Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 pm

What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:What do ya'll think of the narrow lapels on the Brooks Bro's Fitzgerald? I love the cut of the suit...but I'm a bit skeptical of the lapels.

Depends a lot on your personal style, body type, etc.
Narrow lapels are trendy and old school at the same time. They were extremely popular in the 60s, but then gave way to those ridiculous looking 70s jackets with the lapels that cover your entire chest.
The Fitzgerald is definitely a fashion forward look from BB. It's one of their slimmest fits. Just remember that the narrow lapels work best for slimmer guys. This of course doesn't mean you have to be super skinny to wear it; very tailored fits can help to slim your silhouette if you are carrying a couple extra pounds, but can you picture Ray Lewis or Dwight Howard with those little tiny lapels? It's a proportion thing. Speaking of which, narrow lapels also call for a narrower tie and a smaller knot; and for the pants to have no-break, meaning they barely graze the tops of your shoes when you are standing.
So to actually anwser your question, instead of rambling on....I like the Fitzgerald a lot. It looks like something I would wear, but I have a pretty narrow build (38 jacket), and I prefer slim fits. Keep in mind the suit's proportions to your body, and to the rest of your wardrobe, and it can be a great look.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?

Great point. Simple, clean, well tailored will never be out of style. Speaking of which, this whole discussion can be solved through the following:
1.Go see the movie "Limitless"
2.Stop wishing you could get those pills-it ain't gonna happen
3.Dress like cleaned up Eddy Mora
4.Profit

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?


I'm sorry I don't hate fun and interesting things.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?


I'm sorry I don't hate fun and interesting things.

Huh?

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby dougroberts » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?


I hate white shirts because:
1. Semi-see through, which I do not like when I am not wearing a suit (which is often); and
2. I am messy which is no good for white.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

dougroberts wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?


I hate white shirts because:
1. Semi-see through, which I do not like when I am not wearing a suit (which is often); and
2. I am messy which is no good for white.

I will admit that I think I have a problem with toxic sweat. I actually had to throw a purple label dress shirt in the trash recently because after only 1 year it had developed irreversible pit stains. I know, gross.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 am

Capitol A wrote:
dougroberts wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:What did a standard white shirt ever do to any of you?


I hate white shirts because:
1. Semi-see through, which I do not like when I am not wearing a suit (which is often); and
2. I am messy which is no good for white.

I will admit that I think I have a problem with toxic sweat. I actually had to throw a purple label dress shirt in the trash recently because after only 1 year it had developed irreversible pit stains. I know, gross.

Undershirts? wife beaters?

An undershirt is also going to keep the white shirt from looking see through.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby afc1910 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 am

...
Last edited by afc1910 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 am

I have two solutions for you:
1. white Hanes t-shirt; and/or
2. --LinkRemoved--

i appreciate the suggestions...i hate undershirts. partially because it's hot as hell in phoenix, and I do not need an extra layer, partially because if you're not wearing a tie you see that neck line in your open shirt collar, and partially because if the shirt is thin you will see the sleeves on your arms (even worse outline if you're wearing an 'a-shirt' -the actual name of "wife beaters").
Question about that drysol though....Is it meant to make you sweat less? Or is meant to help with stains? The weird thing is that I'm not a profuse sweater. For example, I can wear light gray t-shirts and I don't get those wet marks under my arms (unless of course its extremely hot, but no deodarant in the world can stop sweat in 120F summers). If it does something to stop my stains though, I'll be ordering a case this afternoon.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby alumniguy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:44 am

Capitol A wrote:i hate undershirts. partially because it's hot as hell in phoenix, and I do not need an extra layer, partially because if you're not wearing a tie you see that neck line in your open shirt collar, and partially because if the shirt is thin you will see the sleeves on your arms (even worse outline if you're wearing an 'a-shirt' -the actual name of "wife beaters").


Get V-Neck Hanes T-Shirts - no neck line in your open shirt collar. Also, just saying but I'd MUCH rather see the outline of the sleeves of a white T-Shirt than sweat rings. It's just gross. Plus, it makes your shirts last longer (and you can get multiple wears out of a pressed shirt).

I don't understand wife-beaters - maybe they stop chest/back sweat, but is that really an issue for most guys?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 am

alumniguy wrote:
Capitol A wrote:i hate undershirts. partially because it's hot as hell in phoenix, and I do not need an extra layer, partially because if you're not wearing a tie you see that neck line in your open shirt collar, and partially because if the shirt is thin you will see the sleeves on your arms (even worse outline if you're wearing an 'a-shirt' -the actual name of "wife beaters").


Get V-Neck Hanes T-Shirts - no neck line in your open shirt collar. Also, just saying but I'd MUCH rather see the outline of the sleeves of a white T-Shirt than sweat rings. It's just gross. Plus, it makes your shirts last longer (and you can get multiple wears out of a pressed shirt).

I don't understand wife-beaters - maybe they stop chest/back sweat, but is that really an issue for most guys?

hAHAHA. of course you'd rather see collar and sleeves than sweat stains. Believe me, I know it's gross. I see my shirts, and my wife gives me hell about it. i get rid of them the moment the stains arrive.
Maybe when I'm wearing jackets with everything the undershirt will work better for me. With a jacket and tie you don't see the sleeve outline anyway.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 pm

i always though wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt was like, a big no-no?

