How screwed am I? Advice appreciated. FAFSA question/issue

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How screwed am I? Advice appreciated. FAFSA question/issue

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

So this may be a question that not too many will have info about, but I could not think of anywhere else to get the info I need. I attend NYU and I had quite a rough time getting a job for the summer, but I did manage to get one. So it is an unpaid internship working for the government, but luckily NYU has a summer funding program for unpaid internships. The long and short of it is I have complied with all the requirements for funding, except one. I did not realize that I had to file my FAFSA by the 15th of February in order to get funding. So, am I screwed? Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? BTW, taking the internship without funding is not an option since the internship requires outside funding. In addition to seeing if anyone has experience with an issue like this, I was also wondering if I should tell the financial aid office, or hope they do not notice the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

patrickd139

Re: How screwed am I? Advice appreciated. FAFSA question/issue

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So this may be a question that not too many will have info about, but I could not think of anywhere else to get the info I need. I attend NYU and I had quite a rough time getting a job for the summer, but I did manage to get one. So it is an unpaid internship working for the government, but luckily NYU has a summer funding program for unpaid internships. The long and short of it is I have complied with all the requirements for funding, except one. I did not realize that I had to file my FAFSA by the 15th of February in order to get funding. So, am I screwed? Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? BTW, taking the internship without funding is not an option since the internship requires outside funding. In addition to seeing if anyone has experience with an issue like this, I was also wondering if I should tell the financial aid office, or hope they do not notice the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

The answers to most of these questions are probably best obtained from your financial aid office. Start there.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Agree with contacting Financial Aid office, but I might also CC Career Services on it as well so they're aware of the issue. If there is a problem, they'll be able to help put some pressure on Fin Aid to not lose job ITE over something administrative.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm

as far as I know the deadline was March 15, perhaps NYU has an earlier one.

i think you can still file but your payout will likely be delayed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

OP here. Whew. I just spoke to someone from the Financial Aid office and they said I would be fine and my funding would come through. God Bless NYU.

Return to “Legal Employment”