question about summer employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

question about summer employment

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm

I am appealing to the wisdom of TLS. I started job search late and have put in about 50 applications (not resume drops or mass mailings - but tailored cover letters for each that wasted my time). My gpa is median 3.28 at GW and no moot court/mock trial/activities, straight out of undergrand, w/ some internships, legal work. I only got *drum roll* one interview and I received an offer today from that interview. It is about local government contracting, but since I have no experience in this field, I wonder if I would like it/help. I am interested in litigation and will be saying this at OCI but do you think this position will negatively affect me? I know I should take it but I'm just afraid I won't like/won't learn anything that I actually want to learn about - my ideal job would be with any judge, I love the courtroom. But...now I'm in this position where I have no other interviews and response and just this offer.

dakatz

Re: question about summer employment

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Seems like it is too late in the game for you to be turning down job offers. Anything legal looks better than no legal job. And if you turn this down, you may not get anything else.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:55 pm

would OCI employers care that it's not a judge or in litigation specifically?

dood

Postby dood » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:03 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:would OCI employers care that it's not a judge or in litigation specifically?

does the answer to this question even matter? (see dakatz poast)

jokes aside, no it wont, they just like u to have some legal work, ANY legal work

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 pm

dood wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:would OCI employers care that it's not a judge or in litigation specifically?

does the answer to this question even matter? (see dakatz poast)

jokes aside, no it wont, they just like u to have some legal work, ANY legal work

TCR

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:22 pm

okay ...I guess I"m very naive/hopeful about the whole process because I see some job openings on Symplicity or think that there are backup volunteer jobs in the legal field b/c who doesn't want free labor --> so I was hoping to keep on applying and getting more interviews but I'll accept the offer today. Government contracting here I come ...( :?: what's that haha)

Return to “Legal Employment”