Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alumniguy

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 pm

drmguy wrote:I keep reading slim fit this and slim fit that but I have no idea how slim any of these are. I personally own several slim fit BB shirts and they really are loose on me. I am 6'1" 165 and I need to find something that fits better.

The only credited BB shirts are the extra slim fit shirts. Not all stores carry them, but you can get them online. There is one on sale now for $40.

But yea, no one cares about shirt brands. It is mostly about fit and then about quality.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 pm

random question - is there any stupid ass rule about shirts with no pocket (as in don't wear them because blah-blah-blah-arbitrary-rule-blah-blah)? the ck body shirts (--LinkRemoved--) fit me perfect but typically dont have pockets. anyone gunna give a shit about this?

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:29 pm

dakatz wrote:I was curious about this issue, so I asked a family friend who works in a large law firm. He said that in his experience (working for 2 different law firms), no one cares about brands. All that matters is that it fits well and looks neat. He said this is particularly true with shirts (since the times in which your appearance is particularly key, you will be wearing your suit jacket over it anyway). He says he never spent much on shirts. He did say he has 2 particularly nice suits for important meetings, as well as one particularly nice pair of shoes, but most certainly not the $360 shoes some people on here seem to mention.

Curious if your family friend works in NYC? My experience is that NYC firms tend to be a little more into "looking the part." then else where. When you're making $250k a year (as a mid-level), you can afford to spend 3 bills on a pair of shoes that is going to last you 5 -10 years. Do all guys do this? Absolutely not. But when you look at what the partners and counsel are wearing, I can tell you that for the most part they are wearing quality, expensive shoes every day of the week.

The fact of the matter is that in NYC, $300 is NOT a lot of money for a good pair of quality leather shoes. I mean you can go to Bloomingdales and see dress shoes costing upwards of $1k (and I don't even know how much shoes run at Saks, Barneys and Bergdorf). In my opinion, as junior/midlevel anything over $350/$400 is overkill. But, in my experience, you're going to notice a distinct difference in leather quality when you get over the $200 price threshold

My shoes: collection of Saks branded shoes (got these at the outlet mall); Testoni; and a few off-brands from the DSW in Union Square (but I wouldn't advocate DSW in smaller markets because they carry different stuff).

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 pm

traehekat wrote:random question - is there any stupid ass rule about shirts with no pocket (as in don't wear them because blah-blah-blah-arbitrary-rule-blah-blah)? the ck body shirts (--LinkRemoved--) fit me perfect but typically dont have pockets. anyone gunna give a shit about this?

Absolutely not. In fact, if anything, I'd say that no pockets are probably seen as a bit more stylish and popular these days.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:37 pm

alumniguy wrote:
dakatz wrote:I was curious about this issue, so I asked a family friend who works in a large law firm. He said that in his experience (working for 2 different law firms), no one cares about brands. All that matters is that it fits well and looks neat. He said this is particularly true with shirts (since the times in which your appearance is particularly key, you will be wearing your suit jacket over it anyway). He says he never spent much on shirts. He did say he has 2 particularly nice suits for important meetings, as well as one particularly nice pair of shoes, but most certainly not the $360 shoes some people on here seem to mention.

Curious if your family friend works in NYC? My experience is that NYC firms tend to be a little more into "looking the part." then else where. When you're making $250k a year (as a mid-level), you can afford to spend 3 bills on a pair of shoes that is going to last you 5 -10 years. Do all guys do this? Absolutely not. But when you look at what the partners and counsel are wearing, I can tell you that for the most part they are wearing quality, expensive shoes every day of the week.

The fact of the matter is that in NYC, $300 is NOT a lot of money for a good pair of quality leather shoes. I mean you can go to Bloomingdales and see dress shoes costing upwards of $1k (and I don't even know how much shoes run at Saks, Barneys and Bergdorf). In my opinion, as junior/midlevel anything over $350/$400 is overkill. But, in my experience, you're going to notice a distinct difference in leather quality when you get over the $200 price threshold

My shoes: collection of Saks branded shoes (got these at the outlet mall); Testoni; and a few off-brands from the DSW in Union Square (but I wouldn't advocate DSW in smaller markets because they carry different stuff).