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 pm

traehekat wrote:i always though wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt was like, a big no-no?

i don't know...i never wear them (undershirts).
my dad never goes without one, and I just think the neck line looks horrendous. (negated if wearing a tie of course).
maybe I will shop for some super deep v's. That way the neck line isn't an issue...That's my real hang up.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby afc1910 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

...
Last edited by afc1910 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Capitol A wrote:
traehekat wrote:i always though wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt was like, a big no-no?

i don't know...i never wear them (undershirts).
my dad never goes without one, and I just think the neck line looks horrendous. (negated if wearing a tie of course).
maybe I will shop for some super deep v's. That way the neck line isn't an issue...That's my real hang up.

I also wear the deep V's so I have no problem. Really, undershirts are the way to go. The sleeves aren't readily noticeable unless it is a cheap shirt.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 pm

afc1910 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Question about that drysol though....Is it meant to make you sweat less? Or is meant to help with stains? The weird thing is that I'm not a profuse sweater. For example, I can wear light gray t-shirts and I don't get those wet marks under my arms (unless of course its extremely hot, but no deodarant in the world can stop sweat in 120F summers). If it does something to stop my stains though, I'll be ordering a case this afternoon.


Drysol is supposed to reduce excessive sweating. So essentially you just don't sweat at all. So I suppose if you do not sweat, there are no stains. It's super strong though, and it's a treatment that you need a prescription for - you use it for a period of time (6 months? a year?) until your sweating is under control, and then stop. It works really well though, and it is not expensive.

Although, now that I think about it, if you are in a really warm climate, and your body cannot cool itself through your armpits, it might try to cool itself through other parts of your body. So in your case, it might increase sweating in other areas (neck? back?). I dunno. I am speculating.

Thanks. I didn't think about the possiblity of sweating more from other places. While I hate pit stains, i think groin stains would probably be worse!

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
traehekat wrote:i always though wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt was like, a big no-no?

i don't know...i never wear them (undershirts).
my dad never goes without one, and I just think the neck line looks horrendous. (negated if wearing a tie of course).
maybe I will shop for some super deep v's. That way the neck line isn't an issue...That's my real hang up.

I also wear the deep V's so I have no problem. Really, undershirts are the way to go. The sleeves aren't readily noticeable unless it is a cheap shirt.

I'm considering the deep v's. Worth the $6 to see if I can save a few $150 shirts.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby alumniguy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Capitol A wrote:I'm considering the deep v's. Worth the $6 to see if I can save a few $150 shirts.


Good call. Also, go for the cheap Hanes as opposed to more expensive brands (like CK) because the shirts are thinner and they hold up better.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Well, after reading this thread I was inspired to hit up BB for work clothes. The sales they have going on now are pretty solid, particularly when combined with the 25% off when using a Brooks Card. I picked up three slim-fit non-iron dress shirts (white, lighter blue, and and a blue pattern) and three pairs of chinos (navy, stone, and dark khaki) for around $350. I think this is the most I've ever spent on clothes at one time (suits notwithstanding), but I suppose I was gonna need to buy them one way or the other. And I like to look good.

Edit: And this comes a week or so after I picked up four Vineyard Vines polos. Apparently my life savings is going towards clothes now.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am

beachbum wrote:Well, after reading this thread I was inspired to hit up BB for work clothes. The sales they have going on now are pretty solid, particularly when combined with the 25% off when using a Brooks Card. I picked up three slim-fit non-iron dress shirts (white, lighter blue, and and a blue pattern) and three pairs of chinos (navy, stone, and dark khaki) for around $350. I think this is the most I've ever spent on clothes at one time (suits notwithstanding), but I suppose I was gonna need to buy them one way or the other. And I like to look good.

Edit: And this comes a week or so after I picked up four Vineyard Vines polos. Apparently my life savings is going towards clothes now.

You got dooked

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Well, after reading this thread I was inspired to hit up BB for work clothes. The sales they have going on now are pretty solid, particularly when combined with the 25% off when using a Brooks Card. I picked up three slim-fit non-iron dress shirts (white, lighter blue, and and a blue pattern) and three pairs of chinos (navy, stone, and dark khaki) for around $350. I think this is the most I've ever spent on clothes at one time (suits notwithstanding), but I suppose I was gonna need to buy them one way or the other. And I like to look good.

Edit: And this comes a week or so after I picked up four Vineyard Vines polos. Apparently my life savings is going towards clothes now.

You got dooked


No kidding. I've always liked to dress nice (more towards the bro side), but the Duke thing has just pushed me over the edge. Fuck living frugally, I need new Sperrys.

(But seriously, I think I'm gonna return the three BB shirts. Just wasn't as crazy about em when I tried them on at home- a little too big/boxy for me.)

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby camelcrema » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Why is there a trend toward white/light-colored shirts? I like dark-colored shirts, but I've heard that's considered not conservative enough?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

camelcrema wrote:Why is there a trend toward white/light-colored shirts? I like dark-colored shirts, but I've heard that's considered not conservative enough?


ughh i haaaate dark colored shirts. its so.... high school dance.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby alumniguy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

camelcrema wrote:Why is there a trend toward white/light-colored shirts? I like dark-colored shirts, but I've heard that's considered not conservative enough?


Um, white/light colored shirts are classic shirts - it isn't a trend. If anything, the colored shirts are a trend (and by colored I'm thinking dark solid colored shirts). I can tell you that most lawyers, at least in NYC, do NOT wear colored shirts.

Colored shirts look best with light colored pants and since most lawyers wear dark pants/suits, a light colored shirt will look best. The colored shirt/dark pants combination just looks to guido in my opinion.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.