2L at Hastings, no job, freaking out...You?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kehoema2

Re: 2L at Hastings, no job, freaking out...You?

Postby kehoema2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Clueless 0L tagging for future reference.

Sorry to do this to you OP, but also a 0L, and there's some valuable advice in here.

Good luck.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:It says that the program isn't for students.. (They would be overwhelmed with responses.)

I can't see where it says it isn't open to students. Can you please point that out to me?

Students can become members of the bar association, and are actively encouraged to do so. At least two of the counselors say in their bios that they specialize in working with students.

http://www.abcny.org/index.php/career-d ... ary-mantis

--LinkRemoved--

Here is the link about student memberships:
http://www.abcny.org/index.php/law-stud ... t-overview

The biggest drawback to this program that I see is that the $100 initial fee becomes from $200 - $500 after that first visit. Maybe being a career consultant is a better move than practicing law ;)

I still think it is worth looking at local bar associations and seeing if they have any resources to help students find jobs.

Donovan

Postby Donovan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:32 pm

To those looking for positions:

Everything will fall into place, it's not the end of the world. Keep calling and sending e-mails. E-mails aren't too bad b/c you get out everything you need to say, instead of being interrupted while speaking to someone on the phone. A lot of people prefer e-mails as well.

Try not to stress about it too much b/c people can see it in you. Just relax and do the best you can.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 pm

rose711 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:It says that the program isn't for students.. (They would be overwhelmed with responses.)

I can't see where it says it isn't open to students. Can you please point that out to me?

Students can become members of the bar association, and are actively encouraged to do so. At least two of the counselors say in their bios that they specialize in working with students.

--LinkRemoved--

The biggest drawback to this program that I see is that the $100 initial fee becomes from $200 - $500 after that first visit. Maybe being a career consultant is a better move than practicing law ;)

I still think it is worth looking at local bar associations and seeing if they have any resources to help students find jobs.

yeah, and career consultants don't have to deliver life altering advice. you file someone's criminal brief wrong and you just fucked you client and got a malpractice suit.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 pm

rose711 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

This Initial Session is limited to assisting attorneys with career issues as they relate to performance and professional development. Counselors are not providing outplacement or job placement services.

To summarize:
1. Only people who already have careers should approach this service
2. This is not a service for out of work lawyers. They are on their own.
3. So are students
4. However students are more than welcome to pay money to join the bar association
5. But they can't partake in this service.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Tenderloin1981

Postby Tenderloin1981 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 am

I have an update for everyone! I hope this will give those who are still looking for a job some hope. My friend practiced cold-calling with me, and it was very helpful. She is on the development board at my school's main law review and is stellar with that stuff. I felt a lot more comfortable calling people after our practices. We did some difficult scenarios together, and I felt less intimated after that.

I have a two informational interviews lined up this Thursday. Both are with solo practitioners, and one of them said that she might need some help with motions this summer depending on how things go! I will post another update if there is one.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 am

another 0L tagging and thanking you for providing some valuable info

Return to “Legal Employment”