No, he is in Philly, not NYC. I can certainly see how such expensive shirts and shoes become affordable once your salary goes up high enough (and he admits that he will treat himself to a pretty high end suit and pair of shoes every once in awhile). But this guy comes from a blue collar area, sort of like me, and that never really leaves you, and keeps you grounded in functionality, rather than style. Perhaps my philosophy will change if I get a job working in a large law firm. The idea of spending $250 on a pair of shoes sounds insane to me now, but perhaps thats a product of the fact that I have no job and no income, and I debate whether to spend $10 to get Thai food, or to just make myself Easy Mac. I'm honestly very curious to see how myself in 5 years will compare.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:50 pm

dakatz wrote:
alumniguy wrote:

No, he is in Philly, not NYC. I can certainly see how such expensive shirts and shoes become affordable once your salary goes up high enough (and he admits that he will treat himself to a pretty high end suit and pair of shoes every once in awhile). But this guy comes from a blue collar area, sort of like me, and that never really leaves you, and keeps you grounded in functionality, rather than style. Perhaps my philosophy will change if I get a job working in a large law firm. The idea of spending $250 on a pair of shoes sounds insane to me now, but perhaps thats a product of the fact that I have no job and no income, and I debate whether to spend $10 to get Thai food, or to just make myself Easy Mac. I'm honestly very curious to see how myself in 5 years will compare.

The difference her is that Thai take out and easy mac both nourish you equally well. crappy shoes look like crap and will wear out, while quality shoes will look nice and will last. i would think that your blue collar background (which I share) would make you steer toward value. You definitely do not need to spend $1k. Cole Haan makes insanely comfortable, high quality shoes for no more than $250-$300, and they have a refurbishment program, so if they start to look ragged you just send them back and they get restored for next to nothing.
LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:a good tailor is the most important part of your wardrobe. if you find a good one and give him constant business, he will do it for you at a discount. unless you can find a brand of slim fit shirts that fit you just right, you should include tailoring costs for all of your shirts as well as suits and pants.

every example posted in this thread looks like crap, except maybe the pink one. as much as i hate the company, rugby has some good stuff. several of my rugby teammates applied to work for their stores over the past two years since no one was hiring. they didn't get hired because their faces were all messed up with broken noses and cauliflower ear from rugby. very athletic looking and hardworking guys. just some hate for a&f wanna be practices.

BB is made for fatties. if you go this route, it would be best to get as many shirts as cheaply as you can and take them all to a tailor and try to get a deal. The guy that I go to back home, in la, started at $35 but now charges me $15/shirt. from what i have seen for first time visits, low end is $15ish up to $40/shirt depending on the quality of the tailor. if you bring a large order all at once, he should drop the price. smaller cities will adjust by cost of living.

btw that's for the body to be taken in. if you have small arms/shoulders it should be another ~$5-10 to get those made smaller.

Unless you have a really unusual body shape, everyone should be able to find a shirt that fits properly. maybe not perfectly, but properly.
I don't think I get what you're saying about Rugby....you look down on a company for wanting to have attractive sales staff, when what they are selling is basically good looks? I get that you said these were actual rugby players applying for a job at a place called "rugby" but you do understand that the people designing, selling, buying, and wearing these clothese don't know the first thing about rugby, right?
I had 1 black label RL shirt that fit really well but 300 bucks for 1 shirt is insane.

No question. the price is outrageous, but fits are absolutely spot on, and truthfully, you could wear the same navy suit and white shirt with a really nice pair of shoes, every single day, and if the quality is beautiful, and the fits are impeccable, no one will think a thing of it.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Somthing that I can't believe hasn't been mentioned here....Throw out all of this info if you don't have a decent haircut.
A good barber shop will give you a haircut every 4wks for like $20, and clean up around your ears for free in between. Tom Ford himself could custom make every item in your wardrobe and you will look like a slob if you let your hair be shaggy and you don't shave properly/regularly.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey, I am originally from the Midwest (so I know ALL about being frugal). Unfortunately NYC is a beast unlike any other. For example, before I moved here I thought Macys was a pretty acceptable place to shop. They had what I thought were good brands at the time. Fast forward to NYC and I usually won't step foot in the Macys here. For the most part, they don't have quality merchandise (nor do I enjoy the crazy atmosphere).

But as Capitol A mentioned, being frugal does not mean buying the cheapest thing, it means buying the best value. I can't tell you how many times I used to buy stuff because it was on sale and it was cheap. I would buy 5 pairs of jeans I sorta liked but convince myself I really liked them because they were such a good deal. Now I just buy one pair of jeans that I actually like for $175 and call it a day. Just saved $75, got a better quality item and something that I actually like.

I don't think you need to buy 5 pairs of $250 shoes. You have to stay within your budget. To be honest, I am always looking for a deal, even if I don't need anything. Business casual styles don't change that much - especially for conservatively dressed professions. So you buy at the end of the season in advance for next season.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:32 pm

alumniguy wrote:Hey, I am originally from the Midwest (so I know ALL about being frugal). Unfortunately NYC is a beast unlike any other. For example, before I moved here I thought Macys was a pretty acceptable place to shop. They had what I thought were good brands at the time. Fast forward to NYC and I usually won't step foot in the Macys here. For the most part, they don't have quality merchandise (nor do I enjoy the crazy atmosphere).

