What should I do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm

So here's the story:

Had 6 interviews last week all with small tiny teeny firms and orgs.
One of the jobs was one I really really want. The interview went great-and he said at the end it will be about a week (that is tomorrow). Should be an outright offer or decline whenever it comes-he's not doing callbacks as far as I know.

I did a nice thank you email. And have yet to hear anything from there.
I have a couple of callbacks and one other offer. But I want the job I havent heard from yet far more than the rest.

Is it ok to email or contact the job I really want again? If so when?
I was just thinking of saying something along the lines of I have some other offers on the table, but the opportunity I was hoping for was the one with you.

How long do I have to wait to do this, or should I just be patient.
I dont want to wait too long and he pick someone else, but I dont want to seem desperate and crazy either.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: What should I do?

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:30 pm

He said it will be about a week. It hasn't even been a week. Relax. They got your thank you, but give it at least a few more days. Otherwise, you might seem desperate.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So here's the story:

Had 6 interviews last week all with small tiny teeny firms and orgs.
One of the jobs was one I really really want. The interview went great-and he said at the end it will be about a week (that is tomorrow). Should be an outright offer or decline whenever it comes-he's not doing callbacks as far as I know.

I did a nice thank you email. And have yet to hear anything from there.
I have a couple of callbacks and one other offer. But I want the job I havent heard from yet far more than the rest.

Is it ok to email or contact the job I really want again? If so when?
I was just thinking of saying something along the lines of I have some other offers on the table, but the opportunity I was hoping for was the one with you.

How long do I have to wait to do this, or should I just be patient.
I dont want to wait too long and he pick someone else, but I dont want to seem desperate and crazy either.



Do you have a convenient way to contact the firm or person you interviewed with there? If so, I think laying your cards on the table could be a good thing, especially if you are facing a deadline for the other offer(s). Normally, follow-up after a job interview is expected and can really help, but it is true that with legal hiring during law school there are some situations where it is probably best not to contact them directly to check. You may want to check in quickly with career services about it. But if you have the email address for the interviewer and you have already sent a thank you to that address, I personally think it might be a good idea to let that person know it is your top choice and you hope to know as soon as possible since you have another offer on the table. HTH

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Moxie wrote:He said it will be about a week. It hasn't even been a week. Relax. They got your thank you, but give it at least a few more days. Otherwise, you might seem desperate.


Yeah, I do agree with this. Unless you have heavy pressure for the other offer to give your answer, in which case I don't think it would be a prob to contact the place you want today or tomorrow if it is at the end of the range they gave you.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: What should I do?

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:39 pm

You are at least thinking about this in the right way. As previous poster suggested, relax and give it another day. If you don't hear tomorrow you could conveniently inquire about the position over the weekend and your message will be one of the first waiting for the employer Monday morning. Should you leave a message I would do just as you said: inform employer of your competing offer but express your honest preference for this particular job.

Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 pm

OP Here:

No pressure from the other offers. yet.

I think I am just being extra psycho about this one because I really want the job so much, and I don't want to let it get away if there is anything I can do about it.

Will at least wait through tomorrow, and perhaps do what Cade suggested and send a little email over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice all. I feel like this whole process has been extremely stressful and I can only hope things get sorted out soon, with finals just around the corner.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: What should I do?

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here:

No pressure from the other offers. yet.

I think I am just being extra psycho about this one because I really want the job so much, and I don't want to let it get away if there is anything I can do about it.

Will at least wait through tomorrow, and perhaps do what Cade suggested and send a little email over the weekend.

Thanks for the advice all. I feel like this whole process has been extremely stressful and I can only hope things get sorted out soon, with finals just around the corner.


At least wait until Monday before contacting the firm. Odds are anyway that they'll reply by or on that day.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.