Damn it I see I fell victim to the necro but w/e my point stands.

I'm a 0L but you can up your game:

or

I want one. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/130-briefcase-category

I own the briefcase in carbon black. It's fantastic.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:12 pm

alumniguy wrote:Kinda an old thread, but I'm slow today. As a SA, you don't need a briefcase. You don't really even NEED a briefcase as an associate. I have one, but it was my graduation gift. I actually wasn't planning on getting one (and at the time would have wanted a different graduation present), but I'm glad I have one now.

Many associates have them - although, I think most firms will give you a laptop messenger bag (the Targus kind) when you start at a first year. Definitely not needed. I also agree, no need for a $1500 briefcase - I mean partners aren't even sporting that kind of luxury. I have a Cole Hahn briefcase. It was $500 (which I thought was pretty pricey, but my parents wanted it to "last a lifetime"). It has held up extremely well and I can't foresee ever needing to buy another one. I bring it to work every day. Look for quality over brand.

what exactly do you carry all your shit in if not a briefcase?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:18 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
alumniguy wrote:Kinda an old thread, but I'm slow today. As a SA, you don't need a briefcase. You don't really even NEED a briefcase as an associate. I have one, but it was my graduation gift. I actually wasn't planning on getting one (and at the time would have wanted a different graduation present), but I'm glad I have one now.

what exactly do you carry all your shit in if not a briefcase?

The freebie messenger bag that most firms give you, of course! :lol:

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:18 pm

no one will really care.

but i do implore people to stop the backpack-with-suit look; it's awful

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:So the backpack is out?

Damn, I guess I have to park my rolly backpack at the bus stop on my way to my SA gig.

Return to “Legal Employment”