But as Capitol A mentioned, being frugal does not mean buying the cheapest thing, it means buying the best value. I can't tell you how many times I used to buy stuff because it was on sale and it was cheap. I would buy 5 pairs of jeans I sorta liked but convince myself I really liked them because they were such a good deal. Now I just buy one pair of jeans that I actually like for $175 and call it a day. Just saved $75, got a better quality item and something that I actually like.

I don't think you need to buy 5 pairs of $250 shoes. You have to stay within your budget. To be honest, I am always looking for a deal, even if I don't need anything. Business casual styles don't change that much - especially for conservatively dressed professions. So you buy at the end of the season in advance for next season.

Yeah, I think the real take home for this is that cheap =/= value, and expensive =/= quality. you need to keep your eye out for both.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Do you think BB will have a better sale before June then what they have now (3 non-iron shirts for $178)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Poor OP. All he had asked for was whether this was a good deal. As a frequent BB customer, let me give you a quick advice:

Open a Brooks Card. Believe me. The benefit you receive is tremendous. I have Nordstorm/Macys/Bloomingdales card and none can beat a Brooks Card.

If you have a Brooks Card, you are entitled to the stated 25% discount (on the website, Brooks holder pay $157/3 shirts). If you open a Card today, you get an additional 15%. In sum, you pay only $134 for 3 BB shirts, which comes out to be $44/shirt.

Also, as a Card holder, BB will periodically send you random $20 coupons every few months, a $25 coupon for your birthday, and if you spend X amount of money, you receive $20 coupons/X amount spent.

Word of caution: I would never pay full price on BB items (except one time when I really needed those shirts) and have learned the cardinal principle of stocking up when I see a sale. Similarly, I would never shop at a BB factory store for work attire. I would go to factory stores for casual needs.

Despite my endorsement of BB, I do need to add a fair observation. I have colleagues who shop at Ross for their ties and they look great in them. I don't know where they get their suits. I don't think it is from Ross. Similarly, my SO dresses really nicely, but I do not think it is from BB.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 pm

I work in NYC biglaw. Nobody expects you to wear $300 shoes. The only time most partners are wearing $1000 shoes is if they are meeting clients. Maybe things are different at some of the more stuffy firms...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Poor OP. All he had asked for was whether this was a good deal. As a frequent BB customer, let me give you a quick advice:

Open a Brooks Card. Believe me. The benefit you receive is tremendous. I have Nordstorm/Macys/Bloomingdales card and none can beat a Brooks Card.

If you have a Brooks Card, you are entitled to the stated 25% discount (on the website, Brooks holder pay $157/3 shirts). If you open a Card today, you get an additional 15%. In sum, you pay only $134 for 3 BB shirts, which comes out to be $44/shirt.

Also, as a Card holder, BB will periodically send you random $20 coupons every few months, a $25 coupon for your birthday, and if you spend X amount of money, you receive $20 coupons/X amount spent.

Word of caution: I would never pay full price on BB items (except one time when I really needed those shirts) and have learned the cardinal principle of stocking up when I see a sale. Similarly, I would never shop at a BB factory store for work attire. I would go to factory stores for casual needs.

Despite my endorsement of BB, I do need to add a fair observation. I have colleagues who shop at Ross for their ties and they look great in them. I don't know where they get their suits. I don't think it is from Ross. Similarly, my SO dresses really nicely, but I do not think it is from BB.

haha, funny cause i actually just opened a BB card today when i picked up a few things. it is indeed a pretty sweet deal.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:45 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 am

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Poor OP. All he had asked for was whether this was a good deal. As a frequent BB customer, let me give you a quick advice:

haha, funny cause i actually just opened a BB card today when i picked up a few things. it is indeed a pretty sweet deal.

I really don't want to be opening more credit cards just for discounts.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 am

dougroberts wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I really don't want to be opening more credit cards just for discounts.

yeah i absolutely hate credit cards. a lot of times with these stores when im buying a bunch of stuff i just open the card to get the discount, pay off the bill right then and there, and then when i get the card in the mail i call the number on the back of the card and cancel, then cut up the card.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:27 am

HamDel wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
phonepro wrote:this thread is ridiculous to a point. i worked at v5 before law school. yes, i was a paralegal, but i saw what the associates/summers wore. its not that big of a deal. business casual. wear a shirt and a tie, dont look like a slob. actually most attorneys didnt even wear ties, but i always liked to.

SOME firms are business formal, you know. You obviously didn't work at CSM.

OMG CRAVATH UR LIFE IS GONNA TOTALLY RULE HOLY CRAP YOU GET TO TAKE ORDERZ FROM THE BEST 22 YEAR OLD INVESTMENT BANKERZ!!!!! SIK!!!!!

You're super mad.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Do not wear shirts with pink on them. It's cool in a douchey way in college, in the real world, it's just douchey.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:37 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:I freaked out before my SA about clothes thinking that people would notice if I wore cheaper clothes. I bought two $800 suits, to go along with two Brooks Brothers suits I got for $200 each on sale. I bought 2 pair of Allen Edmonds at $300 per pair. I bought some expensive ass ties. Etc., etc., etc. Then I showed up at the firm and everyone else wore much less expensive clothes and not one person gave a damn about how other people dressed. The partners probably dressed the absolute worst. There was one transactional partner that wore hawaiin shirts every day (and this was at a V50). The managing partner wore shoes that looked like they were loafers with a Nike Air Max sole. This wasn't NYC, but a partner that came over from the NYC office dressed pretty ridiculous and gave me hell for wearing a tie and a jacket to work (he was one of those, "I'm different, I'm edgy, I'm an open minded IP lawyer" guys). So bottom line, I wouldn't stress over clothes. Get 3-4 Navy and Gray suits for $200-300 each; get some shirts from Ross, get some $30 ties from Macy's, and you'll be all set. Wait till you get the offer to drop money on anything expensive.

While the advice in this thread seems to be pretty good, from everything I've heard from 3Ls and attorneys, this is the most credited. Buy wearable clothes for your SA position, then step it up when you are working there full-time.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:35 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Get 3-4 Navy and Gray suits for $200-300 each; get some shirts from Ross, get some $30 ties from Macy's, and you'll be all set. Wait till you get the offer to drop money on anything expensive.

Completely agree that summers don't need to spend a ton of money on a bunch of work clothes, the point that I was attempting to make is that I would NOT do what is recommended in the quote above.

It is highly unlikely that any summer associate would need 3-4 suits (it is possible that some firms require associates to wear business dress everyday, but it is not common. Three suits max, likely only two. Get one gray and one blue. Since you're only buying two suits, you can spend a bit more on each one.

The point is that you should beginning to think about investing in long term clothes for your career as a summer - you aren't going to have a complete wardrobe now, but summers should start.

As a summer you should be mixing nicer pieces with cheaper pieces. Places where I think you can go cheap are: ties, socks, slacks. Places where I wouldn't go cheap: shirts, suits, shoes.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm

traehekat wrote:
ruski wrote:charles tyrwitt is way better than brooks brothers. esp their slim fit line.

hmm nice selection of slim fit/tailored, for sure. im also curious about how their slim line compares to BB. im pretty skinny and even the slim fits at BB are a bit big on me. so far the only shirt that i feel fits me perfect are the slim fit body shirts from CK.

EDIT: diggin' this - http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shirts/men's-dress-shirts/Carter-lilac-Prince-of-Wales-check-tailored-fit-dress-shirt?q=usddefault||FD020LLC|||||1862,||||||||&ppp=23

Damn that is nice.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:09 pm

btw, i take back my BB slim fit shit talking. i picked one up today that fits absolutely perfect.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:41 am

In my experience, CT slim fit and BB slim fit are basically the same fit - which for skinny guys is not that slim. Last time I checked CT did not have a slimmer cut than the slim fit line; however, BB has the "extra slim fit" cut that in my opinion is a good fit for business casual dress shirts (still not trendy tight, but it fits well).

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

crazycanuck wrote:Do not wear shirts with pink on them. It's cool in a douchey way in college, in the real world, it's just douchey.

Are you serious? How is a pink dress shirt, or a pink and white microstripe douchey? That makes no sense. Of course white and blue are business staples, but to anyone over the age of 11, light pink is perfectly acceptable for men.
Three suits max, likely only two. Get one gray and one blue. Since you're only buying two suits, you can spend a bit more on each one.

The point is that you should beginning to think about investing in long term clothes for your career as a summer - you aren't going to have a complete wardrobe now, but summers should start.

As a summer you should be mixing nicer pieces with cheaper pieces. Places where I think you can go cheap are: ties, socks, slacks. Places where I wouldn't go cheap: shirts, suits, shoes.

This is good advice. Spend more where the difference in quality will really show. Save elsewhere. Also, love the line aobut thinking of your wardrobe as an investment. Look for value and take care of your clothes, and spending a little more now will pay off several years from now when you still have these items and they are in good shape. Look at it the same way when picking styles. Super slim fits and narrow lapels and skinny ties might seem cool now, but if you go for something extremely classic, then you wont be shopping again to 3 years from now when everyone is going back to power ties and 4 inch lapels. Think about all your destroyed bootcut jeans. Where are they now? you probably (hopefully) through them away in the last year or so and have replaced them with slim/straight selvedge denim. If you would have bought dark 501s in the first place, they would have been cool back then, and you'd still be wearing them now.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 am

What do ya'll think of the narrow lapels on the Brooks Bro's Fitzgerald? I love the cut of the suit...but I'm a bit skeptical of the lapels.

Return to “Legal Employment”